Government protection of the CFL

Why discussion? Because it's the right thing to do. Now maybe both sides agree to disagree at the end and you're in a battle but at least there was some discussion to try and figure things out to work together. Isn't that what separates humans from rocks?

Um… it’s what this entire thread is about. Hence its title.

I thought we were talking about discussion between the NFL and CFL. Wow

No what we are talking about is what I am allowed to buy in Canada. The fact that I can’t buy a foriegn product should be made strictly on its own merits not whether it will negatively impact Canadian buisness. I don’t believe in protectionism elsehere why must I accept it in the entertainment field.

Point well taken cats. Just don't come to me to complain that every magazine on the shelf is American talking about American things, shows on TV all American with American images, musicians with all American words in them, no reference to anything Canadian. Canada has a small population and we live beside a country 10 times our size. Should we help protect anything Canadian or give any help to starting out budding entertainers? Maybe not. But there is a price to pay of some sort or another for every action or non-action.

Protectionism for the cfl? not sure i agree with that considering how many american players we have so its really not even a truly canadian league. I dont see anything wrong with the nfl coming here for some games, heck, the cfl expanded into the states not too long ago didnt it? Not very nice of us to complain now.

The CFL didn't go into any market with an NFL team though.

And I don't think it's complaining here so much as to receive a little more respect from the NFL, that's all, even if they can do what they want with the power they have.

the cfl did fight to steal a copywrited name for a team though I think, or something like that with the colts and stallions thing.

I don’t complain. I vote with my wallet. If the Canadian product is better I buy it, if not I don’t

Amen Beetlejuice. The dumbest experiment in CFL history makes us morally bankrupt to ask for protection

no and I can put the reason down in 5 letters NAFTA

No, I will buy a magazine like Our Canada even though it's not a great magazine but because I can read stories about Canada and view photo's from Canadians. It's not nearly "as good" ie. thick no. pages, writing style etc. as many other magazines on the shelf that are American and cover just American stories. I want to learn more about Canada in this case.

Oh. My mistake. I thought you meant discussion here on this board.

In which case you feel its a better product, much the same way I'll stick to local radio rather than a syndicated network radio or satelitte radio. If however the local radio station fails ( I don't see that happening ) I'll adjust and not bother listening at all

A very good point.

The only argument that can be made is that it’s not strictly business. The buzz words being, culture, history and heritage. If the CFL is not any of those, then no, it does not deserve gov’t protection.

I, for one, view the CFL as something more than merely an entertainment product.

Even if it is the government has no buisness telling me what I cannot have

Yes cats, we will all survive, even if the border between the two countries ceases to exist. I agree. And life will go on. If that's what you want.

I think you two are smarter than to think that the CFL could ever harm the NFL finacially. It’s a ridiculoius notion.

A league that makes billions vs. a league that loses money.

Completely backwards.

1. They are not making you buy entertainment. You can purchase whatever you want.

2. Its like the government offering grants to those that purchase Hydrids or other ‘green’ goods. Some times the government should step in and protect certain things.

That is part of the gov’t function. It’s called law. It’s designed to protect society.