Haley cut

Nate Davis was probably giggling when he heard that the heir apparent to his position (Jermaine Haley) got the golden handshake yesterday. It will be good to see who will be lining up next to Schultz.

Marcus Adams. When he filled in for Davis last year, he played very well. Personally, I felt he played even better. As far as Davis giggling, probably the only thing that makes him giggle is an "all you can eat buffet."

But with CFL players' collective agreement, a player cannot loose his roster position because of an injury. As soon as the injured player is fit to play again, he gets his job back even if the replacement played better. So we were stuck with Davis.

The question I have is will both Jurineack and Perry keep their jobs. Kyle Mitchell is certainly younger and faster than Perry and John Chick has a more impressive resume than Jurineack. Aging allstars like Perry do loose their jobs. The Eskimos cut Willie Pless once and the 'riders picked him up where he made zero impact.

Although the 'rider d-line dominated at times throughout the year, the rest of the time they seemed ineffective, especially at the end of hard fought games, appearing out of gas and worn out, showing their age and lack of conditioning.

Perry definately will keep his job. the best dlineman in the CFL is between he and Brent Johnson....

Yes I agree. Most likely Perry's job is secure. It is his to loose.

But with CFL players' collective agreement, a player cannot loose his roster position because of an injury. As soon as the injured player is fit to play again, he gets his job back even if the replacement played better. So we were stuck with Davis.
That was sarcasm, right?

Anyway, Marcus played well enough filling in for Nate that I hope he gets an opportunity, but to say he ever played better than Nate may be a bit of an overstatement....

I have heard that you can’t loose your job because of injury. Once you heal, you get your spot on the roster back. Maybe it is just a gentleman’s agreement but the folks doing the games on TV have talked about it in the past. I have heard it with my own ears. Living in the boonies I watch nearly every CFL game on TV no matter who is playing so I cannot remember for certain which games but I did hear it and not just once. It was in the context of talking about certain players playing well while replacing injured players.

OK.
First there is no rule.
Second, it is not even really a "gentleman's agreement".
What you hear people say is, " a player doesn't lose his job because of injury". And to a very large extent, it is true.
But it is true because the reason he had the job in the first place was because he was better than the other guy, and the assumption is, when healthy that is still the case.
However, and this happens all the time, injury gives another player a chance to show his stuff. And if that stuff seems to be better than the injured player, then one of two things will happen. Out of loyalty (the gentleman's agreement) the injured player comes back and is given another chance to keep his job. Or, if the replacement player is truly better, then the injured player will not get his job back. So technically, the injured player never "loses" his job due to injury. But if he doesn't get hurt, the coaches may never play the back-up and find out he is better.
The best example on the Riders that I can think of is Fred Perry. I forget who got hurt, but he may never have played for us without that guy getting hurt.

What a team cannot do is cut a player on injured reserve (or he gets paid regardless). The second he is healthy, that no longer applies.

That's for the clarification. I appreciate it.

If Davis was giggling when he heard Haley was cut, that made two of us.

Tillman preaches all this younger and cheaper players stuff. But Haley is older than Big Nate and with his NFL resume he wouldn't have been all that much cheaper than big Nate. Haley may have been in great shape, but he hadn't stepped on a football field for a while and Austin, Hall, whoever saw it. Going to the weight room is one thing. Playing football is another. I'm glad they saw it and released him as oppossed to give him a one chance after another. So I'm impressed with Tillman for this. He didn't show patience the way Shivers and Barret did for Nealon Greene and Jason French.

Make fun of Nate all you want. But Montreal tried to pick him up in addition to Winnipeg. We had the number one run defence. IMO we had the most sacks as well. Those 12 that BC got on Montreal were spoon fed to them. That being said, Nate was the weakest link on the D-line. But I thought our D-line was good last year.

I think it was Davyd Benefield that was injured that put Fred Perry on the field? Perry will keep his job. He's amazing!!! But a little competition can only help Perry and Jurieniak.

Oh Yeah...I like Marcus Adams by Scott Shultz. He played well in place of Nate.