Greg Marshall"s Wrongful Dismissal

:x July 10 2006 My family and I who have been season ticket holders since Greg Marshall was hired and that being the reason we purchased them will not be renewing our season tickets and strongly urge anyone else who does not support the unjustified firing of Greg Marshall to do the same . The organization wants to send a message to everyone , here is my message , for those that think this was a scapegoat backboneless move how about not purchasing tickets for next season , I would do it immediately however I feel like I owe it to Coach Marshall to see how his legacy lives on for this season like he mentioned in his CH interview . Lets see what the braintrust all who have a hand in the operations and including the players can make of what is almost a full season and being that the Argos are only one game ahead of us. Let us see what " resources " Bob Young makes available to Lancaster and Katz , that wasn't there for Marshall.The following are some of my observations and reasoning why Greg Marshall should not have been fired. Let us see if time was needed for the offence to gel from having new a Quarterback and Runningbacks and a very different O-line who regardless of coaching should be able with all that beef move a defence back a yard on 3rd and 1 when you have a yard separation at the line of scrimmage. Maybe they should get the universal weight machine as coach to tell and show them how to push and win the war of the trenches , oh and it will also have to time and time again tell them the basic football 101 of don't take stupid penalties. Let us see what Off.Co. Joe Paopao brings to the table now since this highly regarded Off. genius so far has sputtered himself with the play calling and he wanted new faces to grasp at times complicated schemes or the give your head a shake plays that are called on occasion. What’s the deal with Chief Operating Officer / General Manager Rob Katz ? All the talk about Marshall coming from University going straight to the CFL and having no experience and thus being the major foul on him. What does or did Katz bring to the table ? By all accounts from looking at his bio on the team website it looks like he is a career Marketing and Advertising guy who should have just stepped in Bob Sauve's slipstream and continue with the community /Ticat relationship. You never know he just might end up there after this supporter and family decline to show up next season. The Defence was and still is a work in progress , yet again new or adjusted personnel that needed time but had its moments for all those minutes it was left on the field , maybe those brain cramp penalties and plays or lack of can be chalked up to the ineffectiveness of the before mentioned Offense and Coordinater. Special teams was not so special obviously . Kicker , Borham needs to talk to someone of the proffesional nature maybe Tony Sopranoes shrink and get back up on his feet , I'm sure his confidence went down knowing he was the one that had to produce points for the offence. As for Ron Lancaster he was a very good player , an average coach who yes led us to capture the Grey Cup but also led us to a 1 - 17 record , all this after he built up his team year after year and had much more time , support , resources and opportunities. How is it that he makes it past 5 games and gets to at least finish the season , and in a way gets promoted to senior director of football operations , I am not making Greg Marshall out to be a Saint , sure he made mistakes for which a lot of people are all over him for but there was alot working against a really good person who just ran out of time too soon while giving it his.

all I’m sure which is a lot more than can be said for a lot of people on and off the field in the Ticat organization . It is too bad that Bob Young who repeated he had support for and confidence in Greg Marshall in a few days can do a complete 180 degree turn and crack under pressure from within the organization , some fans and it seems the so-called unbiased media.

14-25-1.

1-17 with bankrupt oweners.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

see ya...

Grow up. This is professional sports.

A few months from now everyone will have forgotten Marshall.
He's going to get $150,000 this year and next year for doing nothing so don't feel too sorry for him.

My prediction is that next year the coach will be the other Greg Marshall.

Coaches are hired to be fired

Marshallfan wrote:
" that being the reason we purchased them will not be renewing our season tickets and strongly urge anyone else who does not support the unjustified firing of Greg Marshall to do the same ."

Nonsense.
Thanks for the support thus far but good riddance. You either support this team or you don't. Thick and thin. For better or worse. No conditions attached.
If everyone had this approach to the team there would be no-one left in the stands.
The team includes the fans.

All that in one paragraph!

Don't go away mad, . . . . . . .!

I like your support for Greg Marshall unfortunatly or fortunatly football like any other sport is a game of numbers and unfortunatly for Greg his losses outscored his wins in the two and quarter years he was coach. Greg Marshall was given a Golden opportunity, a chance in a life time to be a head coach in the CFL especially coming from McMaster and Western in the University ranks to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, he was supported by the fans, team, management and especially Bob Young, however I believe he needed to be more disciplanary with his players. Look at how long the stupid penilties have been going on and how long we gave Jamie Boreham to perform any other coach in the CFL would have made the changes long ago and placed a penilty on players taking stupid penilties or cheap shots that cost the team. 14 wins, 25 losses and 1 tie are not something to be proud of, but maybe Marshall's legacy will come if the player's he assisted Rob Katz in selecting this year start to perform and win, it won't bring Marshall back but at least he can say he contributed well to the team. A classy guy, I wish him all the best!!! Go Cats Go!!!!

Marshall: 17 out of his last 22 games were losses. In pro sports, we know what usually happens.

Anyway, something had to be done. The Cats brand has taken a beating. Fans from other cities - especially here in Montreal - look upon as the Hamilton organization as hapless losers who deserve sympathy/condolences, not respect.("God you guys are bad. But hey, I really hope you can scrape out 2 or 3 wins this year," and comments of that ilk.)

I'm guessing Cats fans from other cities have experienced the same kind of thing. Rather sad.

Marshall: 17 out of his last 22 games were losses. In pro sports, we know what usually happens.

Anyway, something had to be done. The Cats brand has taken a beating. Fans from other cities - especially here in Montreal - look upon as the Hamilton organization as hapless losers who deserve sympathy/condolences, not respect.("God you guys are bad. But hey, I really hope you can scrape out 2 or 3 wins this year," and comments of that ilk.)

I'm guessing Cats fans from other cities have experienced the same kind of thing. Rather sad.

Marshall fan are you _ _ _ _'n kidding me with that statement.You must be a relative of Marshalls,or you have no clue about sports.The message the organization is sending is we want to win.14-25 record is pathetic.You say he wasnt given resources to win,well we got a new quarterback,2 new runningbacks,a couple olineman,new receivers,a new OF cordinator,they brought back Mike Mcarthay to find us talent.What else did he need to win?The only thing we didnt buy him was the referees.For you to say Lancaster is an average coach is insulting to any football fan who truely knows football,he made Hamilton a winning team again in case you forgot we went to 2 greycups and won 1,just barely lost the other one.As for what has Rob Katz done for us,why dont you look at all the free agents he brought in here this year.When a team is always taking stupid penalties,its because they are not disciplined,which is the COACHES JOB.You abviously dont want to cheer for a winning football team,maybe your blind or just dont understand sports because when your team is 0-4 that is not a good thing.We are lucky the Argos have one only 1 game,because if they were playing to their potential we would be in a bigger hole.To say Jamie Boreham needs to talk to a shrink so he can get back on his feet is a joke because he never has been on his feet.The only one who supported him was Marshall.I agree Marshall is a very classy guy,but he couldnt win us games.14-25 is pathetic.If you decide not to renew your season tickets next year i say good,maybe someone who understands football will sit in your seat and chear for a winning team.Remember you need to win to make the playoffs.Maybe next time you post a thread you should read it over before posting it,because that is the most pathetic statement I have read on this site.

[quote=“ToddKing”]Marshall fan are you _ _ _ _ToddKing I didn’t say that he wasn’t given enough resources, if you have followed the situation the past few days and read the paper you would know that Bob Young made a statement about resources for Lancaster get it right. Lets see you discpline them King****, what would you do? Wasn’t Lancaster’s record average over his tenure, by the way I did aknowlege the Grey Cup win. Maybe you should do your research before opening up a big can of nothing!

someone please explain to me why eldman is still coaching. Now there is a guy who should have been gone after the 1-17 campaign

Look, we all wanted Marshall to do well. It was a major PR success when they hired him. Unfortunately he didn't get results on the field. The change needed to happen.

Well first of all anybody who takes a major penalty would be fined $250.00,repeat offenders will be benched for 1 game.Lancaster made this team a winner,he didnt have the money to spend like Marshall was given.Going to 2 greycups is not average.I dont believe Lancaster will need many resources,a good coach can make the team we have here right now winners,lessJamie Boreham.Your the one who opened a big can of nothing by saying Marshall was wrongfully dismissed.A 14-25 record over 3 seasons is cause for dismissal.Even if Lancasters record was average,what would you call Marshalls record.I call it your FIRED.

garthman......good post

Greg is a quality person, and a extremly knowledgable football coach. What he needs is a assistant job with a good mentor for a few years.
He just seemed unable to lay the law down and keep the players in line. That's the big difference from the college to the pros.
I'm sure he'll be a successful coach in the cfl.

You cannot compare Lancaster's 1-17 record with Greg's. Reason being, after he built a strong team, he wasn't able to resign any of the free agents. Seemed like everyone wanted to get out of Hamilton as fast as they could. Also, no one wanted to come here....the word was out.....we had no money.

Hang in there marshallfan, Bob Young gave Greg a chance when no one else would have. The caretaker promised to turn this thing around, and I support him 100%. :cowboy:

In pro sports, owners don't fire players. Owners fire coaches. It's that simple.