Great moments in Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude: taking pleasure in someone else's misfortune.

I would much rather enjoy my own team's good fortunes ... but this season has forced me to derive pleasure from the misfortunes of our long-time tormenters. And what a great weekend for it! Recap:

• Edmonton is almost out of the playoffs - finally! - and we are the ones who are most responsible. To their fans who act like it's the end of the world, I say this: welcome to our world!

• The Great Don Matthews is in the middle of the longest losing streak of his coaching career. And guess the answer to this question: "Who has had the longest losing streak of 2006?" (hint: not Hamilton)

• The Great Wally Buono lost a game because he bet the farm on making a 55+ yard punt - on FIRST DOWN!

• The Great Dave Dickenson (aka "Winner of Nothing Significant in his Career") is once again falling out of favour due to the consistently superior performance of his backup.

• Ever since being declared by Canadian media to be the Greatest Athlete in the History of the World, Damon Allen has looked like a bumbling rookie.

• Razzle-Dazzle-Drop-Em has failed to impress in Winnipeg, and now some are saying that we won that trade. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 9-sun.html

We are not the only ones suffering!

Disclaimer: Yes, I am fully aware that this is not a classy post, and that it's better to celebrate the positives in life, and that we won our last game, and that all the teams I named still have more to celebrate than we do.

I had no idea what "Shadenfreude" was.

Nice post, no need to put a disclaimer on the post. There is nothing wrong IMO with telling it how you see it. You didn't wish injury or personally insult anybody, nothing at all wrong with the post to me and I agree in the pleasure of watching the "mighty" fall (esp Matthews)

Good post.

How amazing a difference a win streak makes and we put other teams issues into perspective. All of a sudden, we just look to be almost average compared to most (but not all) teams in the CFL.

P.S. I would love for Mathews to continue his losing streak but we need him to beat Winnipeg this weekend just for the fun of keeping our mathematical chance alive for another week. Of course, we also need to beat BC on Saturday...........

Unfortunately, most of today's humour and routine observations are nothing but shadenfreude.

Those are some interesting observations even if the reader doesn't take delight in the misfortunes of others.

I'm thinking we won the Maas trade too.