Hamilton Toronto Montreal Newspapers Pay Wall

The Spectator, the Globe and Mail and the Montreal Gazette, all have on line additions and are now charging readership fees for their online editions- other Canadian newspapers will likely follow. These papers charge $9 - $20 per month to the readership making CFL content more difficult to view. Up to this year fans were able to follow the CFL by reading , without cost, the sports content on the nations newspapers. I was just reading the Hamilton paper when I was informed that my " five free articles per month" have expired. Since I don't wish to pay to read all these Canadian newspapers, it has become difficult and, frustrating, to attempt receiving CFL news from hometowns across he country. The fee system, I imagine, is essential to firm up the newspaper industry declining circulation. I get the print editions of the National Post, The Niagara Falls Review and the Toronto Star but I miss my former daily hour of obtaining local news. and sports, from across Canada. Any ideas on how to beat the pay wall?

Alternative sources aiming to make money off of add revenue will gain momentum.

It is sad, but print is becoming a dinosaur. Many of these relics of old press companies, news papers, and magazines have failed to get on board and have steep hills to climb. Things like the New York Times will do okay with charging a monthly fee, but the average digital paper will have a hard go of that.

Yahoo seems to be making strives on its news front. I believe they have put solid effort into focusing on the news media in the social networking world...something that has been not been taken full advantage of.

agree with you 100% Niagara. . . it's darn frustrating. . .

For the spec. Just hit the stop feature on your browser before the article completes loading and you'll avoid the subscription wall.

Works every time... but don't repeat that too loudly... :wink:

The end of the newspaper industry as we know it is coming to an end. There's just too many other free ways to keep up with the news online and read opinion pieces.

After you've hit your limit of free articles, clear your cookies before visiting the site and you'll get another set of freebies. Lather, rinse, repeat. Dead easy.

Newspapers are on their last legs.

psssssst...hey joe....where do you find the stop feature on the browser? :smiley:

Using IE it is the X in the address bar

Which is why we have Google News and TSN.ca. Heck if the newspapers want to shoot themselves in the foot, let them.

Any of the articles from the Spec on the Ti-Cats are posted on Drew’s blog. Maybe there are more than what he posts, but I read his stuff and that keeps me sufficiently informed.

And I don’t have a problem with paywalls. With print media dying more and more each day, newspapers need to come up with new revenue streams to stay in business. If that means you have to pay to get their online content, that’s fine by me. The alternative to paying is getting hacks who will take less money than the guys doing it now and the world of CFL reporting would be a worse place without guys like Drew Edwards and Steve Milton in it.

Obviously you did not mean to say that "the end . . . is coming to an end," but as to your second sentence -- anyone who thinks actual journalism will occur without revenue being generated to pay for it had better give their head a shake. It costs money to serve as a watchdog on government, taxpayer-funded institutions, and even privately owned ventures like the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. If all the newspapers go out of business because no one was willing to pay a small online fee for content, who exactly will generate the content whose expense is being bemoaned in this thread? If there's no Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, National Post, Ottawa Citizen, etc., who will hold the government accountable for how it spends our money (just to give one example of journalism's important role in democracy)?

Advertising. That's how. Big companies pay big money to have their banner ads on free newspaper websites such as the Toronto Star and the Toronto Sun. They pay even bigger money for a 30 second commercial that plays prior to viewing a video clip. There will always be free alternatives.

Removing your cookies works for some newspapers, like the Globe & Mail. If you use Mozilla Firefox, go to Tools / Page Info / Security/ View Cookies / Delete All Cookies / Then close Firefox. Then your good to restart Firefox with a clean record! :thup:

The Sun newspapers have instituted a pay-wall also with the Toronto Star early next year.

Actually, they are not paying big dollars. That's a big part of the problem. The rule of thumb in the newspaper industry (and it has been this way for several years) is that print dollars are turning into digital dimes. Maybe it's because of the lack of permanence of online -- click and you are off the page forever. Maybe it's because ads are easier to tune out on a computer screen than they are on a printed page. Maybe it's a function of the economy, or of advertisers simply refusing to pay the rates they used to pay to come into our homes. But for whatever reason, the money that's being generated by newspapers from ads in their online product is a fraction of what they used to generate from ads in their print product.

As for free alternatives, yes they will always exist, but if you can't generate good revenue for your product, you will not be able to afford to pay for real journalism. I would rather have trained journalists keeping watch on the govt and other institutions (including sports teams) and performing real journalism, than rely on bloggers working out of a basement. If the demand for "free" swamps the effort to monetize newsgathering, the latter will be what we're left with.

Back in the day when we had Scott Young, Milt Dunnell, Elmer Ferguson, Red Fischer and Trent Frayne writing Sports articles I could see me paying so much a month to read them. But not this current bunch of sarcastic anti-CFL bunch we have now from these papers.
It is just like the NHL lockout. We find other things to do and don't miss it as much as we thought we would.

We have better writers on the Football forums anyway. :lol: Just ask us. :cowboy:

And to that list, add Jim Coleman, Dick Beddoes, and Jim Hunt.

The escape (Esc) button also does this

Actually, when I'm looking for Als news, I go first to this actual site. There found is a group of posters who have the greater knowledge of the CFL and, of particular the Al, than does any other source. I have learned a lot from you guys and, appreciate all the material you share on this site.

And, if you don't use IE but use Google Chrome, then click on the tools icon top right corner, and click on "new incognito window."