GREY CUP IS A FINANCIAL BOOM UPWARDS OF $100M

Even here in Toronto, the wannabe US city, the financial boom in last years Grey Cup week was a financial mega windfall.
Close to $100 million and there is no other sporting event in our country when combined to the unity that can bring this kind of return to a city.
With this in mind, you would think expansion to several cities would be fast tracked as the quick returns in building a stadium is evident.
Although not in the article, the Argos turned a profit of $6+M on the game.

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2008/07/04/6061606-sun.html]http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoA ... 6-sun.html[/url]

I completely agree argotom. I think Cohon/the CFL should dangle a big fat Grey Cup carrot to get stadiums built and potential owners to ante up.

My idea is that any new expansion team/city gets 2 Grey Cups in the first 10 years. That'll go a long way to making a stadium construction financially viable and the CFL franchise profitable.

I agree. The CFL should attach strings to anybody future Grey Cup cities. ie. New or renovated stadium. Or giving an expansion team the Grey Cup their first year.

Grey Cup is a huge money maker for the city hosting it, and for the network showing it.
The CFL should use it as leverage.

In fact Tom Wright should have given TSN the regular season and playoffs. But then sold the Grey Cup game to the highest bidder.
The more you look at it, the more you see how badly Tom Wright cost the CFL millions.

Let me reword what I said.

Years before Tom Wright came on the scene,
in TSN's last TV contract, the CFL agreed

to give TSN exclusive bargaining rights
when the contract came up for renewal.

End of story,

Google it.

And what network wouldn't want 4 million viewrs. They pay to show the Academy Awards and the Olympics.

Why wouldn't another network like Global of CTV
and especially CBC jump at
the chance to show the Grey Cup?

P.S.

This true whether Braley blurted out
something blaming Tom Wright or not.

Wright didn't allow any competition from CBC.
He jumped at TSN's offer.
And what network wouldn't want 4 million viewrs.
They pay to show the Academy Awards and the Olympics.
Why wouldn't another network like Global of CTV and especially CBC jump at the chance to show the Grey Cup?

berezin you fail to realize Tom Wright never made the deal and didn't approve the deal alone. The BOG knew what was happening and approved what was happening.

Now onto the $100M the city of Toronto made on the Grey Cup. The problem with this number is it factors in everything related to the game and excludes anything not related to the game. So assuming that all week long from the Monday to Monday they had 10,000 hotel room full for people attending the game. At an average of $200 a night that is $14M. Then they add the hotel staff and the meal etc. What they don't factor in is the number of hotel staff that would have been paid because they needed to be on staff anyways. Even with Hotel rooms they don't look at the average attendance before the game and subtract it from the increased attendance.

While I agree that holding the Grey Cup will have a small impact, it is now where near the $100 million that some are saying.

Then why was one owner, I think David Braley, say that the TV deal was presented to them after it was already signed??
He didn't know what was going on. If he didn't, how would anybody else?

What Braley said earlier this year, was that he didn't think they got the best deal by talking to TSN only.

For him to say that the BOG didn't know what was going on is wrong. It was public knowledge that CBC wasn't being invited to the discussions, because CBC made it publicly known before the deal was finalized with TSN.

Build it, and they will come.

There is absolutely no doubt that hosting a GC is a financial windfall for any city. And, it is only going to get bigger. Just watch Montreal this year top those TO numbers.

Commish. of any league always has (or should) the last say on these kinds of deals, making them the one to blame when things go wrong!

and the reason the CBC was not invited
to the last TV contract discussions was

Years before Tom Wright came on the scene, in TSN's last TV contract, the CFL agreed

to give TSN exclusive bargaining rights
when the contract came up for renewal.

I know you know that, Mikejth, I am
just trying to clarify it for others.

The NHL, MLB, and NBA all use All-Star Games to help get facilities built.
Recent NHL examples (city-year hosting-year arena opened):
Minn.-04-00, LA-02-99, Colo.-01-99, Tor.-00-99, TB-99-96, Van.-98-95.
Recent MLB examples: Pitt.-06-04, Hous.-04-03, Milw.-02-01, Atl.-00-99.
The NFL uses the Super Bowl. Recent and upcoming examples: TB-01-98, Hous.-04-02, Det.-06-03, Ariz.-08-06, Dall.-11-09, Indy-12-09.

The CFL could do the same thing with the Grey Cup. They could pretty much cover any government investment by offering up 3 Grey Cups over a 5 year period.
I'm also surprised that no one in Winnipeg has suggested using this to help get public support for building a new stadium there.
If it works for other pro sports leagues, as well as events like the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, etc., why would the CFL be any different?

Those Toronto figures just go to show that the Grey Cup has become a big time event as well as a financial windfall for the host city and thus should be held in the same regard and receive the same kind of financial support from the the various levels of government that any Pan Am Games, track and field championship, and soccer tournament seem to enjoy in this country.

You have to wonder, maybe, if Rogers don't get the Bills if they might want to go after the Argos if they do go on the market, or maybe even a new team of their own. You have to wonder really.