Hamilton @ Sask, July 5 - pre-game discussion

Riders will be desperate team Thursday night.
Hope J. Masoli doesn't take any more hard hits like the one last game .

The Riders over all have a pretty weak Defence with absolutely no depth to speak of in the secondary and a line backing core that is at best mediocre . Especially in the middle where Sam Hurl doesn't scare anyone and would probably not be starting on any other team in the league . What they do have though is two of the nastiest Ends in the business in Jefferson and Hughes . The key is keeping these two head hunters under wraps because if left unattended they can do some major damage .

Great read here

MILTON: Ticats’ ground game has defences on the run
Posted onJuly 3, 2018bySteve Milton// 0 Comments

“One hundred per cent, ? agrees third-year Ticat Brandon Revenberg, one of the best guards in the league.
“You’re getting teed off on when the D-line knows it’ll be a pass almost every play. They’re just thinking, ‘What different pass rush am I going to do?’ They’re not thinking, ‘I’ve got to read this. Is it a screen, is it a run, is it a draw?’
“Last year they’re thinking, ‘It’s a pass; how am I going to mess with these guys?’ Now, it’s getting them wondering more, so it has them a little more slowed down.
“For us it’s a big confidence-booster. We’re not playing catch with them all the time. Essentially, they have to react to us in the way we always had to react to them.?
When June Jones took over as head coach and offensive coordinator late last August, he was advised by his offensive linemen that defensive fronts were just pinning their ears back on the rush, and the team should establish a more consistent running game.
Jones didn’t need to hear that – he could already see it, and throughout his career, among all those passes, he’s always had a credible running game. But he listened and acted accordingly.

Dennis McKnight, an NFL lineman for a decade, moved from special teams coordinator to line coach, and brought new techniques with him.
As Revenberg mentions, regular linemates make for stronger communication, and there was a “revolving door? of offensive tackles last year. But Tony Washington at left tackle and Ryker Mathews at right have halted that spinning. Revenberg at left guard and veteran centre Mike Filer have been superior, as anticipated, while rookie Darius Ciraco’s play at right guard has outstripped expectations, justified the trade-up to draft him earlier, and shifted potential starting guard Landon Rice into the heavily employed tight end role, where he’s been quite effective. That provides extra protection on passes, but also aids the run and Jones says the formation is likely here to stay.
“It’s been there for 13 games now, ? he smiles. “We’re going to throw him a pass eventually.?

MORE HERE
http://3downnation.com/2018/07/03/milton-ticats-ground-game-defences-run/

The big question is why Austin never listened to this.

Not that I read minds, but from his various interviews I got the impression that Austin always felt that with 2 downs to gain yardage, you had to gain it in chunks, or "go vertical" in his parlance. A 2-3 yard run just is not as effective, and essentially "wastes" the down.

Also, in handing off behind the line of scrimmage, you add to the distance that the player has to travel, to get to the first down. Especially using the shotgun, where the handoff might be 6-7 yards deep, making it almost 20 yards, not 10. A pass eliminates that, like the break out pass in hockey. Same reason he never used a lot of hitch, screen, or shovel passes?

Lastly, Austin was former QB, and I think a lot of former QBs coach that way, the run is mainly effective as a ploy to set up the passing game, big gains on a run are the exception and not the rule. So, the primary job of your running back is pass protection, not ball carrying, and you recruit on that basis.

Pretty sure you're right that that was his thinking. And I'm pretty sure that for that to work, you need a superb passing game, with a mobile QB who can move the pocket - like we had in 2015. Moving the pocket reduces the effectiveness of the defence just pinning their ears and gunning for the QB.

Austin's mistake (IMO) was that he failed to see that Collaros was no longer as mobile when he came back from injury, and unable to move the pocket. So the same pass, pass, pass offence that worked in early 2015 wasn't going to work anymore.

I think a major factor in the D playing honest is the fear factor that Masoli can also take off at any time for positive yardage.

That too.

Listening to the July 3rd post-practice interviews with Coaches Jones and Glanville, I think it's pretty clear that both Tracy and Leonard won't be going to Regina.

Can someone, anyone, explain the logic behind only on punt returner back for a 3rd down kick? Last game with the wind at his back Bombers kicker punted the ball out after bouncing around the 9 yard line. Had there been a returner over there the Cats would have had better field position

Probably has to do with having enough guys near the line to stop the fakes.

Oh. Ummm….

Must be for added blocking assignments? Although, with one returner, if he does a quick cut, he usually traps one of his blockers into an illegal block to the back call.

I notice on kick offs there is often two returners, sometimes staggered, and very occassionally, two on punts.

Interesting to find out real reason.

Some interesting info here

MILTON: Despite a lack of golden opportunities, Ticats offence is thriving

It comes as a shock to the two men most responsible for overcoming it, but the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have a really bizarre number on their season stat line.
Zero.
Of the Tiger-Cats’ 40 total offensive series over their first three games, not one of them has started on the other team’s side of centre field. Every time Jeremiah Masoli’s outfit has come onto the field, it’s been to their own side of the 55-yard line.
Every other CFL offence has started in the other team’s end at least twice this year, while Montreal’s offence has been afforded eight opportunities on the better side of midfield, and Calgary’s offence has enjoyed seven such chances.
Yet the Ticats’ offence has still manufactured nine touchdown drives, second in the league to Edmonton’s 11. (The Esks have started four drives in the other team’s end, but haven’t scored a major on any of them).

The team will be without defensive end Adrian Tracy when they take on the Riders on Thursday and could be missing defensive back Richard Leonard for the second straight game.
“I don’t think Tracy is going to make it. Leonard, I’m still hoping but we’re going to kind of wait until the last minute,? Jones said.
Meanwhile, Canadian running back Sean Thomas-Erlington appears ready to go while receiver Luke Tasker participated in individual drills but not team session this week.
Look for American Julian Howsare to move into Tracy’s depth spot.
MORE HERE
http://3downnation.com/2018/07/04/milton-ticats-have-overcome-bizarre-number-on-their-stat-line/

While the depth chart isn't available yet, a look at the roster suggests that the only change, this week, in the 46-man active list is likely Tracy out (1- Game Injured) and White in.

right on both ottawacat

Rider depth chart
DC playing DB :o

This Duron Carter at DB experiment is absolutely mind-blowing. Unbelievable.

That is so many levels of awesome. It's one of the reasons Masoli has been putting up some unearthly numbers is this teams ability to drive the field at will...

Banks is going to be open all night

Maybe they asked him who he'd rather get embarrassed by, Banks or Breaux

So, a good news, bad news situation.

The good news is that it's allowing the teamto dominate the time of possession, resulting in the other teams' defences getting worn down, and giving our own defence a breather. I seem to remember a few people mentioning that those return touchdowns by Thigpen, Williams, Banks, et al., were a bit of a double-edged sword, as it meant our defence ended up back on the field right away.

The bad news is the team is forced to drive the length of the field every time. Great when the offence is clicking, but if we start to stall / run up against a defence that has our number?