Gutted..

This off season saw plenty of familiar faces removed from the squad.

How do you build loyalty with the fans, stop cutting players every two years or so..Fans want to get to know the team and it's hard when popular players are cut ever so often. The name that sticks out to me was Jason Clermont who's now in (his home town) Saskatchewan. Sure I'm a Leo's fan, but I hope Clermont bites us in the a-- for a play or two this season. Thanks, Wally.

Quote from Coach Buono.."Jason didn't fit into our plans for this season." :thdn:

Retire #3 Hal Lund

After winning the Grey Cup in 2006, Wally basically went status quo for the next two seasons and that didn't get the job done despite the huge addition of Cam Wake at DE. It was time to make significant changes even if it means taking one step back to move ahead in the future.

I'm a big fan of Clermont as well and he was terrific here for seven seasons but I have no problem with Wally believing Paris Jackson can be more productive playing the slot because he was when Clermont was injured last year. Clermont's $180,000 salary also played a big part in that decision and he took a significant discount to sign with the Riders.

It's hardly been a revolving door during the Wally era, especially compared to past GM/HC here or other CFL teams.

Loyalty is rare, lets be honnest. People are loyal to a WINNER. Particularily in Vancouver. If Buono knows what'll make the team win more games, that'll build the fan base. But the priority is to WIN GAMES. Yeah I know that's werid but before you keep croud favorites, you must win games. I've seen many players who I loved to watch play and listen to (#26) but that doesn't mean a damn if they lose every game.

I can understand your point of view but did you consider the age of the football club last year? Did you put into consideration of dealing with a Salary Cap.
Last year we had over 17 players that were in there mid to early thirties.. How much loyal did you want to go. When do we have to start getting young players in our line up? Sorry but winning is everything and Buono has been known to find players to keep us competitive.

You should watch the NFL, they're worse.

The NHL is now on the same par as the NFL, and CFL. Thats what salary caps do, move players around wayy too much.

However, the BC Lions, as someone already mentioned, haven't been like this with Wally Buono and the argument your raising is something that was more common in the late 90's.

Clermont was my favourite, I have his autograph from his rookie season when i met him at a car show at BC Place.

The Lions were getting old and teams have a large roster I think its pretty normal to have that much change. Also if the average career lasts 4-5 years I think you have to have that much change.

I have to agree with a large part of what Grimms posted. As much as I really like having a player like Jason Clermont who did lots for the organization on my team, I'd much rather see a winning team than a collection of great guys who go bust. Until championships are decided by which team has the most fan friendly players instead of wins and losses, I'm sticking with Wally Buono's judgement on building winning teams.

[quote="Lund3"]This off season saw plenty of familiar faces removed from the squad.

How do you build loyalty with the fans, stop cutting players every two years or so..Fans want to get to know the team and it's hard when popular players are cut ever so often. The name that sticks out to me was Jason Clermont who's now in (his home town) Saskatchewan. Sure I'm a Leo's fan, but I hope Clermont bites us in the a-- for a play or two this season. Thanks, Wally.

Quote from Coach Buono.."Jason didn't fit into our plans for this season." :thdn:

Doesn't Buono need something like 10 more wins to become the winningest coach in CFL history? He's doing what he thinks is best for his team. With that many wins I think the man has earned respect.

4 more wins I believe. Wally signed Jason last year to a big multi year contract increasing per year. He knew he wouldn't be able to aford him this year as many of the players got large contracts proir to the salary cap taking an effect on them till this year. Wally didn't want the riders to sign Calmont as a free agent last year.

Wally may be a great coach, but he has no regaurds to his players---He will use them and then throw them away like a pair of dirty soaks, gotch, or whatever. That is why I admire his smarts, but disspise the man personably.

And that is exactly what a good GM should do. Players are commodities and football is a business. Once a commodity is past its prime, get rid of it and get a new one to keep up a quality product.

I think Buono needs 4 wins to tie Don Matthews and 5 to pass him.

This is awesome, Cool. A Blue Quoted me..

wow gold cheap gold for wow cheap gold on wow wow cheap gold