Hamilton- Montreal I

Hamilton has owned us at Ivor Wynne Stadium recently, our defense is far from impressive, and Burris has always given us trouble. So yes, I think he will definitely pass for over 250 yards, maybe even over 350 yards.

If we can establish some semblance of a ground game, Calvillo will get his cookie, but if we do what we did in the last Calgary game, not only will he not hit 300 yards, but he might be knocked out of the game through injury.

Thanks Discipline--

I honestly think AC will have a good day here- Hamilton pass defense and pass rush are both weak- Durant went nuts in week 1 and RAY was completing everything last week also- Lulay also was completing passes.

Hamilton front 4 could generate NO PASS rush at all and with time AC has historically shredded the Hamilton pass defense which IMO is not very good-

I think AC and Montreal can put up close to 35 points on Hamilton tonight. Montreal off a WIN where they played poorly and people are questioning AC's health but in a battle for first place I think Montreal will have the urgency right away- Hamilton off a big win could come out a little flat--

Is the Montreal Defense that bad? IT seems no one has confidence in the REINBOLD schemes? Burris throwing for 350 is asking for a lot? Is MOntreal playing a SYSTEM like BC which is bend but dont break and gives up the underneath completions all game long? Is this why BURRIS can throw for more than 250 yards and possibly 350 yards?

Good points, but the Cats will have Peach back on the line for tonight's game and our blindside tackle Bourke is playing at less than 100% (we've dressed an import O-lineman in reserve, which meant we had to take an import D-lineman, Ventrell Jenkins out of the lineup -- Jenkins has been one of our best linemen through the first three games of the season).

I think AC and Montreal can put up close to 35 points on Hamilton tonight. Montreal off a WIN where they played poorly and people are questioning AC's health but in a battle for first place I think Montreal will have the urgency right away- Hamilton off a big win could come out a little flat--
Again, I can't argue with you at all. What you're describing could very well happen. However, the wildcard here is our special teams play, which has been awful ever since Andy Bischoff took over two years ago. We are generating nothing on punt returns, absolutely nothing. Last week was the first game in which our cover teams were actually effective at containing the other team's KR. I don't expect it to last, especially not with Chris Williams as Hamilton's return threat. Our punter is actually not a punter (Whyte) but a placekicker trying and failing to do a punter's job, yet the coaches seem oblivious.
Is the Montreal Defense that bad? IT seems no one has confidence in the REINBOLD schemes? Burris throwing for 350 is asking for a lot? Is MOntreal playing a SYSTEM like BC which is bend but dont break and gives up the underneath completions all game long? Is this why BURRIS can throw for more than 250 yards and possibly 350 yards?
Here are the problems, as I see it, with our 3-4 Reinebold alignment:
  1. No true nose-tackle. Neither Hunt nor Bekasiak nor Jenkins is IMO good enough and dominant enough to command double-teams and still get a good interior push. As a result, our ends aren't getting penetration, and the rush is just not getting there in time.

2. No blitzing, but terrible at disguising zone coverages. It is ridiculously easy for other teams to find soft spots in our zone coverage, sit there, and wait for the completions. Since we rarely blitz, we don't usually generate enough pressure to disrupt the QB.

3. Players at less than 100% right now. Brown is dinged up and will be wearing a flak jacket. Anderson has a taped-up finger. Bowman is just now returning after having had knee surgery and will likely have to be eased into the game.

4. Questionable use of personnel. We're burning an import spot to start Hebert at safety, which means we can't dress an extra d-lineman to keep the rotation fresh. IMO Brouillette could do just as well at safety and would give us more ratio flexibility elsewhere.

I was at the BC game last night and can tell you a few similarities from BC and MTL--

The biggest reason that Edmonton won the game last night was the KICKING game and more specifically the complete MISMATCH between BURKE DALES and GRANT SHAW vs MACALUM--

Burke Dales was the best signing in the off season- He is a legit punter with good hang time-- Grant SHAW's kickoffs were going a full 10 yards further and also hanging in the air longer- The difference was 15-20 yards on every single kickoff -- Macalums kicks are exactly like WHYTE's - no leg, just a fgoal kicker-- BC didnt even go for a 44 yard fgoal before half?

If MONTREAL had DALES as the punter it would be amazing--

Yes Montreal special teams are not good, their return guys make no yards at all--

And on top of that, we kill ourselves with penalties on special teams. Holding, illegal block, unnecessary roughness, offside (we once went offside as the RETURNING TEAM!), procedure, illegal kick out of bounds, no yards -- you name it, we do it. It's just a gong show right now.

Do you think that Chris Williams can return a kick for a TD today? The guy seems a little too fast for the CFL--

If you look at Edmonton, they are a good example of the LEVEL of athletes that can be obtained from the States--

Edmonton has a solid defense- a very physical aggressive pass rush with Dbs who are not afraid to play man to man defense-

Gonna be hard to beat Edmonton this season with that defense they have-

Having seen them live last night, there has not been a defense as good as them in years in the CFL---

They are really really good on the CORNERS-- Both Joe Burnett and Rod williams are good.

The Als are 2 good defensive lineman from being a solid unit- Secondary has some good cover guys. Need a legit PUNTER also, as whyte is not the answer--

Let's see--

I have a feeling the ALS come out early and score some major points tonight-- I think the ALS will take a lead early and be winning--

Then it will be whether they can keep the lead in the 2nd half

He's our backup left tackle in the event Josh's ankle swells up.

I'm taking my sons out for Dinner and a Batman Imax experience. PVR for me too.

Edmonton's kicking game and cover team gave Lulay long fields all night and it lead to the turnovers. incredible that Edmonton put up close to 30 points with around 200 yards of offense. BC's receivers are not looking as sharp as last year.

I'm going to watch this game, for better or for worse. I have some housework to do, though, so if this game turns ugly for us I might just mute the commentary and clean the livingroom while occasionally looking at the TV screen. :smiley:

Brian Bratton is a late scratch replaced by BoBo Ling

ARG, our leading receiver (!) out. This isn't going to be pretty, methinks. I suppose London will step into Bratton's spot and Bowling will platoon with Deslauriers.

Ac is fired up---

Ac is going to tear the TIGERCATS apart early-- U watch- AC will be on his A GAME

I'm listening to A Prairie Home Companion and will check in with the game a little later. Like you, d&p, if it gets ugly, I'll stop recording on the PVR!

Well, let's hope for the best.

It might get ugly for Hamilton------

AC is the best QB in the CFl hands down-- there is no other qb that can throw like he can--

AC will show everyone and Hamilton that he is still the top pivot in the league--

Lets go AC-- time to tear apart the cats defense.

I like your moxy, GG! Hope you're right!

AC might be hurt? He looks scared out there--

14-0 -- Need a big response here from the ALS- Early on doesent look like Trestman has them ready to compete--

Ive noticed that this year TRESTMAN is not getting them ready to play on the road--- Trestman better wake up fast -

Crappy Returns +
Calvillo 2 and outs +
Whyte punting

= BIG FAIL

Calvillo had HAPPY feet on the interception-- He really had time and panicked again--

He needs to remain calm in the pocket- IT looks so far as in game 1 vs CALGARY that the ALS are not a very physical football team- Their QB looks really scared, their O line is not physical and their D line gets very little penetration--

So far Calvillo better wake up fast--