Hamilton Tiger-Cats 2024

Or a restructure because of his injury. He will not be ready for camp.

4 Likes

Hard to imagine a restructuring, in his case, that would be good for both the player and the club.
His contract, signed in Nov '22, would call for him to get full game cheques, in '24, at least until he’s medically cleared to play, at which point, the club might choose to not take a chance on the stability of his repaired Achilles.

1 Like

Last year Addison was on year two of a two year deal scheduled to pay him about 140K . He wouldn’t be medically cleared to play until at least the end of July. The team asked him to take an almost 50% pay cut, even though the first half of his season’s salary would not count toward the cap. They asked CVZ to do something very similar. Addison said no , and was released the day before training camp started.
I am just speculating that something similar is happening here.

1 Like

IF …Bo is still upright

I don’t recall the situation with Addison but, after reading your post, I must say that I may be wrong in believing that the TiCats would have been, prior to whatever occurred recently with Kyle Wilson’s contract, obligated to continue to keep him on an injured list, and pay him, in the '24 season until he’s cleared to play.

If I need boverrated to have a good time, I’m doing it very wrong.

losing in Arblow land is a nightmare I do not want to relive.

1 Like

I think the Cats can’t outright release an injured player, but they can try to renegotiate and if the player refuses the new contract they can release him. Tough business.
Here is an article about what happened to Addison last year.

meh, it’s happened so often in the last couple years that it’s become routine.

it’s been too many humbling walks out of BMO lately.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the old Milton article on Addison’s release. I wonder if his requiring a second surgery, because of a fall at home, is what allowed the club to release him?

1 Like

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/28/hamilton-tiger-cats-db-javien-elliott-retires-from-cfl/https://3downnation.com/2024/03/28/hamilton-tiger-cats-db-javien-elliott-retires-from-cfl/https://3downnation.com/2024/03/28/hamilton-tiger-cats-db-javien-elliott-retires-from-cfl/

2 Likes

Bit of a shocker there. I thought he was our best db up until he got injured. Maybe the injury had something to do with it (whatever it was, don’t think it was disclosed). Makes the move to sign Peters even more important.

3 Likes

It could be something simple like removing a report and pass bonus. Many guys have small bonuses for showing up to camp and passing their physical. If both sides know Wilson won’t be healthy for the opening of camp it’s likely in everyone’s best interest to re-write the deal now and remove it. If they don’t it could be problematic in May.

4 Likes

[quote=“Schweinhund, post:1888, topic:87700”]

........ I thought he was our best db up until he got injured. Maybe the injury had something to do with it (whatever it was, don’t think it was disclosed). ......

[/quote)

I, also, don’t recall ever learning what happened to Elliott in, or after, his 14th straight start, at boundary half, from the season opener. He was 6-gamed for the team’s last 5 games played. I bet locker room Drew is already getting player requests for Javien’s #.

Egbert: Very good thinking on the Kyle Wilson situation. I expect we won’t learn what’s different in Kyle’s new deal unless, perhaps, somebody in the media thinks to ask open book Ed about it. Hervey was quite open, discussing Tim White’s new contract.

2 Likes

An American backup behind Butler makes sense.

4 Likes

The TiCats have signed a couple of AM DTs:

Derrick Tangelo 6’2" / 308 lb. from Maryland who played his final college season at Penn State in '22 after 5 seasons in the Duke U. football program.
Undrafted, Tangelo was signed by the Atlanta Falcons and joined their practice roster for the start of the '22 NFL season.

Jason Lewan 6’6" / 285 lb. spent his college career, 100 miles from home, at Illinois State U. ('17 - '22). Undrafted, a year ago, Lewan was signed by Green Bay and was among their final training camp cuts.

Source: Transactions - Football Player Trades and Signings - CFL.ca - April 2/24

4 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Some big beef in the middle along with Lewan. This article said Tangelo worked a bit with Alex Bazzie (ex BC Lion) who had some good things to say about him.

2 Likes