Gotta Love Obie's Stand On Canadian Players

re ESPO-LOL- sbt -Canadian players are a different story, you can get away with having a slug here and there so long as they don't have to start, because they HAVE to be here as per the ratio ----------MY point is there are aprox 15 GOOD cis teams, so each has 2 good players on O and D, thats 30 players, then add another 20 good players from the other cis teams and Junior football, thats 50 Good prospects each year, average career length is say 5 years, im estimating there are enouph Non imports to have 12 starters per cfl team,- Unless there are BETTER imports to take their positions, which when signing undrafted(nfl) ncaa grads or nfl cuts is a crap shoot, and as mentioned us fans get to wach players learn the rules on the job,(and ncaa coaches to sometimes) wich is what hurts the cfl,s image. - If we dont build up the Nonimports whats the point? I agree with obie that Imports Better be better or why bring them here!

I agree with Obie too.

I agree with obie that Imports Better be better or why bring them here!
then why are we arguing? lol

c;mon, this is all i’m saying. Sometimes a canadian player that isn’t that great can keep playing just because he fills a NI spot on the roster, or was a high draft pick of the team or whatever reason it happens, it’s caused by lazy management, but happens. its understandable.

There’s absolutely no excuse for it in an american player

I think the "right" thing to do is to figure out who your best 7 non imports are, and then play them as starters. You then recruit the best 16 imports you can find in the other starter (remaining) positions. You do this because the Canadian talent pool is just not as deep as the American one. It is easier to find 16 starting imports than it is to find 7 starting non imports for that reason.

BTW I didn't make a math error. The QB position is neither an import or non import position.

re- You do this because the Canadian talent pool is just not as deep as the American one. It is easier to find 16 starting imports than it is to find 7 starting non imports for that reason-------------------------Is this fact or fiction ?when you take i too Account that All the top ncaa prospects are taken by the nfl?supposedly? did you ever here its the quality not the quantity?

Obie is starting to sound a lot like Roy Shivers to me. I think he doesn't understand the value of, or how to scout Canadian talent. I think with his attitude, we are going to continue to be a bad team.

I think with a name like maccat you're a little biased.

In all honesty American players or Candaian players at NCAA schools get MUCh better coaching and traiing than they would here.

MacCat, there is no attitude being displayed,
Obie just explained in a matter-of-fact way

how Wally Buono achieved success in Calgary
and in B.C. with the players that Obie
bird-dogged for him their 9 years together.

It’s about having a winning team.

It’s not about working in as many
Canadian starters as we possibly can.

Hopefully, the Canadians on our team
who lose out can start on another team.

and the Canadians we keep are
among the best in the CFL

Obie know teams need to have
the best Canadians to win

There are better trained players
in the U.S. and many more of them.

10 times as many top players

and 10 times as many
top football programs.

Why not take advantage of that
and start the maximum number of
U.S. players the CFL rules allow?

So the Canadian players Are to blame for the Ti cats record since 99? oh OK what B S to many trolls around here ? :roll: I'm sure one day they will accomplish their goal of a all American NFL feeder league, average attendance 10,000

After watching Obie's press introduction I don't think he was dissing Canadian players. I think he thought that maybe the Ticats weren't fielding their strongest team by starting Canadian rookies at DB and on the DL.
Was Marcel dictating who played and who didn't wanting to see what the rookies could do? We don't know for sure. With a three year contract maybe he thought he had the leeway to give these young guys the experience. Probably cost Hamilton a few wins in games that were close.
I would think Obie was thinking that maybe McKay at DE should have been the only Canadian starting on defense with the other six on offense.
I think eventually Hamilton will go with four Canadian O-Linemen, Lumsden and a Canadian Receiver on offense and McKay on defense. They could probably alternate Radelin and French as a eigth Canadian, depending on the circumstances, in case of injury. Then find some good imports to fill in the blanks and they're in business.
So, if Rambo and Obie can find the good imports that are out there and Printers can return to his BC form, this team can be turned around fairly quickly IMO.

Obie’s been around the CFL a long time - hopefully he’s learned to scout players from both NI and import talent pools equally well. Maybe his comments are being over-scrutinized here? Still - hope he doesn’t show a biased attitude like Shivers sure seemed to. ASSuming that your team can only find 7 NIs to start while at the same time believing that 17 imports deserve being handed starting jobs is plain moronic IMO - have real competition in TC and see what shakes out. The Ticats might be able to draft a couple of more gems or good prospects to go with their young NI talent now and maybe start well over 7 NIs; OR - maybe they find lots of great new import talent and only 7 NIs make the grade as starters - these things are best determined by real competition in TC and not the type of pompous, dumb attitude some posters here are demonstrating with their Canadian players are so inferior / American superstars are so plentiful thinking - crock of $h*t.

When Shivers was general manager, the Riders started 7 Canadians. They had a Canadian receiver who waited 3 years before he actually recorded a catch.

The Riders who won the Grey Cup this year started 9 Canadians.

I would hire Shivers in a blink of an eye as my director of American scouting, but I wouldn't hire him as my general manager. I would hire Obie as my director of American scouting in a blink of an eye, but if his attitude towards Canadians is the same as Shivers, I doubt we will be successful. I don't know is its Obie or Wally who deserves the credit for B.C.'s great Canadian talent. Lets hope its at least partially Obie, and we are misinterpreting his comments in this thread.

:thup:

CFL teams might be wise to hire some quality Canadian scouts who have knowledge of and respect for the Canadian/NI talent pool to balance all the Shivers types who get lots of say in the CFL. “Radically Canadian” my ar$e.

And Brent Johnson, Kelly Bates, Ryan Thelwell, Clermont, Brett Anderson, Lyle Green were recruited by that BC 06 GC winning team before Wally or Obie were there I believe.

So what your saying TC is that you don't want Obbie to bring in imports who are better than our Canadians? Give your head a shake cause you do not care about this team winning games so go and stick with watching MAC and bunk CIS football.

Well we know that it will be a busy free agent winter hunt$ :thup:

I Can see alot Players going bye bye.
Via Trade or Cut.
I See news ones comming in
Again Via Via Trade or Signing a FA

You need a course in remedial reading comprehension pal. You don’t have a clue what I’m saying.

OBie, just like any other CFL GM, scout or HC, should strive to bring in quality players, period; and not pencil in guys at certain positions or reserve specific positions for players based on their birth certificates and bias & favortism. Or maybe “fans” like you don’t believe Canadian players can compete for playing time at any or all positions.

Re Drexl, you shouldnt post until you develope a brain :oops:

TC, I never said they can't compete and neither did Obie. I just feel that there were 7 maybe 8 Canadians starting who were starting material while every game there were 2 guys who shall remain nameless who received playing time when they shouldn't even be in the league and won't be after Obie cuts them.

Your mama :lol: