Grey Cup In Hamilton? It's our Turn!

I know me and the pops (better known as Bobo around these parts) have talked about this a bit. The East final was a mission trying to navigate through the log jam on the concourse. The lines from the concessions/bathrooms just blend in and personally I just found it to be a nightmare. I really feel like this will be a massive problem when we host the Grey Cup.

I will be going no matter rain, snow, hail, or god forbid the Argos are playing (again… ). I wouldn't miss it for anything but cant lie I am pretty concerned about how this stadium is going to compensate for over 10,000 more human beings roaming around.

Book a great halftime show - which keeps most people in their seats - problem solved! :smiley:

Bieber again anyone???… .

Most tweeted pop star though of 2014 whatever that signifies. :wink:

I'd assume that the temp stands would come with temp facilities. Food trucks, porta-potties, whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed off Beechwood and part of the Cannon St plaza to get some extra space.

And for the record, I haven't found the concourse at THF to be a nightmare. Granted, getting out at the end of the game is unusually slow and I haven't tried to order food, but any time I've gone to the bathroom at half time I'm back in my seat with 10 minutes left to wait.
I also went to the game in Ottawa and sat on the brand new south stand. From a functional standpoint, the design is pretty similar to THF, but I felt far more jam-packed in Ottawa than at any point at THF.

I was thinking Ottawa in 2016, Toronto in 2017 and Hamilton in 2018.

I'm picking Ottawa before Hamilton because their stadium opened months before ours.

I think Toronto gets the Grey Cup in 2017 as the Argos are homeless in 2018. This would possibly help the Argo franchise in two ways. First, the attention the Grey Cup generates might help get the deal done for BMO Field and secondly it may help find a new owner. Of course it could happen in 2016 to keep 2017 open for Ottawa.

I just hope we can keep the coaching/scouting personnel together until then. I think they've done a great job.

Pongetti mentioned the new stadium in Ottawa. We went on Halloween and I thought it was pretty good. Seats aren't as nice as ours and seemed a little tighter than THF. Was really surprised to see the line up for the mens washroom while there was NONE for the womens. That doesn't happen often.

But an additional 10,000 wouldn't be roaming around the stadium. The problem is easily solved by putting in porta potties and concessions in the temp stand areas and that area is fenced off. Your ticket gets you into the temporary stand areas only, there would be no way to get into the permanent area of the stadium.
It worked in Ottawa in 2004, they put in two 10k end zone areas at either end and marshalls made sure your ticket got you into that area only, if you left the temporary stand area you were outside of the stadium.

If Regina can add 12,000 - 20,000 which they've done, Hamilton should be able to figure out the logistics of adding 15-20,000 seats. And they'll certainly have the stadium completed by next year and have any bugs worked out before 2016.

Just curious, looking at pictures/diagrams of THF, the north stands seem to curve slightly inwards at the end zones, while the south does not. Perhaps this is to allow for the eventual addition of permanent seating, while leaving the south end open.

Hamilton cannot put in a bid for hosting the Grey Cup yet because the Stadium has not been signed over to the City.
As of this moment, for bidding purposes, the Stadium is still not built, it is still a construction zone!
They are talking Jan. now but we have heard all of that crap before. :roll:

Stadium set to be done in January – maybe

By Matthew Van Dongen
The Hamilton Spectator

[b]The city doesn’t expect to take over its long-delayed Pan Am stadium until the end of January – or even later.

“I have no confidence (in that date),” said public works head Gerry Davis, who received the latest estimated substantial completion deadline for the increasingly late $145-million stadium from Infrastructure Ontario.

“If it’s in April, it’s in April.”

The stadium needs to be turned over to Pan Am Games organizers in June in advance of the July soccer games.

But otherwise, the delay is less important now to the city, Davis said, because Tiger-Cat games are over for the season and few community rentals of the stadium would be expected over the winter.

That’s Coun. Lloyd Ferguson’s view too. “We’re not paying to heat it or clean it. At this point, I’m not too worried,” he said.

The contractor, Ontario Sports Solutions, won’t be fully paid until it turns over the stadium to the city. That was supposed to happen at the end of June.

The contractor initially blamed a harsh winter and a contractor lost to bankruptcy for the delays.

The Spectator later learned flaws in the structural design forced repeated additions of new steel reinforcements, a development that spurred the city to commission an independent peer review of the changes.

Davis said work is “non-compliant” with the contract on about 50 issues, notably an unfinished forecourt, a non-functional elevator and three of four boilers that aren’t operating.

Hundreds more “deficiencies” need to be fixed, but Davis noted those are relatively minor issues such as a blocked electrical outlet.[/b]

It's pretty apparent the stadiums in Hamilton and Regina are nothing alike, not sure how you can compare the two?

