Hamilton needs heading into the draft

I did an analysis of Hamilton's Canadian content and am interested in hearing what Hamilton fans think of the analysis:

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/hamilton-tiger-cats.html

I pick offensive line as their biggest need.

I think your analysis is bang on re: O-line. Some studs there for sure but not much in the ways of back-up and project players.

The Cats cannot have another 10 sack opener by the o-line as they did last year. Nor can they allow Zack or any other QB to get as beaten up as much as they did early last season.

Lets hope they draft o-line for the future and trade for o-linemen this year.

Yup, I think you've got it pegged.

1 - o-line
2A - FB/TE, and not just as a backup but to challenge for the starting spot - still not convinced on Prime
2B - DB

FYI
The CFL draft will be held on Tues.May 12, 3 days after the completion of the NFL draft

HAMILTON picks are #'s 8,17,20,24,29,43,51,52 and 61

On the flip side I can reasonably presume that they don't need DL help. In fact I would be shocked by any draft choices used on DL.

8)

I agree with you on that and would add receiver as well. Fantuz is not getting younger, will be a free agent at the end of the season and has had injury problems. We don’t really know what potential Aprile and Coates have. Adding another national receiver who can has potential as a starter in a couple of years might be advantageous.

I agree, Receivers Nic Demski or Lemar Durant would look great if no suitable O-linemen are left

Here is Central scoutings top 20 final rankings released today

Grovers son ranked #1!!!!!!!!!! :thup:

QB Brandon Bridge who played for UofSouthAlabama becomes the 1st QB ever to make the Scouting Bureau.

Unfortunately, since Christian Covington is ranked number 1 and since we don't pick until number 8, and have a wealth of DL the odds are pretty slim for us to pick him. From a nostalgia point of view it would be an excellent move. However I don't believe KA believes in such - he is too busy fielding a winning football team to do otherwise.

:(

He's also being projected as a 4th-5th round pick in the NFL draft.

I don’t think Ottawa will waste their pick and go after Covington, he will go in the NFL draft. Ottawa will go after the top “O” lineman
As for Bridge, it would be nice to see a Canadian QB, but like Covington he could go in the NFL draft. I don’t think any team will go after him.

[url=http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2015/04/24/christian-covington-jumps-to-no-1-in-cfl-final-prospect-rankings.html]http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... kings.html[/url]

The Cats lost Sam Giguere, a starting receiver/ special teamer. They need to replace him. They need a running back who can catch/ block. Prime is a linebacker playing fullback. They need the top DB/LB in the draft. My first 3 picks would be: (1) Lemar Durant 6’2" 231 or Nick Demski 6’0" 215 (2) Chris Normand FB 6’2" 230 or Shaq Murray Lawrence 5’8" 192 or Dillon Campbell 5’8" 195 (3) Chris Ackie DB 6’2" 210 or Nick Shorthill 6’1" 226

If the Cats don’t draft for need, then the Tillman factor could be in play. Some of his Renegade picks went to the NFL and never came back to Canada, i.e. Israel Idonije, Shaun Suisham, JP Ladouceur. The man plans for the future and he knows talent, so maybe a Tyler Varga, Brett Boyko, or Danny Groulx might be there when we pick because of NFL interest. We could get them later in the year, like Dyakowski, or perhaps never. It is a crap shoot but I love the CFL Draft! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pat Lynch(the old guy going with wide receiver, running back, and defensive back)

Covington was the only Canadian Drafted, 6th round to the Texans.

Varga - signed as Undrafted free agent to Colts
Boyko - signed as Undrafted free agent to Eagles
Ruby - signed as Undrafted free agent to NY Giants

This draft is going to be interesting! :rockin:

Farhan Lalji ?@FarhanLaljiTSN 49m49 minutes ago
All have accepted mini-camp invites to #NYGiants: OLs Sukh Chungh, Sean McEwen, Jacob Ruby, and LB Byron Archambault.

Covington was the only Canadian Drafted, 6th round to the Texans.

Varga - signed as Undrafted free agent to Colts
Boyko - signed as Undrafted free agent to Eagles
Ruby - signed as Undrafted free agent to NY Giants

Farhan Lalji ?@FarhanLaljiTSN 49m49 minutes ago
All have accepted mini-camp invites to #NYGiants: OLs Sukh Chungh, Sean McEwen, Jacob Ruby, and LB Byron Archambault.

Sorry about double post! :roll: ^^^^^^^

Farhan Lalji ?@FarhanLaljiTSN 1m1 minute ago
Lemar Durant choses to attend #NYGiants mini-camp despite receiving other contract offers. The 5th Canadian going to @Giants camp. #NFL #CFL

These undrafted players will have some big decisions to make,
These Canadians can have a very lucrative career in the CFL, or chase the pot of gold offered by the NFL

Facts-
No contracts in the NFL are guaranteed, only signing bonuses are.
NFL Undrafted free agents are limited in signing bonuses, each team cannot exceed $88K in total for all of their UDFA's.
Each player would average less than a $8K signing bonus

"The UDFA’s are very limited in terms of signing bonus money. I don’t have the final number in front of me but IIRC each team can spend, in total, about $88,000 on all their undrafted rookies. That usually means a large number of players receiving signing bonuses that will not exceed $8,000. So that is a limiting factor for a player who is not drafted. The smallest signing bonus a 7th round pick will receive likely to be about $52,000. So that is a pretty big loss considering for many players the bonus is the only salary they will ever receive."

[url=http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-collins-earn-as-an-undrafted-free-agent/]http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-col ... ree-agent/[/url]

As far as being invited to a NFL mini camp
There is no pay for rookies at NFL mini camps, here is what they are entitled to

"Rookies: Is not entitled to compensation for his participation in any minicamp, other than the reimbursements or payments permitted under "the Club's Rookie Orientation Program". Under Article 7, Section 5(d), this includes (1) a round-trip airline ticket or cash equivalent from the player's place of residence to the Club city and back, not to exceed $1,500; (2) room and board or its equivalent of up to $145 per day, up to a maximum of 60 days; and (3) ground transportation to and from the player's place of residence in the Club's city to the Club's facility."

[url=http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/13/5715062/breaking-down-the-nfl-cba-minicamps-49ers-rookie-minicamp-dates]http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/13/5 ... camp-dates[/url]

I doubt the invitations to mini-camps will be much of a deterrent this year. Even Covington and Varga are a long shot to have an NFL career.

Demski invited to Browns mini camp

Nic Demski ?@Demski9 21m21 minutes ago
Just got the invite to partake in mini camp with the Cleveland Browns! Beyond thankful!!

With the trade to acquire NAT Receiver SJ Haidara, does this change our need to draft Demski or Durant?
The O/L's will have been seriously picked over before we pick at #8 and the fact that Fantuz is on his last year of his contract dictates we should take Demski, I have read that MTL is hot for Durant
If Demski and Durant are both gone by the time we pick, there should still be a great O/L available to us

I think it will go

OTT - O/L - probably Homeboy Mateas

WPG - O/L - probably Groulx

TOR - O/L - one of Ruby, Chungh, McKewen or Boyko

MTL - REC - Durant

BC - O/L - see whats left after TOR

SSK - O/L - see whats left after TOR and BC - they would love homeboy McKewen

EDM - D/L - Waud, or best O/L available

HAM - REC - Demski

CGY - O/L - or Best player available or a trade

This is a very strong draft, we will get some great prospects!