Grey Cup Rooms

For the record as well, as much as I don't like the scalping of the hotel rooms, I believe it was the Spirit of Edmonton group and not the Grey Cup organizers that booked the SOE in that venue, just as the Rider Pride group booked themselves into the Husky House. :cowboy:

If you’d done your homework and read any of my earlier posts you’d know that I am most definitely not an Eskies fan (Bomber fan living in Vancouver actually). I am a fan of the Grey Cup, having attended most of the last 15 events and was just passing on my opinion. Wondering though…how many Cups have you attended?

The CFL never booked them. Travel agencies booked huge blocks, and are still selling them at 500% markup. I love seeing the game in Regina, but the town simply is not big enough. They need to have 6000 rooms for this event, and only have something like 3700.

I said F it and purchased a house in the summer which I used for lodging all season and have totally redone. I will sell it in the new year and end up making a nice lil profit.

OOOPS!!! My Bad!!! :oops: Sorry bout that yougottabekid,thought you were an Esk fan. So just for the record I mistook a Winnipeg fan,living in B.C for an Edmonton fan :slight_smile: I’m glad we straightened that one out,talk about follow the bouncing ball!!! As for your question,when it comes to Grey Cups you definitely have me beat,have sadly only been to 3 in my lifetime(72,78,96)I respect your opinion,and you obviously would know more than I about Grey Cup Festivities,and now it’s my turn to ask a question…with you being a B.B. fan who are you hoping or cheering for in the play-offs,since your team didn’t qualify this year??? I would guess…but I’d probably be wrong…again!!! :lol: :slight_smile:

Unfortunately this is the one major drawback of having the Grey Cup in a city this small, even if travel companies didn't book up all the hotels, there's usually a shortage anyways.

Like I have said previously, I am fortunate that I have a place to stay, otherwise I would not be going. I am not cheap or poor but I refuse to ge gouged which is what is happening with the rooms. I too have attended 15 or so Grey Cup games and if the trend of gouging continues, unless somebody I know moves to Vancouver, next years is doubtful.

The shortage of rooms should not mean that they should be unreasonably inflated prices.

With no horse in the race anymore I’ll be cheering for Canadian Football and beer…and I think we can all agree on that, right?

Will also have an eye towards Calgary this weekend when my old team, the U of M Bisons take on the Dinos in the Western CIS Final…

That should be a great game,good luck to you and your Bisons,unfortunately here in the Hammer,my Marauders were mauled last week,and my son’s York team as usual didn’t even qualify(he is the sports editor for the University).Two thumbs up though,to CFL football and beer :thup: :thup:

When I tried booking a room for the Grey Cup two hotels told me that the CFL had reserved every hotel room in downtown Regina. I called the organizing committee and was told the same thing. It seems you have to be connected to someone in the CFL to get a room. One travel agency has rooms for 4 nights at $999 but you have to book all 4 nights. That is likely a 100 % mark up. Apparently you could stay about an hour away and drive in every day. Lots of fun in the winter and who can go to parties and drive.

You were misinformed. When they said the CFL, they meant it was by the CFL. I know piles of people with rooms, and I actually had a room but cancelled it.

Who wants to stay and an hour away and drive back and forth in the winter after attending team functions of teams. It is winter in Saskatchewan. -10C for the game tomorrow and likely colder for the Grey Cup. Move the Grey Cup up 2 weeks or keep it in BC or Toronto! But no - the suits that make that decision sit in the warm box seats or at home watching a big screen! TSN runs the league and they don't want June games.

...so first it was no hotel rooms, then it was not being able to find your thread, now it's dates of the GC...bad day I guess eh?

Actually, long range forecasts say -2, and tomorrow’s game is one freakishly cold day in a few week span. It is actually going to be above 0 most of the coming week. It is supposed to b -20 with wind tomorrow, which is pretty cold, but wind has not been as huge of a factor this season with most of the stadium boxed in…should be not too bad.

As for the hour commutes, there are lots of buses running, and for a lot of people in bigger centers an hour commute is really nothing.

It is when you’re full of rye and trying to get home at 1:30 in the morning (with no cabs).

I would say most people who attend Grey Cup are there for the festival, parties, and the game. It ALL goes hand in hand. Who the hell wants to stay in Moose Jaw and commute back and forth to Regina for four days? Regina is too small for Grey Cup.

Friend of mine called from Sask. and said 85 rooms ( Sleep Inn ) will open up at a town called White City , he said it is a new hotel about 6 miles out of Regina , supposedly will open 15th of November-thats all I know .

The CFL didn't book any hotels wtf.

It was like private tour companies booking them up. Kind of sucks but I don't blame nobody for trying to make money. Evidently they have NOT priced themselves out as I have not heard any bad news as far as sales or whatnot.

Yea white city is just east of the city on the trans can. White City is a nice little place.

Then don’t come lol. Seems pretty simple to me.

There are probably a dozen hotels built in the last few years with 4-6 more on the books. They'll have enough for next GC.

Yes, lots of people will stay home, which is too bad… gotta love the small town mentality though, lol