Grey Cup Genrates more Revenue then Superbowl

[url=http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/will-the-super-bowl-generate-600m-for-nyc-region-probably-not-economists-say-1.1656643]http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/will-the ... -1.1656643[/url] [url=http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/teams/story/?id=423832&hubname=cfl-argonauts]http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/teams/story/?id=4 ... -argonauts[/url]

The heading on this thread is very misleading. I don't even know where to begin. As somebody who works in travel and tourism i don't trust any number about 'total attendance at a parade' or 'total economic impact'. Tourism Toronto claims over $100 million dollar economic impact from an event where the game was attended by about 90% people from Toronto. So fewer than 10,000 people most of whom were in Toronto for just two or three nights generated an extra $100 million? Hmmm - call me a skeptic.

But even ignoring the economic impact for a city - let's be real - the Grey Cup does not 'generate more revenue' than the Super Bowl. Not even close!

And let me be clear I'm VERY happy about that because at least pricing for a Grey Cup is within reach for a lot of us. A Super Bowl weekend and how much that would cost is WAY out of my snack bracket. I've had people buy Super Bowl packages off me a few years ago when the game was in Miami and four guys paid over $3000 each for two nights accommodation and upper deck tickets to the game. That was the low priced package and did not even include flights. Some of the VIP packages topped $6000 per person! I know packages to this weekend are going for $2700 per person for two night packages and scalper prices are starting to drop but are still in excess of $2500 per ticket just for a ticket to the game. Heck even 'ticketless' Super Bowl packages for 3 nights at a suburban Comfort Suites outside Newark s going for over $1100 per person. That doesn't include flights, nor the game, just a ticket to the Pregame Fan Plaza party and a Super Bowl program.

Look I love the CFL and I'm glad it has lots of defenders. I spent years trying to convince all my NFL loving friends in Toronto to give the CFL a chance even dragging them to Ivor Wynne Stadium to give them a real CFL experience instead of the Rogers Centre morgue the Argos play in. But I would not be doing the CFL any good if I were to say to one of them the title of this thread. They quite rightly would laugh me out of the room.

Wait until your friends see THF. They will surely be impressed.

Our forum was running low on the "NFL is bigger better more heavenly and CFL is tiny and envious" posters. Glad we have someone else step up to the plate again.... Or step up to the 110 yard field. life on the Internet is complete once again

The title is correct!

Look at American Big League cities, they all have huge poverty issues. What these articles demonstrate is that the big dollar athletes do little for the economies of the cities they represent, they in fact drain the economies, like Cleveland, Detroit, Baltimore, Houston.

An NFL team will only drain Toronto's, and Ontario's economy ( big contracts and corporate deals do not trickle down to benefit economies.)

The CFL Generates more beneficial economic impact than does the Not For League!

TravelPatB your assumptions are totally false and your facts are completely wrong in your on-going criticisms of the CFL.

The Grey Cup generates much more profits for the organizers than the Super Bowl, but the economic impact for the host cities are very comparable.

It's well documented over the past half dozen Grey Cups that they've generated up to $140 million for the host city and province. In the last Vancouver Grey Cup, 30,000 fans from out-of-the-province attended the game and stayed an average of 4 days at the Grey Cup festivities. This is typical of most recent Grey Cups with over half the fans traveling from out of province. This delivers a major economic impact for the host team and city.

The Super Bowl generally has larger crowds but the game does not generate the profits the Grey Cup does. The recent SB in Houston generated a $900,000 profit for the organizers. The recent Indianapolis SB lost over $1 million. Grey Cups on the other hand have been generating $10 million to $12 million in profits for the host team over the past several years.

The NFL often boasts economic impact of $300 million or more for the SB, but the reality is the host state earns about $100 to $150 million in economic activity...very comparable to the Grey Cup festivals.

