Grey Cup quick vote

After the thrilling finish, let me spread some negative vibes just because I can.

The biggest disappointment of this year's game?

• The half-time show

• Marc Liegghio

• No sellout

• Randy Ambrosie

(Nothing against him personally, It's just whenever a complaint thread pops up the forum, Ambrosie is a dead cert to be mentioned at some point, so why not include him?)

2 Likes

Why has TSN not interviewd Chad Kelly?

2 Likes

The fact that the two actual best teams met in the West final instead of the Grey Cup. If the Argos are seeded according to their actual record, they don't even get to this game.

3 Likes

I vote Liegghio.

The half time show of course was disappointing but I didn’t expect better and couldn’t really care less.

The game was actually sold out some time ago.

3 Likes

Toronto winning. Or Winnipeg losing, depending how you want to look at it.

4 Likes

Face it, the western team played poorly in this game. Considering they tossed aside the number two team last week and got them out of the way, they should have been easily able to handle the Argos. Argos d- line outclassed the Bomber oline, Collaros was off his game, Liegghio was terrible. The line of reasoning coming from western fans that Argos had an easy path over and over comes off as sour grapes.

4 Likes

Only sour grapes if it is raised just now, which I purposely haven’t done. We’ve been discussing it for months. It has nothing to do with today’s game. The Argos simply didn’t earn their way into the game and most years the Eastern team doesn’t. It’s an annual problem that needs to be fixed yesterday and has nothing to do with the game today.

3 Likes

Agree that the Bombers played poorly today, and they should have been able to handle the Argos, as you say. That doesn’t change the fact that last weeks's WF was the two best teams duking it out, and should have been the GC matchup based on the quality of the teams.

I'm not a West fan or an East fan... and certainly not a fan of either of these two teams.
I'm a football fan. And I love the competition.

And I feel that the GC should be between two teams that are either a) the best or b) beat the best to get there. The Argos are neither.

I honestly believe that the Argos in the GC this year is a representation of exactly what is wrong with this league.

4 Likes

But the Argos literally just beat the best, whether it’s the semi finals or finals, they beat the best.

3 Likes

The problem is that they never had to legitimately earn their shot at the title. It was gifted to them simply because of geographical location. There were 2 other teams that were more deserving of a GC appearance.

1 Like

Fair enough and I get the reasoning. But the Grey Cup has always been an east west full week party. It’s as much about getting fans out from every area of the country, and keeping viewership interest across Canada. A BC-Wpg Grey Cup might play well in Sask, but imagine that game in Toronto or Montreal. We’ve already seen a couple of real duds in TO when Wpg was the east rep in ‘92 and 2007.

I could live with the east and west division winners getting a bye, then seeding the next 4 teams accordingly. Would be a little fairer than what’s happening now but still keep the possibility of an east- west final going.

Now if the league wants to go away from pre-awarding a host city the game, then it might make more sense to just seed 1-6 with home field advantage to the top seed all the way through. I wouldn’t even be against only going with the top 4 teams, with one week to decide the Cup finalist, then do a best two out of three week series to decide the Cup, alternating the games between the competing cities. That could take some of the fluke factor out of awarding the Grey Cup.

2 Likes

We ducked out on the half-time show to get 5-Guys hamburgers and fries. By the time we got back it was nearly over. Even so I was still disappointed that there was no frisby catching dog to watch.

1 Like

Ambrosie for me.

I think that was the highlight, not disappointment.

Any team can beat any other team on any given day.

2 Likes

Winnipeg was my second favourite team this year. Toronto was only 4th, or maybe tied for 4th.

on any given sunday!

2 Likes

All of that above

After a great game with 2 very good teams you have to start with something negative? !!

you are an argo fan, right :slight_smile:

1 Like