Ham vs Win Grey Cup Predictions

Is this an All East Grey Cup ?

Most of these predictions are laughably bad. ;D

Another reason not to trust the media.

“We’ll wafful them” Jim Trimble would tell the Cat fans, while Bud Grant would have his team limping to the game on crutches until game time. :’( :’( :frowning:

WPG , the home team, has elected to wear their away whites.

Hamilton is definitely the best team in the League. They have good offensive and defensive lines, excellent receivers, top Canadian players, good running game, a very good and young QB and returners or other players that can change the outcome of the game fast. Very good coaches. Won’t be out - coached as Saskatchewan was yesterday.

While anything can happen in a game, I expect Hamilton to win by at least 14 points, i.e. 34-20.

Richard

That’s great news! Unusual, but the BBs have won 2 in the playoffs so far, wearing their whites, so it’s a superstitiously understandable choice. And the TiCats have chosen to go all black again – something they’ve never before done in a Grey Cup.

Source – This part of a CFL Media Release today:

Hamilton and Winnipeg are set to compete in the 107th Grey Cup presented by Shaw. The Blue Bombers will be the ‘home’ team and will wear their away uniforms (gold helmets, white jerseys, gold pants); they will use the Calgary Stampeders’ locker room at McMahon Stadium. The Tiger-Cats will be the ‘visiting’ team and will wear their home uniforms (black jerseys, black helmets, black pants); they will use the visiting teams’ locker room at McMahon Stadium.

The visitors’ dressing room, out there, is a tight space, compared to the roominess the Bummers will enjoy but, no question, it will bring our guys closer together.

Personally, I prefer the gold pants, although to be honest, I wasn’t consulted. Traditional uniform in “our? colours. The all blacks makes them look too much like the Ottawa and Calgary one colour uniforms.

This made me laugh out loud. ;D

I am fine with either gold or black pants. The all black uniforms might even look a little more intimidating to the opponent. :slight_smile:

Good! That way, we can see the shart stains when we tackle them.

One possible ‘dark side’ to this decision. POSSIBILITY of more penalties…

The dark side of self- and social perception: black uniforms and aggression in professional sports.

Frank, M. G., & Gilovich, T. (1988). The dark side of self- and social perception: Black uniforms and aggression in professional sports.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54(1), 74–85.https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3514.54.1.74

Black is viewed as the color of evil and death in virtually all cultures. With this association in mind, we were interested in whether a cue as subtle as the color of a person’s clothing might have a significant impact on his or her behavior. To test this possibility, we examined whether professional football and ice hockey teams that wear black uniforms are more aggressive than those that wear nonblack uniforms. An analysis of the penalty records of the National Football League and the National Hockey League indicate that teams with black uniforms in both sports ranked near the top of their leagues in penalties throughout the period of study. On those occasions when a team switched from nonblack to black uniforms, the switch was accompanied by an immediate increase in penalties. The results of two laboratory experiments indicate that this finding can be attributed to both social perception and self-perception processes–that is, to the biased judgments of referees and to the increased aggressiveness of the players themselves. Our discussion focuses on the theoretical implications of these data for an understanding of the variable, or “situated,” nature of the self

On the other hand.... in Turkish Soccer leagues it doesn't make a difference.... ;D

Assessing Whether Black Uniforms Affect the Decisions of Turkish Soccer Referees: Is Finding of Frank and Gilovich's Study Valid for Turkish Culture?

M. Şefik Tiryaki
First PublishedFebruary 1, 2005Research Article
[i][url=https://doi.org/10.2466%2Fpms.100.1.51-57]https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.100.1.51-57[/url][/i]

Abstract
Frank and Gilovich (1988) found that teams with black uniforms were penalized by referees more than other teams that did not wear black uniforms in the U.S. National Football League (NFL), and the U.S. National Hockey League (NHL). This finding was examined for the referees in the Turkish Premier Soccer League (TPSL) for the soccer teams wearing or not wearing black uniforms during actual games. 30 male referees' (ages 22–45 years,M= 34.8) decisions were analyzed in a total of 2,142 Turkish premier soccer league games played in 7 seasons. Using the number of red and yellow cards and penalty kicks teams drew as a penalty decision criteria, no significant differences were found between Turkish soccer teams wearing black uniforms or those not and the number of penalty kicks. This result, which was different from that of Frank and Gilovich's work, was discussed in relation to the social psychological point of view of different cultures and societies.

Who says academics aren’t fun people?!

Cats win this easily… 33 to 17.

The Winnipeg Shartbombers, it’s got a nice ring to it!

That’s the spirit!

Ticats opened as a 1.5 pt favourite. It’s now up to 3.

Ticat Lucky Charms:

1) Delvin Breaux. I’ve posted versions of this before, but it’s even better now. Ticat Grey Cup appearances in the 21st century when Breaux is on the team: 3 for 4. When he is not on the team: 0 for 16.

2) Ja’Gared Davis: 4 years in the league, 4th consecutive Grey Cup appearance. (Adeleke is 1 behind him with 3 in a row.)

3) Rico Murray: 7 years in the league, changed teams 3 times, and now making his 5th Grey Cup appearance.

Maybe I’ve missed some …

Great to see that the best CFL team will represent our division. Please crush the Blue Bombers and bring this Grey Cup back to the East.

I feel I’m a little qualified to respond since my NHL team that I have followed for over 30 years is the LA Kings. Their home uniforms are all black. After watching hundreds of games over the years I’ve never noticed any particular bias from referees. Also certain players are inheritly aggressive and others are not so much.

The article doesn’t list a percentage over a certain timeframe. Let’s say their is some validity to the study and the Kings and Bruins consistently over a 20 year span get 2% more penalties per season than Leafs and Habs. If it is that small of an amount than it isn’t enough to hinder a team’s success. The Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2012 and 2014. (Yeah 8))

Likewise the Cats were not affected by penalties in the EF. They only had 5 penalties the whole game and that was even with Andre Proulx as the ref. ;D

This 31-year old paper was published in a pseudo-scientific journal; its best use would be either as wrap for greasy fish & chips, or for emergency bathroom tissue!