2011 Grey Cup: November’s Grey Cup Festival and Championship resulted in an economic impact in excess of $118 million for the province of British Columbia. The event played host to 130,000 fans of which 33% came from outside the province, making more than 290,000 visits to official and associated events. Out of province fans stayed an average of 4.15 days at the events.

2012 Grey Cup: The total economic activity generated by the 100th Grey Cup was more than $133.1 million throughout the province. The event attracted more than 199,400 spectators, including 86,400 out of town spectators to Toronto.

Indianapolis lost more than $1 million hosting Super Bowl

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/18/indy-lost-more-than-1-million-hosting-super-bowl-but-isnt-complaining/]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mplaining/[/url]

Super Bowl hosting a boon or bust?

[url=http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2012/0204/Super-Bowl-cities-Is-hosting-a-boon-or-a-bust]http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2012/ ... -or-a-bust[/url]

Super Bowl underwhelms as economic boost

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/news/as-economic-boost-super-bowl-underwhelms/]http://www.cbsnews.com/news/as-economic ... derwhelms/[/url]

TravelPatB has now taken over for the role of fountain of misinformation.

OK I've stopped laughing now. Let me try this again - I wrongly assumed you guys knew what the definition of 'revenue' was. Clearly I was wrong. If the heading of this thread was 'Grey Cup generates a bigger economic impact for host city' - I would take it with a grain of salt - but let it pass because after 20 years of working in travel and tourism I know full well how bogus numbers are bandied about all the time. I've seen tourism boards in different cities claim the same economic impact from a two day 2500 person conventions as another claims from a week long 10,000 person conference. Tourism boards are infamous for exaggerating numbers - statements like certain parades attracting one million spectators annually - yet it is physically impossible to have even half that number at the parade even if people were standing shoulder to shoulder and filling in the entire parade route leaving no room for anything to move down the parade route. Just like they exaggerate those all the time - they exaggerate economic impact. After all they want to keep getting those huge government grants they get.

But ALL of that is a moot point and is not what I'm talking about. I'm saying the title of this thread 'Grey Cup Generates More Revenue than Superbowl' is wrong It says Grey Cup generates more revenue than the Super Bowl - AND IT DOESN'T!

Revenue - The income generated from sale of goods or services, associated with the main operations of an organization before any costs or expenses are deducted. Also called sales,

Ticket sales, program sales, party ticket sales, ad sales for the network showing the game etc etc. That was my point about the title of this thread being WRONG. Ad sales alone just in Canada (so not counting the $250 million dollars Fox is getting) are higher in Canada than the Grey Cup. The last year I can find figures for is from 2008 and that year CTV got $110,000 per spot compared to TSN getting $42,000 per spot for the Grey Cup,

The Super Bowl in Dallas generated $200 million dollars of revenue in ticket sales and concession sales alone. I could go on - but hopefully now you all understand the point I was making.

And even if I had to argue economic impact - I could - have a look at this report from the 2012 Super Bowl in Indy. Numbers like 116,000 out of town visitors, net new spending $345 million - and a bunch of other similarly huge numbers using what the authors of the report call 'conservative estimates'.

http://archive.indystar.com/assets/pdf/BG192278719.PDF

Look I'm not anti-CFL - I'm just a realist. Let's even do an in-game explanation of my realism compared to other fans. I'm a big Ti-Cats fan but have absolutely given up on following the in-game thread on the Ti-Cats board because other guys posting there have no grip on reality. Every scoring play by the other team - the refs missed a holding call, every penalty against the Cats is a bad call, the TSN announcers are in love with every player on the other team and NEVER say anything positive about a Ti-Cats player, that's what they would have you believe.

I feel reading some of these threads here talking CFL - NFL that I'm caught in a similar sort of suspended reality warp. Yes the CFL is a good and popular league and I love it and my Ti-Cats. But when I read things like Grey Cup generates more revenue than a Super Bowl or on another thread here saying TV ratings prove the CFL is '47% more popular than the NFL I feel like I'm back in a Ti-Cats in-game thread feeling totally baffled by some of the comments.

Corporate wheel greasing is not the same as economic benefit to a city!

I don't disagree with that comment massdestruction - I'm glad the CFL (and by extension the Grey Cup) is more 'real' fan oriented than the HUGE MONEY corporate schmooze fest the Super Bowl is.

Having said that though - even though a Super Bowl may not generate a positive impact in the $400 million range like the NFL claims - it nonetheless (just like a Grey Cup) does generate a positive impact on a local economy and that is why cities in the USA do everything they can to attract the Super Bowl to their city - just like cities are now lining up to host Grey Cups up here.

It should be noted that while the Superbowl usually commands higher rates than the Grey Cup, it's a bit unfair to compare CTV to TSN ad rates, one is consider "over the air" and the other Cable, TSN receives subscription fees and lower ad rates, CTV technically receives re-transmissions fees (I believe that's what it's called) and charges higher rates.

Even when the Grey Cup was one CBC the Superbowl rates were still higher, but again just pointing out that OTA and cable channels get different benefits.

You fail too mention how much it costs CTV for the rights to show NFL games compare to what it cost for TSN for the rights to broadcast CFL games. Also football is more than just 1 game. Advertisers have to pay for commercial time for a whole season. U.S. networks barely break even showing NFL games because of the silly high cost of those rights. It is great for the NFL but not the T.V. networks. Except for the SUPERBOWL in Canada , tell us how much revenue CTV makes [gross profit] for their whole season compared to how much TSN makes [gross profit]?

I also think that ALL tourist boards in EVERY country don't tell the whole truth.
Just because America [NFL] says it is true doesn't mean that it is. It does work both ways.
I remember 1 NFL broadcaster saying " you know that the WORLD CUP OF SOCCER FINAL is bigger than the Superbowl "
WELL DUH!!!

I'm pretty sure this guy is mikem.

On another note, i'm pretty sure that the Grey Cup generates way more economic benefit in Canada than the Super Bowl does in Canada.

CFL is by far more popular. The only reason why anyone watches the Super Bowl this time of the year is because there's no hockey games on. Anybody with a brain can figure that out, just what are Canadian supposed to watch on the most boring TV day of the week in the cold Canadian winter months, meanwhile a lot towns are not quite at winter yet and you could actually go outside and not freeze to death during the Grey Cup, unlike the Super Bowl. Several factors that lead to people watching the Super Bowl, a lot of the ratings are people that just want to watch the Halftime show as well. Anyone in the top 10 on the BIllboard charts is going to draw several million viewers on that note alone bringing up the averages of the game far beyond what any real football fan watches. And then subtract the gamblers who are fans of a new team every game and they don't even really know the rules of the game totally half the time, they just care about their spread not even the game really. In fact its way for them to get into the game because you can make so much more money on it.

Here's another way of looking at it, Virgingaming pays you to play online. They pay the top player way more for FIFA Soccer, because worldwide more people play it than Madden even. Madden and NBA 2K are neck and neck and I think even NBA 2k might out sell Madden now and is way more advanced of a game than Madden is. They get the same pay out and less than a 6th of the pay goes to the NHL. But guess what, i'm playing NHL and so is that room dominated by Canadians while the Madden room is all americans and FIFA is all sorts of different countries mostly from Europe.

Same thing applies to sports, Hockey will always be king in Canada over any Super Bowl. You want to know what the ratings would be if the Super Bowl went up against all 7 Canadian teams just playing their regular season games like they do against the Grey Cup? They would be far lower than the Grey Cup ratings. And especially if the Super Bowl happened to go up against any Canadian team especially Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal in the Stanley Cup Final? I'd be surprised if the Super Bowl got 200,000 viewers. If it was the Grey Cup the Grey Cup would win by a long shot as well.

The only way to compare is when they both have their regular season head to head. And head to head on Sundays CFL owns the NFL in TV ratings in Canada and that pretty much tells you right there. You have the NFL not even cracking 40,000 in Toronto effectively proving its a failure completely as its only one game a year and if there were a whole season you wouldn't stay much above 30,000.

