Gotta love the cable cam!

It adds a great perspective to the game!

It was also mildly amusing watching it zoom around at the stadium during breaks in the action. For the first quarter anyway.

Too bad it can't become a permanent fixture.

maybe the CFL can work that into thier next TV deal?

more money and cable cam at every game.

altho when its not used every game, it makes the grey cup more distinctive when watching on tv.

and i wish theyd get better camera angles during the player intros...why have the fire pyro when its not caught on camera?

same with the pyro during the lions celebration...there was confeti shooting everywhere and in the corner of the TV, i could see fireworks shooting off the stadium roof..why not pan back for a shot of that?...waste of pyro

I loved the cable cam during field goals especially. It's definately adds to the game.

I'd Like To See The Cable Cam Used Exclusively On Punt And Kickoffs, And Fallow The Ball Down Field Then Pass The Returner And Proceed To Fallow Him Up Field, If He's Able To Go Up Field.

It was great but expensive.

where did u read the cost of it?

Does add a nice extra touch to the game for sure.

[url=http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163976614363&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home]http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... &t=TS_Home[/url]

Capturing all of the big plays is pretty much a given, especially when you have 32 cameras like CBC did for yesterday's Grey Cup game.

CBC did that, for the most part, but what set the game production above the norm was the inside stuff those cameras captured.

It started early, just after the player introductions.

Not only did CBC capture the images of a B.C. Lion player exchanging some pre-game unpleasantries with several Montreal Alouettes but also picked up much of the sound, which was fortunately expletive-free.

It set the tone for the game, giving the viewer a taste of the emotion on the field.

Cameras also spotted a couple of faked injuries, too, which demonstrated the gamesmanship on the turf. On one, a feigned injury by a Montreal linebacker, was turned into a three-act play.

Cameras caught the player dropping to the turf, then showed the Alouette bench signalling for him to go down before B.C. coach Wally Buono was shown walking away in disgust.

In fact, CBC's only shortcoming came when Montreal running back Robert Edwards fumbled on the B.C. goal line late in the fourth quarter, ending the Als' comeback hopes.

All those cameras couldn't produce the definitive shot on whether the ball came loose before Edwards' knee hit the turf.

CBC announcers Mark Lee and Chris Walby disagreed with Montreal's decision to withdraw a challenge.

Lee felt it wasn't a fumble.

``You must challenge," said Walby, even though he believed the end-zone shot showed it was a fumble.

Lee reported a few plays later that the Montreal spotters had seen the replay and decided it wasn't worth challenging, though one has to wonder what replay they were watching.

Even CBC executive producer Trevor Pilling admitted CBC didn't get the definitive shot on that one.

It was definitely questionable," he said. But that's the nature of the game. You can have a million cameras and if enough bodies are in the way, you don't get the shot."

CBC's toys performed well. The CableCam provided some stunning shots, especially in showing how B.C. defenders Javier Glatt and Carl Kidd stopped Edwards. The ``Mic'd Up" segment produced some good examples of how emotional the teams were.

Sideline reporter Darren Flutie did a great job all day and produced some great stuff. He reported on how confused the Montreal offence was on the sidelines.

Walby had his typical game, giving some good insights while frustrating viewers with his strange metaphors and even stranger English.

On the positive side, he illustrated how B.C.'s receivers were negating Montreal's blitz and how the Alouettes got their offence going in the second half by using six receivers and forcing B.C. into man defence.

On the negative, he said B.C.'s defence was tossing aside blockers like yesterday's bad lunch," and summed up the game by saying, it culminates a great year by Dave Dickenson."

THE GOOD: The best part of the pre-game show was a feature on Rocket Ismail, 15 years after his spectacular punt return in Winnipeg. Ismail relived that great moment, as well as the frustration that ended his Argonaut career in the next season.

THE BAD: There was no doubt where the game was going to be decided, according to CBC. Montreal's Anthony Calvillo and B.C.'s Brent Johnson both told viewers ``the game will be decided in the trenches," a sentiment echoed by a Canadian soldier. Lee then asked Johnson again if the game would be decided in the trenches. Amazingly, he said it would. Then Lee and Walby offered in the second quarter that the game was being decided, yes, in the trenches.

THE UGLY: Super Bowl viewers wait with great anticipation for the innovative million-dollar commercials shown during the game. For the Grey Cup, we get those embarrassing Ben Johnson energy drink commercials.

...i really like the extra dimension and perspective this nifty camera brings to the game...it's great to get the angle that the viewer gets when the field goals leave the guys boot...and sails through the uprights (at least for McCallum)...would be nice if it was a permanent fixture.... :thup:

I loved that energy drink commercial. Freaking cheesy and hilarious.

I'm With You Arjoel, Those Commercial's Are Halarious. The Other One That Gets Me Going Is Pat Quinn's "I'm A Stripper" Commercial.

...a few years ago my son had his younger sister convinced the cable cam was a robotic referee that the NFL was testing out to one day get refs off the field and out of the players way....