Grey Cup on TSN - Will I need to have Cable TV now?

I am really not happy about having to subscribe to cable TV in order to be able to watch the playoffs and Grey Cup.

Please tell me that CTV is going to rebroadcast the feed.

:(

I think it's a pretty safe bet that CTV will broadcast at least the Grey Cup, and likely the playoffs as well.

The way I read the press release:

and

So, you will either need to subscribe to basic cable, or (likely pay to) watch it on tsn.ca or (likely pay to) watch it on your cell phone.

Anyone know what cable penetration is like in Canada? How many homes can see TSN, vs how many homes can see CBC or CTV?

I'm assuming that TSN is also considered CTV ,it just isn't mentioned....The playoffs & Grey Cup should be on CTV like mentioned
Hmmm ...never assume anything!!! :cowboy:

Let me answer my own question. According to this this link there are 12.6 million households with at least one TV and 11 million of those have cable or DTH (e.g. Bell ExpressVu). So almost 87% of Canadians (with TVs) can watch TSN (since almost all cable packages and DTH packages include TSN - not sure about francophone areas).

According to CTV's website, 99% of English Canada can receive CTV over the air.

One more interesting point. The cable/DTH penetration varies on where you live. In Quebec 14% of people do not have cable. In BC and Atlantic Canada, less than 6% do not have cable.

Well, with those numbers JH, getting better quality production with TSN is the way to go. Not many people in Canada do not have cable and of those that do not, a high percentage may not be TV watchers anyway.

if you don't want subscribe to cable for just the playoffs and grey cup, it would just be wise to go to a resturant and watch the games.

And that's what I would do for Leafs TV for games that are on their own private network. I don't want to subscribe to this but for the odd game that is important I might go to a restaurant.

Note: The part above about me alluding to the fact I'm a Leafs fan is fiction, I'm a Habs fan, just using Leafs TV as an example as I don't know if the Habs have their own network. Whew, glad I got this out of the way. :wink:

You'd better get used to subscribing to cable or satelite because within 2 to 3 years all TV stations will be switching to an all digital/HD format. Therefore no analogue signals will be broadcast over the air waves.

I hear you though. I have Bell ExpressVu now but I can recall about 10/15 years or so ago when the CBC didn't televise games until Labour Day. Up until Labour Day all the games were on satellite/cable (TSN) which at the time I couldn't get as I was still on antenna.

That used to peeve me off. I don't know what the numbers were like back then but I can only assume there were alot more people still on antenna and alot less people on satellite/cable. (Probably helps explain why the CFL had such drastically poor ratings to the point of almost folding). Pee poor televising at the time...little CBC...somewhat retricted access of TSN and on top of it all...local blackouts.

What's that old saying?? "We've come along way baby!"

I recall the recent World Cup final game was a simulcast on TSN and CTV, so a CTV-TSN simulcast of the Grey Cup would be quite possible.

Whether that happens in conjunction with the other playoff games also being shown on CTV is another question. We shall see.

Oski Wee Wee,

Can the games still be seen on Directv ??

Why do you assume that CTV will televise the games?
Why should they televise the games when the can show something different and market their advertising to separate groups.

Mikem
Digital signals can be broadcast over the airwaves

Well, I don't believe you can get TSN on DirectTV. But then again, you can't get CBC on DirectTV either.

But... You can get Comcast SportsNet, which does televise the Grey Cup.

Actually you can get CBC on DirecTV

There will be few stations that will broadcast over the airwaves. All will be digital TV and you will need a digital convertor and if you an old analogue TV the quality will be bad over the airwaves.

http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/Digital-TV.html

Even though Tom Wright said the CFL
did not solicit a bid from the CBC

because the league was satisfied
with the rights fee that
TSN was willing to pay.

It doesnt really matter, because TSN
is the master licensee in the current deal,

and as such had a window of exclusive negotiation.

William Houston's article of Wed. Dec. 20 2006,

in the Globe @ Mail click here

P.S.

There seems to be various opinions on the numbers.

JH, I would think your source is more valid
than the Globe @ Mail's William Houston, who said

'The CBC, which had planned to align
with CanWest Global in its bid,

is a free over-the-air broadcaster
reaching about 13 million Canadian households.

TSN, a cable service, is in about 8.8 million households.

[ Only 67.7% according to my calculations.]

"Had we been given the opportunity, the CFL would have seen
that our offer would have given Canadians across the country
free access to all CFL games on conventional television,"
[CBC spokesman Jeff] Keay said.

However, in terms of audiences, [Tom] Wright said
there is little to choose between the CBC and TSN.

Of the CFL's nine largest regular-season audiences in 2006,
not counting the Labour Day and Thanksgiving doubleheaders,
six were on TSN. Of the top four, three were on TSN.

In a tone that sounded somewhat elitist, Wright said
the quality of an audience is sometimes more important
than the quantity.