Green, Cox, Woods restructure deals

Several teams have had to restructure contracts this year. I think a big factor was the Cap going up 14% or whatever a year back…several really mismanaged distributing he extra 600k. And yes…you do see other pro teams restructure contracts. Peyton Manning took a 4 mil hit in restructuring for example. 6 months after he signed…no…but it happens.

It happens.
But Popp wears this big time.
Taman gets ripped when a new guy comes in to clean up the Sask mess.
Imagine the comments that would be made if a new guy had to come in and clean up this Popp caused mess.
The only guy scrutinizing Popps mess is Popp. No wonder he resisted bringing in a coach.

But as I stated earlier he did bring in some new unexpected and expensive talent this year which created some of this.

But you can see his panic last year to make the playoffs.

Comparing a league without guaranteed contracts (the CFL) to a league with guaranteed contracts (the NHL) is largely pointless -- apples and oranges. But even in a guaranteed-contract league, players are sometimes bought out, traded to get out from under salary, or released after signing a professional "try out" contract (happens more now in the NHL).

Just watch the NFL teams shedding players right now to open up cap space.

Exactly. This is really not a big deal.

Here Papa… read this, explains everything better than anyone of us could.

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/02/25/cfl-players-restructure-contracts/]http://3downnation.com/2016/02/25/cfl-p ... contracts/[/url]

^^^^^^^ This is a great read on how it is also in the players and teams best interests(moneywise) to restructure their contracts

It only works for import players,
Soon all imports will be on Minimum Contracts($52K) + Bonuses

That was an interesting read, for sure.

[url=http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/herb-zurkowsky-alouettes-prove-adept-in-art-of-deal-remaking]http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... l-remaking[/url]

Hopefully this puts to rest all the Als-bashing. Two of the three players actually came to Popp and requested the salary restructure to save money against taxes. The third, Woods, was just happy to be restructured instead of cut (because he's been injured a lot). And finally: "[T]his move shouldn’t be confused with last week’s release of non-import linebacker Henoc Muamba, just before he was due a $60,000 bonus payment. While Popp’s sanity seemed to be questioned at the time, he wasn’t willing to make a large lump-sum payment to a player who has had chronic knee issues, suffered a concussion after joining Montreal last season and, according to his agent, clearly wanted to work out for NFL teams."

Popp chose to release Henoc instead of taking a pair of late round picks. Could have tied him up but considering he could/would not honor the contract he chose not to take advantage of the situation.

If Popp was as much of a d i c k as Rider fans claim he is, players would not be sticking around.

Yes, and to that point:

“With the way the tax laws are set up, there’s ways we can actually get it to balance out and put more money in our pocket,? said Cox, who represents himself in contract negotiations. “If you can help the team and put more money in your pocket — or the same amount — why wouldn’t you?

“I don’t want to go anywhere. Jim knows that. It’s not worth my legacy to fight for a difference of $5,000. It’s not worth it.?

And:

Woods was the East Division’s outstanding defensive player in 2014, but has endured injury problems. Indeed, he played only two games last year before suffering a season-ending torn pectoral muscle. He feared he might never play again, so when Popp came to restructure his deal — and not release him — Woods said he didn’t hesitate, stating the deal was fair for both parties.

“Here they are again, showing faith in me,? he said. “I’ll tell you this — I complied and moved as quickly as possible. They’ve afforded my family an opportunity to have a life that’s been wonderful for us."

Yeah, sure, that evil Jim Popp! :smiley:

Well that will teach me to jump to wrong conclusions based on my suspicions of Popp.