Gridiron Underground

Watching this now on PBS. Nice job John Williams Jr. and all involved.
Gridiron Underground makes it to air

In a mirror image of what the film itself portrays, "Gridiron Underground" will get its television broadcast debut in the United States. The football and social-history documentary about how, from the late 1940s on, African-American players found a home and success as pro players in Canada after being repressed and rejected in the U.S. was made in Canada by Canadians but has found no takers on Canadian TV. So "Gridiron Underground," co-produced and narrated by former Hamilton Tiger-Cats running back John Williams Jr., will air Friday at 8:30 p.m. on WNED, the Buffalo PBS channel...
https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7991986-gridiron-underground-makes-it-to-air/

Sounds very interesting. Thanks!

Thanks to CFL, KPMG, and the Elementary Teachers of Toronto for supporting this project . :slight_smile:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

My wife and I watched it too. It was great. Quite a lot of focus on the Ticats… Bernie Custis, Chuck Ealey, Bruce Smith, John Williams (Sr and Jr), Tony Gabriel, and on the Eskimos. Others from other teams as well. It was very well done. Some neat clips from Grey Cup games, including 1972, which my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I attended. I may have to order the DVD so we can scour the crowd shots and see if we can find us there.

It's on again Tues. Dec. 19 at 12:30 am on PBS if anyone wants to record it. Really enjoyed it as well.

Here's a promotion clip on YouTube:

I've seen it before, but nothing was worse than the cheap-shot that Johnny Bright suffered while quarterbacking Drake University against Oklahoma. They were targeting him all game until the cheap-shot artist finally broke his jaw!!! It's right at the beginning of the film.

Agreed. And as the film notes, after they broke his jaw he went back into the game... until they broke it again!