Greatest Ticat ever?

rico cartwright.... i mean garney henley followed by ben zambiasi, earl winfield and bernie faloney.

Garney Henley for his 16 glorious years.

After a career of playing Safety,
returning punts and occasional WR,

in his last year, at 36 years of age,
he played full-time at Wide Receiver

and led the Ticats to the 1967 Grey Cup

AND WON the CFL's M.V.P. award.

Garney Henley could probably have been an all-star lineman if he wanted. (that is hyperbole, before I get outraged comments). Whatever position special occasions called for Henley was the man. To my mind John Barrow was also an outstanding player who was involved in the community. I wonder that no one has mentioned Joe Zuger. Came to be a punter and back-up quarterback and never left.

:))

The issue is “greatest” Ticat, Espo, not favourite. For me, Henley is the greatest Cat with his 11 all-Canadian seasons, his ironman excellence in all three phases of the game, and for his penchant as an Argo killer. :smiley:

For favourite Cat, mine was Garney until he retired. I loved Zambiasi for his intensity – he became my favourite as a teen. Rufus would be my number three.

Oski Wee Wee,

Garney than Barrow.

Earl Winfield (Praise Be His Name).

Garney Henley is untouchable as best Ticat ever.IMHO he has no equal.

Community service, though admirable, has nothing to do with the game itself, and nobody played it like Henley IMHO.

Distant seconds, Barrow, Mosca, Winfield, Montford and Sutherin.

who is chico cartwright?
why not eric carter then,ken hobart, ronnie glanton?
chico was just a # wasn't he?

city legend

1. Garney Henley
  2. Angelo Mosca
  3. John Barrow
  4. Ben Zambiasi
  5. Rocky DiPietro
  6. Rob Hitchcock

There is just no way that I could pick after reading all of the names mentioned.

However, I wold love to see this taken to the next level (maybe by the Ticat organization and TSN) and have this done on TSN. Of course that would mean seeing highlights of all these great Ticats (which is what I was really aiming for because without the Cats in the playoffs.....there's not much worth watching on TV).

Billy Dickens! :slight_smile:

Really good list. I’d move Barrow up to number 2, and I think Earl Winfield and Grover Covington need to be added, probably Ellison Kelly too.

Todd Dillion
Jamie Boreham
Damon Allen
Rocky Dipetro

There used to be a page on this site with clips of all the Wall of Honour players, who are basically the same lists as the players nominated here. I don’t know if it’s still in place. If not, it should be.

A month before the '72 Grey Cup, a freind of mine who worshiped Garney(I always loved the linebackers, Ben Z was and is worth a mention) called me and told me Henley was in his living room and for me to get there quick.

My freind had a horrible leg injury and was unable to leave the house. His father wrote him a letter,and he came 'round to say hi. Nothing fancy, just classy. Visiting a impressing a couple of boys that here was a real(humble) hero. Who knows how many stories are out there about this man. Like his book was titled, he is a "Gentleman and a Tiger".

Yes, Garney was (and is) the whole package. FYI :thup:

I was watching a wrestling dvd called"the most powerful familys in wrestling" and there is a match from starcade #1 where a young amazingly fit Angelo Mosca was the special ref.The match was The Briscos VS Steamboat and Youngblood.Man I still cant get how good Mosca looked in it!lol

The only reason I had Mosca ahead of Barrow was because he had a much higher community profile after his retirement than Barrow did after his. That’s the only reason…

And it's a very good reason.

I would go for Barrow because of his performance as a player. With 16 All-Star selections in 14 seasons, he was absolutely amazing on the field. Both great players, sequence just depends on what criteria you use. ]

Any way you slice it though, Garney Henley has to be at the top of the list-- there's never been anyone like him.

I had to get in on this one. My brother started taking me to the games in 1951. So I have to say that Ive seen a lot of the best from all teams. I too believe Garney Henley was the best. Could seem to be able to do it all. Very exciting to watch and the crowd would go nuts when he made a play. Run the length of the field on a play and make 12 guys look pretty foolish. John Barrow was as good a line man as youll ever see up here. I believe he could have made the NFL if he wanted. With the OL double teaming and triple teaming him, it left Mosca an awful lot of room to get to the backfield. He is only picked by some because he still has media coverage in the area. The hard part to get a real census on this issue, is because there are so many people who dont remember the older team players. Though he played most of his career in Montreal, remember the great great player Hal Paterson, Could he catch and block or what. Tobin Rote, Sam Etchevery. Normy Kwong, Billy Shipp (who was the first Heisman trophy winner to come to Canada it think), and who can forget Ralph Tohey who came off the bench to stop a Montreal runner from scoring. The point being, it is very hard to pick just one, but thats mine

Best player: Garney Henley
Greatest Tiger-Cat: Angelo Mosca.