Have you even been to THF? If you did you would understand the issues.

Another thing to remember, someone said they may do what Ottawa did in 2004 and keep everyone segregated. And in the south end zone there is a lot more space for temp concessions, including that ice rink area. On a one off basis, it could work.

Hopefully the Ticats consider it on a more permanent basis to alleviate congestion at half time, but then that would be extremely hard to track people entering and leaving.

Fair enough, I figured they would need to segregate them but just really never have given much thought to concourses and accomodations for expanded crowds because I never have had to think about it being in Hamilton. I felt like I was at a house party or a rave trying to navigate the concourses :lol: but glad to hear some dont find it a problem at all, maybe I am just being spoiled because there was so much room at Ivor Wynne.

I am still ridiculously pumped to go when it happens, will be my first ever Grey Cup live.

Hard to believe that it was almost 20 yrs ago…Grey Cup “96” The Snow Bowl. Except for the fact that the WRONG team won and I froze my arse off,still one of my all time best memories from many at Ivor Wynne. :smiley: It’s time to close the Ivor Wynne book and open up a new book of memories known as THF,which is off to a great start with an undefeated home record and an Eastern Final Championship in its inaugural season .It would be nice to hopefully have a 20 yr anniversary Grey Cup for the city in 2016 and of course another hometown victory for the Cats ala “72” :rockin:

[/quote]
It is a bidding system and voted on by the Board of Governors.

"The Grey Cup host is determined by a bid process. Teams/cities submit bids to the CFL to host the championship game and the prior week of festivities. The host city is awarded the Grey Cup by a vote of the board of governors. The game is usually awarded about two years prior to the date to allow for planning. There is an attempt to rotate the game between all member cities of the league, however all bids must guarantee certain revenue to the league. Teams without the facility capabilities to guarantee the necessary revenue will refrain from bidding, such as Hamilton from 1997 to 2014, and presently Montreal who have issues with Olympic Stadium being a viable site if there is snowfall."

http://cfldb.ca/faq/league/

http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/ham/timhortonsfield/images/HTCStadium-002.jpg
[/quote]
That doesn't change the fact that you cannot fill 55,000 seats, like you could in B.C.
Even if adding another 10,000 seats, you are still at only ~35,000 .

The Eagle

It is a bidding system and voted on by the Board of Governors.

"The Grey Cup host is determined by a bid process. Teams/cities submit bids to the CFL to host the championship game and the prior week of festivities. The host city is awarded the Grey Cup by a vote of the board of governors. The game is usually awarded about two years prior to the date to allow for planning. There is an attempt to rotate the game between all member cities of the league, however all bids must guarantee certain revenue to the league. Teams without the facility capabilities to guarantee the necessary revenue will refrain from bidding, such as Hamilton from 1997 to 2014, and presently Montreal who have issues with Olympic Stadium being a viable site if there is snowfall."

http://cfldb.ca/faq/league/

http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/ham/timhortonsfield/images/HTCStadium-002.jpg
[/quote]

That doesn't change the fact that you cannot fill 55,000 seats, like you could in B.C. Even if adding another 10,000 seats, you are still at only ~35,000 .
The Eagle [/quote] Yes, so it means that with a crowd of 35k their profits will be a lot lower. Instead of making $8 Million or so they make $4 or 5 Million. Maybe they could do some cost cutting like not hiring a major half time act.

Quality and/vs quantity, this is going to end up being a very, very nice stadium for a city like Hamilton, which isn't a Vancouver. The CFL will recognize that and give kudos to that if the Cats and the City are able, which they will I assume, put in a classy and proper bid for what Hamilton is, and as I say it isn't Vancouver, obviously. But Hamilton has a lot going for it, fortunately THF happened. The NHL might not want a thing to do with this city but f....k them, they don't give a rats arse about the hockey history in this city. F....k them.

Mosaic added ~20,000 seats in the end zones a few years ago and about 12,000 last year. Hamilton would also be adding end zone seats I suppose. So if Regina can make it work I think Hamilton should be able to.

Caretaker we need your opinion on The Hammer 2016?!$

Ok my answer the process has stalled because of late completion to the city Bob time to sue the builder for damages $$$$ This is a total sham :thdn:

I think given the extra room that you havein the south end zone I think I need 8500 there could easily fit. the other end zone with the scoreboard on the north side not as confident.

If i am correct when they were building the stadium they said it could be expanded to 40 thousand seats and maybe standing room only could be added and also about a couple of weeks ago the caretaker was on am 900 and said he was not sure when hamilton could host a grey cup as the stadium was not even turned over to the city as of yet as construction is still not completed