Grey Cup Ticket Sales Shows What Media Knows.

I've always heard these supposed "pre-eminent" media types in Toronto, like Stephen Brunt and Dave Naylor, telling us how the Grey Cup coming back to Toronto was a huge gamble for the cFL. Blah blah blah.

But then you see the bloody game is almost sold out ten months before the actual event?

Yet do you think these know nothings will admit their obvious blunders? Hell know. That'll make them look stupid. Again.

No, they'll probably just find another molehill to turn into a mountain.

Luckily for the CFL, its fans are alot smarter than the idiots in the media. But you gotta wonder who hires these people?

In fairness berezin, the negative Naylor and Brunt, may have had reason to doubt the City for this GC.
I know I was a "doubting Thomas".

I agree with argotom. I have heard that he last few times it has been there were the absolute worst ones ever (party and organization wise). Still a ways to see whether this will rank up there.

Yes Billy the jury is still out despite what appears to be an awesome and very surprising situation for ticket sales right now.
But will the majority of citizens care and become involved?

I heard on the radio this afternoon that there was about 10,000 seats still available.

How's is that almost sold out?

lets see...maybe because 4/5 have been sold after only 2 days of public sales.

Considering it’s a tough market, a 51,000 seat stadium, and that there’s only been 37 hours of ticket availability to non-Argos season ticket holders … 10,000 seats left means it should definitely sell out. It’s EASILY on pace.

And if the “Over the Top in Toronto” group does its work, then the people will get into it … if they create a party atmosphere, people will come and see how much fun the CFL really is.

But Captain, Im given her all shes got.....

Tickets have been available to Argo and Ti-Cat season ticket holders for a lot longer than that. But yes, I agree with your point that sales are very good and at a surprisingly brisk pace.

Agreed. No argument there. It's great to see.

I need more, dammit! :slight_smile:

I have no doubt that it will sell out. And yes, tickets are selling fast. I was just scatching my head at the statement that it was almost sold out now. That implies that it would be hard to get a ticket. My point was, that with 10,000 seats left (20% empty), getting a ticket should be no problem. (now)

If Ivor Wynne's capacity is 29,000 and it was 20% not sold, would you describe a crowd of 23,200 as being almost sold out? I wouldn't. That would be one of our poorest attendance in years.

But alas, I think I'm just arguing semantics.

Brunt did indeed admit he was wrong. I heard him on the fan. He was surprised about the brisk rate of ticket sales (as a lot of us are, including Keith Pelley). Brunt seemed genuinely pleased by what's happening. He didn't look stupid at all. At least not to me.

As for Naylor? I don't know. I don't read him.

Good piece by Steve Simmons:

Nothing like Grey Cup week - T.O. ready to party?

"The party to kick off Grey Cup week in Toronto was cancelled yesterday because of inclement weather.

Never mind that Grey Cup games have been played in mud, fog and rain and Regina -- but here in Toronto, we play our football indoors now, nice-and-cosy-like, with the roof closed and the temperature controlled.

"Well at least we know the game won't be cancelled," said Brad Watters, chairman of the Toronto Grey Cup committee, and man in charge of this attempted miracle.

You see, the truth is, Grey Cup week doesn't look much like Toronto, doesn't act much like Toronto, doesn't smell much like Toronto.

Grey Cup week is fun and silly and frivolous. Grey Cup week is about football revellers wearing the jerseys of their favourite team with the names "Drunk" and "Drunker" on the back. Grey Cup week is all about excess -- eating too much, weighing too much, drinking too much, staying up too late.

Grey Cup week is everything the Toronto Film Festival isn't -- it is user friendly, it is accessible, it is reasonably inexpensive as big events go, and you don't have to dine at Sotto Sotto or Spuntini to run into stars as huge (and we're not talking waistline) as Danny McManus.

One quick Grey Cup secret: Either McManus has a lot of people who look like him or he just happens to be everywhere during Grey Cup week. You go to a Super Bowl and you will never trip over Dan Marino or John Elway. Hang around the Spirit of Edmonton room long enough and McManus is certain to drop by.

The real challenge for Watters and friends: Sell the tickets and make people in Toronto care.

Right now, one may be easier than the other. Tickets are moving at a brisker rate than expected. The event part -- now that is the real concern for a guy who found a niche market for a pro lacrosse team in a city that usually detests niche sports.