The CFL will always be way more popular than the NFL in Canada.

If you watch CTV's broadcast of the NFL playoff games, alot of the commercial spots were filled with their own self promotions of programs on CTV and not products. While for the CFL playoffs and Grey Cup on TSN, it was full of product ads, with very few self-promoting commercials. Maybe the CFL gets more "bang for the buck" than the NFL, for businesses advertising!!!

Over the past couple years it was reported CTV couldn't sell all their Super Bowl ad space and had to fill with non-paid network and community service promos . In the 2nd half of last years Super Bowl game, 34% of the ads were promoting other CTV programs (i.e. filler).

When you consider the Grey Cup ticket revenue ($15 million+) and the $100 million+ economic impact on the host city, along with 6 million viewers (with all the TSN ads paid for)...the Grey Cup has a much bigger econ omic impact than the Super Bowl, which generates nothing but some inflated ad revenue for CTV which they can't even sell.

I'm curious - and I really don't know the answer to this other than some comments from friends who manage sports bars in Toronto over the years - but which game generates more business for sports bars and businesses like Pizza and Wing places across the country?

I've read the odd story online going either way and also have heard friends in the sports bar biz in Toronto that usually the Super Bowl is king but when the Argos were in the Grey Cup - that probably was busier. Admittedly that is a very small sample of conversations with people in those businesses in Toronto - which is likely more NFL-centric than most places in the country. Anybody know how they compare nationally?

I would like to know how much revenue the CFL has lost because of competition in its territory?

How bout we just look at "NFL-centric" Toronto;TV advertising_ Billions over the last 40 years?

Perhaps if NFL games were tape/delayed when CFL games are broadcasted live! as the U.S networks do (nbc?)?

NBCSN tape delayed some CFL games because what they were showing live at the time of a CFL game would get better ratings for them. Canadian networks don't tape delay the NFL because they get good ratings for it live - that would drop immensely if not shown live. Just as a CFL's games ratings would be way down if a game was not shown live up here.

CFL on TV in the USA I liken to coverage of something like Aussie Rules football here. Ratings not very big and probably not that different if carried live compared to showing it on tape delay because it is very much a 'fringe' league here. The CFL in the USA is very similar to that and ratings for a game shown live compared to a few hours tape delay - likely not that different.

The NFL is probably the third most popular sports league to Canadian sports fans (behind NHL and CFL) and we has fans would demand we get the games live. There would be hell to pay from football fans if somebody tried to block that from happening - most of those football fans - also fans of the CFL.

When I was doing a google search after posting the above to see if there was any information I could find on Super Bowl/Grey Cup pizza sales I did find a new press release from Canadian pizza giant Pizza Pizza that says Super Bowl Sunday is their second busiest day of the year.

[i]The chain´s locations – close to 400 across the country – are finishing preparations for what has become the second busiest day of the year in terms of sales. On February 2, pizza and wings, perennial party favourites, will continue to dominate the food sales charts, topping hosting tables coast to coast.

Last year, the chain processed over 100 orders per minute during Super Bowl Sunday at peak times, selling more than 60,000 pizzas and 145,000 wings. To keep up with the demand, Pizza Pizza is doubling its order takers (from 6 to 6:15 p.m. alone they’ll process over 1,500 orders) for the busy day –
[/i]

On a lark I emailed the contact on the press release to ask if number 1 was Grey Cup Sunday. Surprisingly I got a reply and sorry to report # 1 was New Years Eve and # 3 Halloween. So Grey Cup did not make the top 3.

[url=http://www.pizzapizza.ca/2014/01/27/media-advisory-feasting-on-footballs-big-game-canada%E2%80%99s-love-for-football-friends-and-food-leads-to-frenzied-super-bowl-sunday-at-pizza-pizza/]http://www.pizzapizza.ca/2014/01/27/med ... zza-pizza/[/url]