Halifax Renegades?

like they will do with the Winnipeg Jets when they come back.

or when the Penguins move out of their stadium when it falls down, IMO, the will play in Winnipeg still as the Pittsburgh Penguins until they find a new home (hopefully in Pitts where they belong)

but I don’t see that happening with Ottawa and Halifax, since in Football, you do need a large number of seats, and 9,500 is more than half of 15,000, 10,000 isn’t even close to half of 30,000.

and Ottawa and the league would lose money, not gain it by doing that.

The Flames moved to Calgary in 1980. The Saddledome opened in the fall of 1983. The Flames played 3 seasons at the Corral. While I can’t see the Renegades setting up in Halifax, the Calgary situation is an example of a city going after an event with a tenant already in mind for the event’s main facility. Halifax will probably start building a stadium in the spring right after it wins the games just like Calgary did with the Saddledome. Hopefully the Renegades will return to Ottawa within the next season or two and hopefully Halifax will win the 2014 Commonwealth Games bid and join the CFL in 2009 or 2010.

Not to be a naysayer here regarding the 'Gades...but...After the fans of Ottawa first losing their Riders, and now the Gades, what makes people think football in Ottawa will succeed?

Because I say so --- and that s/b good enough. :lol: :stuck_out_tongue:

Bear in min d the reasons why the Riders and now the Gades disappeared. Bad ownership and management, poor teams, influx and success of Sens as a novelty, bad ownership and management --- oh wait, I already said that.

It's a cumulative effect of wehat happens when everything that can go wrong, does.

If Calgary had three or four owners in a row like Feterik, if Toronto kept getting Sherwood Schwarz types or for that matter even if Edmonton saw the same type of buffoonery happening with Esks for 20 or 30 yrs, we'd instead be talking about the demise of the CFL in northern Alberta.

Halifax does have the population (barely), but doesn't have the stadium, the Al's are barely getting by at Molson, which is at the moment 20,002. If Halifax had a stadium like Tailor Field, it would work, but then they would already have a team.

A hockey rink is more versitile than a football stadium plus you have 40 + games vs 10 so the economics are generally better.

[quote="sobrien"]Because I say so --- and that s/b good enough. :lol: :stuck_out_tongue:

Bear in min d the reasons why the Riders and now the Gades disappeared. Bad ownership and management, poor teams, influx and success of Sens as a novelty, bad ownership and management --- oh wait, I already said that.
quote]

Yes, and now that the Sens will soon be relegated to mediocrity it will be interesting to see how their support holds up.

A hockey rink is more versitile than a football stadium plus you have 40 + games vs 10 so the economics are generally better.
[/quote]
You're absolutely right about that. An arena has many potential uses (various sports, concerts, trade shows, conventions if a suitable hotel is adjacent). Arenas bring alot to a community and generally at least break even financially. You can't say the same about a stadium. However, maintaining a small stadium which would allow a CFL team to compete should not be a huge expense. So long as an event like the Commonwealth Games (or multiple Grey Cups) is used to build the facility, the city should get decent return in publicity and local spirit for it's expense.

c-way-dude, I agree with your analysis about hockey arenas vs football stadiums. But this is unfortunate since I personally much prefer the atmosphere of an outdoor football stadium vs. an indoor arena as "an event" since I like watching sports outdoors more than inside arenas. Just my preference but economically for sure most of the time.

but the Sens will still have enough people going to their games that they will survive long term, but will slip it with the Gades who when reactivated, will survive long term, one hopes.