Halifax Stadium Forum (interesting)

Agree full steam ahead with the fine people of Moncton.
As an Argo season ticket holder, I know there is some talk amongst us of organizing a bus trip for the game in Moncton.
I hope to attend and if some are interested perhaps you can let me know and I will put together a temporary list.
Thus far the cost factor for the several day round trip is not known.

I'm just waiting for the official date to be made public so I can book my time off of work, maybe if I am lucky it will fall on my week-end off (50/50 chance). I've had the wife sold on the Moncton game for some time now and we hope to make a full week-end of it.
Living about 1 hour south of Halifax I would love to see Halifax get a CFL franchise but that won't happen until enough of us out this way light a fire under our politicians and force them to build us a stadium. I would be a season ticket holder if Halifax had a team. If Moncton were to get a franchise I'd certainly make 1 or 2 trips a season in support.

I would be suprised if it was not the Saskatchewan Roughriders who go to Moncton.

I don't think it'll be Saskatchewan. That game's too valuable to the Argos, a big draw at home. Watch for BC, Calgary, or Winnipeg.

Or Montréal.

Sadly, I won't be able to make the Moncton game as I'm going to the GC in Edmonton. :smiley: Though I suppose I could do something like fly to Boston and drive the rest of the way.

Here's a webcam of Main Street West in Moncton.

Ok, so downtown Moncton probably isn’t that huge a happening place probably but it is a Canadian city and that is okey dokey with me if someone thinks they can make a go of a pro football team there. :thup:

Certainly better than what Jim Balsillie with all his drive and money has for the NHL but he still has nothing to show for his efforts, thanks Jim, we appreciate you but there is a thing called the CFL right under your feet my man.

Reminds me of that old Max Webster song "A Million Vacations". "You can only drive down main street so many times."

Depending on when they hold the game , it could be quite a party… I have a couple suites next to a country bar 2 minutes from the school I use when I travel in Moncton. I’m planning to book the minute they pick a date and I’m hoping its during beach season in late August or Natal day weekend…ParleBeach , football game and some country music and acadian women to close the evening !

Moncton is not boring …

...a picture of the Moncton facility under construction

http://www.moncton2010.ca/sites/default/files/construction1.jpg

Ok HF, you’ve convinced me to go, when they announce the date I’m booking (and hopefully the wife will not want to go with that last statement of yours "acadian women to close the evening!. :wink: )

On Monday, January 18'th fenwick16 (he began the discussion group on Skyscraper.com) met with 4 HRM councillors to talk about creating a trust fund for a future stadium in Halifax. HRM councillor Dawn Sloane set up the meeting which appears to have gone well as there is another being scheduled for approximately 3 weeks time. She hopes to accomplish 3 points.

1. Get ALL interested parties together (point of next meeting)
  2. Set up a tax deductable stadium fund for individual and corporate contributions. HRM councillor David Hendsbee has been asked to assist with this.
  3. Get all interested parties to work as one cohesive team to move forward.

page 33 of this forum has the details of what happened.

[url]Halifax Stadium Discussion - Page 33 - SkyscraperPage Forum

It's great to see positive action taking place in Halifax. Good luck to them!

For anyone who lives in the HRM or surrounding area and would be interested in attending the next meeting with the HRM councillors I will post the date and time as soon as it becomes known to me from fenwick16. The more people who show support, especially from the HRM the better. Even if you can't make the next meeting it wouldn't hurt to post in the discussion forum giving support (link I provided 2 posts ago). Remember that those of us that one day wish to have a CFL franchise in Halifax must remember that the first thing required to make this a possibility is getting a stadium built. After that I beleive the CFL will naturally follow.

Question: If you have $100 to contribute to a fund for a future CFL team in Atlantic Canada, do you think it would be better to
(a) contribute $100 to a fund for a Halifax team
(b) contribute $100 to a fund for a Moncton team
(c) contribute $50 to the Halifax fund and $50 to the Moncton fund (or some other combination)
(d) contribute $100 to a fund for an Atlantic team with an undetermined location, on the condition that, once enough funds have been raised, interested cities in the Atlantic region will compete against each other to be the host of the team.
(e) Other: please specify.

I'm only aware of the potential fund for the Halifax team, whereas the remaining funds don't exist to the best of my knowledge. Because it has the highest population, Halifax seems the obvious choice for a team, but Moncton seems to be more pro-active in trying to attract the attention of the CFL. So I chose those cities in options (a), (b), and (c). Personally, I don't care where it goes, as long as it's viable, since I'm not from either of these cities or anywhere else in Atlantic Canada. I don't want to support a specific location, I just want to support an Atlantic team in some location. So I either split my money between two places (c), or leave it up to someone more knowledgeable than me (d). In the case of (c), it could end up making support for both locations look weak, but in the case of (d) it could make the overall support for an Atlantic team look strong.

I would go with (d). In that case, I'd be talking to Atlantic regional groups (such as APEC) rather than, or in addition to, mayors of specific cities. Also, I figure if (d) is the option, then the Atlantic Canadian team could be promoted to the whole of Atlantic Canada and get the whole region interested, whereas if (a) or (b) is the option, then it might come off looking like the project of a particular city, which may result in failure to attract much attention outside of that city or its province.

My 2 cents (or perhaps my far 2 many cents).

I am looking forward to the day when Halifax has a suitable stadium and CFL team.There are a lot of enthusiastic sports fans in the Maritimes so a Halifax area CFL team would have a large fan base to draw from. Many people in the Maritime Provinces and ex-Maritimers that follow the NFL would likely switch if they have a Maritime team to cheer for. Having a Grey Cup game in the Halifax area would be a huge economic benefit and in my opinion it would provide a much greater economic benefit than the Commonwealth Games. I just hope that the desire to obtain a stadium for the Commonwealth Games will be replaced with a desire to obtain a stadium for a CFL team and Grey Cup game. In all honesty, I think people in the Halifax area just want a CFL team and the Commonwealth Games was just a means of obtaining a stadium. So now they can just bypass the Commonwealth Games and go directly for a CFL team.

The economy is quite strong and growing in the Halifax area so I think it is just a matter of time before Halifax has a team.

I've been to Halifax twice. It's easily one of my favorite Canadian cities.
Here's wishing you all the luck in the world, and hope to see a CFL franchise there in the near future.

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

The fund we are trying to have set up by the HRM councillors is a stadium fund and not a CFL team fund. There can be no CFL team without a stadium so first things first, we build the stadium, and build it right. I really beleive that once the stadium is built an investor or group investors will come forward and there will be a CFL team in Halifax. The stadium is the stumbling block, as it is in other Canadian cities that the CFL could expand to.

Yes ditto for me for the beauty part only.
The unfortunate part there is no political will and the city is run by tree hugging left wing loones.
There have been many opportunities to build over the years and the last straw was bowing out of the Commonwealth Games race.
I say move on to Moncton where the folks inclusive of the politicians see the value in building a stadium and the CFL.

That’s what Hamilton said about an NHL team when they built Copps Coliseum. Still no NHL team.

Halifax was awarded a team many years ago on the condition that it build a CFL sized stadium, but that never happened. How likely is it that a CFL sized stadium will get built when there isn’t even a guaranteed tenant?

The stadium and the CFL team go together. If support for a CFL team is weak in a given city (or province, or supra-provincial region), then it will be hard to make a case for the support of a stadium, and vice versa.

I wrote “team” in my question above when I should have written “stadium”. But deciding where a stadium goes pretty much decides where the team goes, so the underlying sentiment of my question still stands. Should you raise money to support the construction of a stadium in Moncton specifically, Halifax specifically, or just Atlantic Canada with a to-be-determined location decided by a competition between interested cities?

I don’t have a preference, because I have no stake in either city and can see advantages to both cities (Halifax is larger, but Moncton/New Brunswick is being more pro-active), so, if the various funds existed, I’d rather put my money in a general fund for Atlantic Canada than a specific fund for either city, whether that fund is for a team or a stadium.