"Let's be honest, a lot of the events of Grey Cup, I hate to say it, revolve around drinking. And I'm not about to put lipstick on a pig and dress it up. It is what is," said Watters, who was once sold a bill of goods by the Canadian Football League called the Renegades and has the debt to prove it.

"The real challenge for us is to embrace both sides, the grassroots Grey Cup goer and then soup it up for those have never experienced this before. We're not about to make it more than it is, though. We want that Grey Cup feeling in Toronto.

"We're going to keep it central. A lot of events will be right at the Convention Centre. Everything will be going on within five blocks of Rogers Centre. You should be able to take part and never take a cab."

Except maybe the cab ride home.

Yesterday, Watters was prepared to announce some of the events that will be part of Grey Cup Week. But those announcements have been delayed by weather and not necessarily lack of interest.

Lack of interest is what happened the previous time Toronto attempted to join the rest of Canada. We failed miserably at it. Way back in 1992, the house was papered, the bars were empty and Doug Flutie put on a show and nobody cared. That was 15 years and about 15 Argos owners ago.

This is a new team and a new time and a hope this city can find a way to care about something Americans don't care about that isn't the Leafs. This isn't Super Bowl week and it's a good thing for that.

Super Bowl week is a wonderful corporate schmooze for those who can afford the high-priced tickets and higher-priced events. It ain't for Doug and Mary from Edmonton.

Toronto probably would like Super Bowl week. We can be that phony if called upon. Question is: Can we actually have fun for five days in November, because people make Grey Cup what it can be, not the events themselves?

Much is planned, although still a secret because of snow and sleet. An reunion of old Argonauts -- maybe the 1971 team -- will take place. There also will be some events that surround the Vanier Cup, which will be played the day before Grey Cup.

In the beginning and in the end, the whole project is a monumental challenge. Even Argos co-owner David Cynamon is into the spirit of it.

At the most recent Grey Cup in Winnipeg, the well-known David Asper held a media party at his home that was, to say the least, fabulous. Cynamon is promising something even better.

Now that is the kind off challenge we welcome. Just so long as it isn't cancelled because of weather conditions."

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmons/2007/03/02/3686210-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Si ... 0-sun.html[/url]

Here’s something I hope the CFL and Argo’s get right. What makes the Grey Cup great in a place like Sask, or Edmonton is that the whole province not just the host city is brought into the festival. Now, maybe that’s a little tougher to do in a place like Ontario, but the CFL has an opportunity to bring in thousands of fans who have never been CFL fans before if they get out and sell it in Oakville and Brampton and Markam, etc. Its great to see that they’re focussing everything into 1 location downown for the party, this is usually the way its done in most succesful Grey Cup cities, but what’s amazing about a Regina or Edmonton or WInnipeg Grey Cup is that you can walk into any mall, any bar, any gas station within 100 miles of the city and there are posters, and baloons and Grey Cup volunteers ready to greet you. I’m not sure that Toronto is ready to embrace that kind of atmosphere, but it would do the CFL a world of good if they could get out there in that way.

Re-reading the article again, I'm pretyy impressed that Steve Simmons admitted this about the '92 GC, shows well on him:

We failed miserably at it.

Good job Steve. :thup:

Is it only me, but it does appear good old Stevie is getting mellow in his old age.
Writing more good articles then bad about the CFL?
However, the likes of Naylor and Brunt have replaced him in the continuous negative slant.

They have already sold more tickets to this game months ahead of time than the total number of tickets that sold for the last GREY CUP held in Hamilton in 1996. :thup:

And they haven't even annouced the entertainment yet and we don't even know what teams will be playing. :thup:

1992 was in the dark days of the CFL in Toronto/Hamilton with the BILLS and JAYS taking over. The Bills where in the Superbowl and the JAYS just won the world series.

It didn't help that it was an all WEST GREY CUP game.
It helps to have an East / West match up.

1989 , was excellent and had one of the greatest GREY CUPS ever. It was sold out. :thup:

SASK. + HAMILTON fans made that GREY CUP festival real fun. :thup:

The GREY CUP in OTTAWA was real smart because ALL festival events where held right beside the stadium.Maybe they have learned from OTTAWA? :thup:

They don't like being made fools of , but it is just so easy. WE HAVE TO WRITE THEM. :thup:

STEVE , is getting much better but he is still great with the usual back handed compliment.

Either that or he doesn't think much of the people of Toronto. :lol: