Grey Cup Officiating

Let's not forget the Bratton 'non-catch' which to my mind was a completed catch. Fortunately, we were able to drive into FG range all the same, but still, that could have been a game-changing call.

I am still shocked by how lax officials are at calling receiver offside on any team. Receivers routinely are ahead of the ball being snapped without a flag. I guess they've been told only to flag the most egregious cases in the interests of generating more offense.

Suitor did do a geat job on Alexander's interference with Richardson; shoulders not square to the line of scrimmage and all that. Some complain that he's a Rider homer, but he sure showed some objectivity there.

In the final analysis though, that bad non-call is cancelled out by the non-call when Steve Baggs was tackled trying to catch an interception. Block him okay, tackle him not okay.

As for Bratton, i think the correct call was made based on the rule as it is. On field officials called it incomplete. All the replays I saw were not conclusive one way or the other; even the magnified, slowed down one didn't give me conclusive evidence of a catch or a non-catch. So since you need conclusive evidence to overturn the onfield call, I think Ireland did thr correct thing. Had the onfield officials called it a catch and the RIders challenged it, I think again Ireland would have said no conclusive evidence to overturn and it would have stood as a completed pass. Just my take on it. Maybe my eyes are going. . .

I could be wrong but i thought once a ball is tipped you can then do what ever you want to the receiver.