Hamilton vs Ottawa -thoughts of the game

It is not just his positioning and footwork that is suspect but he often doesn’t wrap up his tackles anymore. I doubt moving to CB would fix that. Something else is off about him.

Over all a very good game and showing.The only silly offensive call was the 3rd & goal attempted run up the middle…how predictable…everyone in the stadium knew what they were going to do…I sure hope I don’t see that this year…or the old-school zone defense except for a blitz.

When are the two cut down days ?for releasing players

JUNE 8 – TEAMS MUST CUT DOWN FROM TRAINING CAMP ROSTER BY 10:00 P.M. ET

Leonard was essentially covering half the football field. He’s the one who had to make stops 40-yds downfield when the rookie HB/CB got burned.

If they decide to start a Canadian at running back, which looks like the case(Thomas-Erlington), then you can bet they will start five import receivers. Nothing against Mike Jones or Chambers, who I both like, and who will make the team in some form or other unless one is traded. The 'Cats are in a more advantageous position by starting five import receivers just by back-up depth alone. The seven starting Canadians will be: 4 OL, 1 RB, 1 DT, and 1 Safety. There will be no need to start eight Canadians.

They still have problems at SAM. Hurst looked a little lost trying to cover. I really wanted to see them try Mike Daly at that spot he hits hard and can cover. If they are going to play Adeleke at safety then they could move daily to SAM as an option to Ricco Murry.

Murray is back according to Training Camp thread. I suppose Daly at SAM might give some ratio flexibility?

They would NEVER play Daly at SAM. He doesn’t have the speed to play that position.

Probably not, but if Murry doesn’t work out none of the guys they played Sat looked good.

Hurst was all over the field. Even when he didn’t make the primary tackle he was still in the vicinity. He has NFL experience and just needs a little more time to adjust to the waggle in regards to his pass coverage. His run tackling and pursuit abilities were great.

SAM in the CFL is a tough gig. Last year Unamba was invisible the first few games until he grasped the nuances and settled in to the role.

With either Hurst or Rico we will be fine at SAM LB.

Hurst was the best of the lot, but for a cornerback I would have expected him to show better in pass coverage. He made a lot of tackles because they were passing to his zone. Now that could just be Ott offensive game plan or it could be a response to his coverage. I’m sure the coaching staff sees promise in him he started and got a good chunk of the playing time. If Murry plays the way he can and doesn’t miss any significant playing time to injuries it will be a mute point I guess.

Edit: In Hurst’s defense he hasn’t played a live game since 2015 so it may just be rust.

Oh and just for comparison Daly and Hurst are fairly close.
Height Weight Bench 40 Vert Broad 3cone Shuttle
DALY, Michael 6’ 0.5"181 DNP 4.74 35.00 9’ 3" 7.15 4.22
Hurst, Demontre 5’ 9" 189 11 4.51 37 in 10’ 0" 7.16 4.26

Both are 2013 pre-draft numbers. So I would imagine they have slowed down some.
I doubt they gave any consideration to playing a national at SAM. Too busy sorting through all the other prospects they have in camp. It might have provided them with some options later if injuries pop up.

Considering most of the DBs were hopefuls and didn’t have too many veteran players around them to help them out, that isn’t surprising. Remember the primary concern for the coaches in these games is to evaluate potential starters or backup and if they are getting burned too often they’ll be gone.

Daly is better left at Safety where he does a good job as he’s quick to see things and communicate to the other players if they need to adjust their position. I suspect now that Rico has arrived he’ll be slotted into the SAM position where he played well when he was with the team before. I suspect that might be one reason they brought him back - SAM is best played by a player with some CFL experience - not a rookie. Hurst might be a decent back up at the position - if he can also play specials.
I was impressed with Allen on returns - more so than White who also did some returning later in the game. That skill might give Allen a roster spot.

My guess is they are seriously looking at Adeleke for the safety spot. Leaving Daly the odd man out, back to the teams maybe. Would be nice if he could fill in at more than one position. That was more where I was going with him getting some preseason time at SAM. I like Daly, he has football smarts and heart, would like to see him stick around.

I don’t get people who make their own thread to comment on the game - if we all did this the forum would be swamped with redundant threads. There was a play by play thread that your thoughts could have been posted in.

Don’t take your opinions so seriously, Niagraguy. They don’t deserve a separate thread, and the same goes for all of us.

We always used to have two threads. A play by play thread for comments during the game. Then either a Kiss the Witches or more likely a Burn the Witches thread for people who want to comment post-game.

So what’s the big deal? Put your violations book away for once and just join the party already.

Agreed…there should be two threads (and only the two). One for the play by play and one for the post game thoughts. I always found it weird when people post in the play by play game day thread 3 days after the game is over.

Any other post game thoughts threads…I agree with him that you don’t need to start your own thread.

Is there an online app for issuing these violations?