GREY CUP/ARGOS MINI STATE OF THE UNION

That just shows how much the Argos donation would mean to the LEAFS. The public (and the receiving charity) don’t care what percentage of revenue is being donated … they care about the number of dollars they’re getting. The only time they care about the percentage is if it’s greater than 50%, and advertised like that (“50% of all profits go to charity” … “all profits go to charity” … etc. And as a side rant, why couldn’t McDonalds donate more than $1 per burger to charity on their mchappy day? Sure, it’s better than nothing, but that’s only 25% of McDonald’s profits from Big Macs alone. You’re telling me McDonalds can’t go ONE DAY donating more than 25% of their profits to charity?!? THAT’S greed.)

Anyway, if the Leafs, or Raptors, or Blue Jays, or Toronto FC made a donation of $5M, then they’d instantly be seen as better than the Argos - whether or not it’s a drop in the bucket to them. And not just because those teams are the media darlings, and the Argos are the child living under the stairs … though doubtless that would have something to do with it :wink:

Haha, that would be funny if MLSE paid off the over 400 Billion Dollar Debt. don’t think they got that kind of cash.

Oh yeah the Leafs and McDonalds too could probably donate alot more.

Well for sure McDonalds could, they could easily make a day when 50% of all McDonalds Burgers or w/e went to charlty but they don’t because their in it for the money, the whole idea of the McDonalds McHappy Day is to be a huge money making day for McDonalds.
If they actually wanted to help charity for that day they would donate all profits on a random day.

the big name companies(McDonalds and Wal-mart) could both stand to Donate say 100M+++ to charities yearly in just norht american, but I don’t beleive they do.

MSLE could donate alot to the TO area, but they don’t. their choice no one is forced too, they do some things but could do more and this is coming from a huge leafs fan.

It would help their PR if they donated say 10M to a certain charity but they use their cash to build their own arenas(the Leafs are building a like 15M+ stadium complex) which is in part charity as it will be used for community teams and to attract things like Junior competitions.

Barnes, can you please clarify as I must have missed something:

"but they use their cash to build their own arenas(the Leafs are building a like 15M+ stadium complex) which is in part charity as it will be used for community teams and to attract things like Junior competitions."

If you are talking about the new practice facility, the city of Toronto with our taxpayer dollars is building several pads and which will be run by the profit oriented MLSE.
This mega corporation run by the Teachers Pension Fund does nothing with its own money.
It sucks the various municipalities and other levels of government, like the BMO Fied and City of Oshawa.

ah what the hell, I'll repeat it again.

BMO Field's construction and operation should be used as a model for stadiums across Canada. Not only did the arrangement allow provincial and federal government to pay only 50% of the total cost, it also gave the city ownership for only $10M. The rest was paid for by the private sector. The stadium is now operated for a profit by MLSE instead of run into the ground by municipal governments, Frank Clair being a prime example of the latter.

Now here comes the tricky part. I've tried to make this clear to argotom in the past, but i haven't made much progress yet. The city decided to sell operational control of the stadium for $8M and naming rights for $10M, both to MLSE, and put that $18M toward construction. MLSE would also be responsible for overseeing construction and any cost overruns. Argotom is mad because MLSE turned around and sold the naming rights for around $20M to BMO. Therefore, instead of MLSE paying $18M from their own pocket, that money was attained from the resale of the naming rights, AND THEN given to the government. MLSE therefore profits $2M from the stadium construction, while either way, the city gets the promised $18M.

It escapes me why this pisses argotom off. Lets imagine the scenario without MLSE's involvement: the three levels of government split the cost three ways. The city oversees construction, and being the retards that they are, costs probably jump to $90M. Congratulations, now tax payers are footing a $90M bill instead of $45M. The city then MAYBE sells the naming rights to BMO, but since they think it's only worth $10M, the private sector only pays $10M out of $90M.

Then over the years, the city runs the operations of the stadium. Since the ACC and rogers centre are both smarter than the city of toronto, the stadium loses business every year and takes massive losses. They try to recoup these losses by running up the lease for the TFC (exactly what happened at Frank Clair) to the point where the TFC folds. Congratulations, we now have an empty stadium, a sinkhole for tax dollars year after year.

Governments should NEVER have operational control of stadiums. If they can't see that naming rights are worth $20M instead of $10M, they've got no business in the operation business. This way, the city will profit every time they renew the operations contract with MLSE, instead of taking a hit from operating losses.

Now THAT was a barnes7-worthy post! lol

actually, that was still 2/3 shorter than his posts and yours made more sense.

Dmont, let me answer again some of your points.
First, MLSE has not put up any money in the stadium as the net return speaks to same. They are MAKING PROFIT ON THE BACKS OF TAXPAYERS.
There were no construction overruns that I am aware of so forget this "scam".
Heard earned taxpayer dollars should not finance a stadium that will be run exclusively for profit by the private sector, especially a multi million dollars for profit organization like MLSE.
I don't want my tax dollars going towards same and especially when they are reaking profit on the backs of all of us and on top of which they are now running the place to make more profit on groups who of course are the very same taxpayers whose hard earned dollars have contributed to the stadium.
The scam continuous as the city was thrown a minimal "bone" of some minor useage over the year.
If the MLSE conglomorate wanted to put their money and they have lots of it, why didn't they front the construcion of this stadium on at least two thirds one third basis just like Mr. Asper proposes in Winnipeg?
Furthermore, there are other examples which I have previously made regarding this same group and how the City of Toronto and Oshawa have "gone into bed" to build more taxpayers based rinks/facilities for management of same in the same for profit scheme.
Enough is enough and the rich corporation get richer on our backs.
This insanity has to stop.

Back to the original topic, congratulations to the Argos organization, the GC should be a major blow out. Oh and the CFL fans of the big smoke too.

Hey I found a leafs Donation(2M to hockey canada)

[url=http://www.mapleleafs.com/news/news.asp?story_id=2297]www.mapleleafs.com/news/news.asp?story_id=2297[/url] - 27 May 2007 http://www.markgrimes.ca/leafs_popup.html

“Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will pay to build all the internal structures needed for their teams such as dressing rooms, weight rooms, medical and training facilities. They will also pay what Hoskins calls “market rental rates” for the space and use of the ice.”
How much their putting in to the over 22M arena(complex) is unknown I thought it was decent(10-15M)

Oh come on Dmont that’s a little short.
you didn’t slide away from where you started enough onto another topic before reverting back. lol.

But true, the stadium plan is a good model, now hopefully they use it for say a new stadium in Regina, Calgary, Hamilton or in Winnipeg to make Asper pay his fair share.(+ transfer of ownership land and team)

…grab the calculator…put in “18 / 63.8”… you’ll get 28%… pretty close to 1/3.

If you want a stadium, you have two options. 1. public operation, or 2. private operation. Stadiums run publicly lose money, because bureaucrats don’t know how, bottom line. Look at Frank Claire, and Skydome for a while, they’re perfect examples. The goverment, and therefore taxpayers, end up losing $X thousand per year.

If the government keeps ownership and sells operating rights to a private company, then that private company pays the government $Y thousand per year for those rights. Why do you think Oshawa asked them to operate their arena?

So, instead of taxpayers LOSING $X thousand, they’re GAINING $Y thousand per year. lol argotom, MLSE’s doing you a favour and you don’t even know it!

Don't forget Dmont, Skydomes funding was stupid... so so stupid I, they may still be paying for it.

99 year exlusive marketing rights.. STUPID!

99 years for 5M at Skydome. haha.. so so stupid.