HAMILTON QB HUNCH

This is just a hunch folks .

I think the Ticats know MACPHERSON will be a star in this league and are likely contemplating releasing Burris and signing
MACPHERSON because guys like MACPHERSON don't come around that often and he is so young and much less expensive than Burris .

I love Burris but it's business . Henry was used to Cortez's offence and that is gone . If they grab MACHERSON then he does not have to WINTERPEG and he is close to montreal still for whatever connections / friends he has developed there in 5 years . Burris is what 37 now ? wil be 38 when the season begins and mcpherson will be 30 when the season starts .

With the money saved on this transaction they can spend on a good defensive end or cornerback

Then we could pick up a Jyles or Joseph or Buck to be a backup to him

Ouch...while I could see the Cats picking up McPherson as a Burris replacement, I can't see them releasing Burris outright. Especially after he had a career season.

And for back up...no way would I want Jyles, Joseph or Buck. If this team signed either of them, they'd lose me competely. Especially if they sign Joseph or Buck...both are well past their expiry date.

Sounds good in theory except for one aspect…

MacPherson is still as of yet unproven.
We do not know if he will be a bonafide star in this league.

To release the still highly productive Burris in favor of an inexperienced ambiguous pivot could have serious consequences.

The Als certainly did not believe so, otherwise they would have similarly released Calvillo and kept Macpherson.

Yep, it's definitely the offseason...

Macpherson has proven himself as a backup QB. He might consider coming to Hamilton to understudy Burris
and take over as #1 QB in a year or two or when Henry burns out.

I totally agree with you, Tangledweb.

As support and for the future, sign McPherson. To replace Burris, not so fast.

Mind you, should Henry go down with an injury, I could be regretting the above statement.

So Jim Popp has given up on McPherson and believes Porter has more up side. From where I sit they are similar in style. Both have great running abilities. Niether has a strong accurate arm so obviously Popp is unconcerned where McPherson will end up. The Argos are stacked so my guess is Winnipeg. Austin 3:16 should be making some moves fairly soon in light of what other teams are doing (getting better)

I SAID FROM DAY 1 macpherson will be here this year a change of scenery is good and same as porter mac pherson a starter down the road yes PORTER NO COMON CATS SIGN MACPHERSON AND LETS GOOOOO :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

The only player more popular than the second string quarterback is another team's second string quarterback.

"So Jim Popp has given up on McPherson and believes Porter has more up side. From where I sit they are similar in style. Both have great running abilities. Niether has a strong accurate arm so obviously Popp is unconcerned where McPherson will end up. The Argos are stacked so my guess is Winnipeg. Austin 3:16 should be making some moves fairly soon in light of what other teams are doing (getting better)"

So, Wildcats, if Popp is such an astute evaluator of talent, then we should learn from that McPherson will not evolve into the starter that Hamilton will need, since the Tiger cats let a similar talent walk away just a few weeks ago. Perhaps, my logic is flawed.

Don't why Winnipeg would be shopping for another quarterback since they already have, at least, two potential and somewhat proven starters in camp now.

And, unless McPherson runs out of options, I doubt he would want another situation where he would sit behind someone else again, especially since he just left that very circumstance in Montreal.

But I could be wrong.....

Is that you, Eric Tillman, pretending to be "gerbear9?"

Has anyone seen MacPherson throw a pass in a game? I know he looks great on them 1 yard plunges but has he really shown anything that would make him a starter?
Isn’t he a Porter clone?

Eric is that you ? :slight_smile:

Well...we can talk all we want about hypothetical situations. But what the heck it's mid-winter and there's not much else going on so here's my contribution.
Henry is getting to the end of his career. I would like to see Macherson as a backup for a year.
However, Kent Austin knows quarterbacking....so I would expect there are names we are not aware of yet who may show up with this team before June. Ample time in the next year to see if Macpherson, Lefevour or some newcomer can become starters when Henry is finished. We don't know yet if Henry will flourish or wilt under Tommy Cordell's system so we need to be ready with a replacement before 2014.
Regarding Popp...can't argue with his record of success in Montreal . But if he is so astute, why does he want Porter for three years? What has Porter done to become a potential starter? Seems to me, after watching Macpherson in relief for Calvillo several times, Macpherson would be a far better prospect. Neither one is a great long passer but from what I have seen Macpherson makes his reads and completions quicker. Popp also hired Jason Maas. I'm scratching my head over this stuff.
The only thing I do know is that this whole QB situation could change rapidly before July.
Can't wait. :slight_smile:

How true.

I think MacPherson will end up in Winnipeg as a starter. Winnipeg will probably release Pierce .

If we could get McPherson, I think that would be great. He's learned from Calvillo and could easily learn something in two years under Burris, two of the best QBs the CFL has ever seen. The problem is McPherson is tired of waiting for the start, he knows time is not on his side and he's tired of waiting in the wings.

Again everyone underestimating McPherson. There is a reason that he was the top paid back up in the CFL and the Als went to great lengths to ensure he signed last time. Who could have thought that Calivillo would never get hurt and pass for over 5,000 yards at age 40. The Als did what they had to do at the time as well as McPherson. This is a different time and both the Als Management and McPherson will have to do what is best for them now.
I would be prepared to see more different faces in the CFL to fill the Back up roles this year as well. The Riders grabbed up two new guys to the CFL but not new to pro football in fact one has been in the NFL for a decade before last year

It seems many CFL fans see more in MacPherson than the other CFL General Managers saw in him. Jim Popp has stated that the Als did not receive a single inquiry from any other CFL team about a trade for MacPherson during the five years MacPherson was with Montreal.

So with Calvillo probably being in his last year, the Als release McPherson who has been "grooming" for the starting role for 5 years. Previous to that they picked up Quinton Porter who never made a big enough impression in his 4 or 5 years to keep him on with the Ticats when Burris could be in his last year. Where in this scenario does it become apparent that McPherson is any better than Porter? Neither one of them were suitably impressive enough to kept by their respective teams. Time to move on to someone new.