GOODBYE BURKE!

The TSN commentators kept saying it was a good call because Goltz was going in cold. By taking the knee of course he stayed cold, and sure looked it in OT. One or two hail marys might have loosened him up at least; even an arm punt would do little harm at that point.

I don't like the way he keeps throwing his players under the bus but dosen't take responsiblity for his screw ups.

That’s what I think too. The thing is that yes, they needed to move the ball at the end of the 4th, and Goltz was going in cold. But it’s not like they needed to go 80 yards for the major. They needed to get in range to punt through the endzone.

Is there a risk of a pick that costs you the game? Sure. That risk also exists in OT. It’s not super likely, and by going for it you show your players you’re going to give them the chance to win it for you (and you show your fans that you’re aggressive, which helps sell tickets when you’re having a rough year, which I know all about from my time attending Renegades games). If you just don’t get enough yards and time runs out you still go to OT, and Goltz has at least thrown some passes.

Being conservative here doesn’t help you, because instead you hand the ball back to Edmonton and now your cold QB has to try to get a TD and a two point convert instead, which is certainly not easier than trying to get into punting range.

If the teams were reversed and it was Edmonton with the ball at the end of the game? For them going into OT makes more sense, because they were red hot at that point in the game. Winnipeg had a chance to win without giving Edmonton back the ball, and Burke didn’t take it.

So in this case I can’t agree with the TSN guys. IMO, it’s better to go for it. At that point, you can say that the players have to step up or it’s on them, because as a coach you gave them the ball and a chance to win the game.

He probably will be let go like most HC with his record but Mack gave him nothing to work with. I have no sympathy for Burke. He left Montreal for the same position because he felt Lapolice was more vulnerable than Trestman and then had a meeting of the long knives with Mack. Karma is a biatch :cowboy: I just hope for Winnipeg fans that Creehan is sent packing with him. Will be interesting if he loses his job to another “opportunist” of his ilk (Bellefeuille).

The whole going in cold argument is such BS. IIRC Goltz first got into the game before the drive Edmonton put together to tie the game. That would be the drive where he hit the turf on 2nd down early instead of fighting for the first down marker forcing the Bombers into a punt and giving the Esks the ball back for their game tying drive. They had all that time Edmonton was on the field, a TV timeout, and a kickoff to have him throwing on the sideline to warm up and have a coach talking to him. Who in their right minds believes that in that 5-10 minute span Goltz could not have gotten warm, and at the very least warm enough to throw a couple of mid to deep balls? They knew Hall wasn't going back. So how do you not prepare Goltz in case Edmonton ties or takes the lead and you get the ball back with some time left on the clock? What if Chambers doesn't drop the ball and Edmonton took the lead instead of tying the game? You don't have Goltz take a shot downfield because he's cold?

Bottom line the whole lose lose situation is a lousy cop out for Burke. You're at home trying to give your fans a reason to cheer for you. Every person is out of their seat cheering for you. Your strongest arm is on the field with 22 seconds left or whatever it was. Throw a deep ball to Kelly who's your tallest receiver. If worse case scenario it gets picked off then you took a shot and, barring a pick six, Edmonton has only 10-15 seconds to try get a point to win the game. Taking a knee there is like settling for a field goal on 3rd and goal from the 1. Best case scenario you get a catch or PI call that puts you in a position to win the game.

The real reason Burke had them take a knee - he had to have zero faith in Goltz to make a good decision and not make a mistake leading to an interception. Those last few seconds in the fourth were his only chance to get the win. How could he possibly think going into OT they could pull out a win against the Esks offense that had outscored his team 13-0 in the fourth quarter and was playing hot? Burke has solidified the argument as to why he should never be a head coach. And this one is not on Joe Mack or the players.

Would you have any faith in Goltz ? Had it failed and Winnipeg lost the game on an interception return single. He would still have been called out. You know that. Its one of those lose/lose situations. I've seen other coach make the same decision in the past. In fact I seem to recall Trestman doing that in a playoff game.

Don't even need to throw the ball deep, just dump it off two or three times (26 seconds is plenty of time) to the RB or slip screen to a wideout, something easy to complete. Try to get near midfield for a hail Mary attempt on the last play. If someone breaks a big run after the catch and gets into FG range even better, but keep the passes short and easy to complete (defense will be in prevent) so you don't turn it over and the clock keeps running with the completion. Throwing deep will be very difficult against a prevent (unless you're Balt vs Den last year) and might turn disastrous if the pass is picked off and run back a ways.

The bottom line is his reasoning of Goltz being cold is ridiculous. No successful head coach is going to pick going toe to toe in OT against a hot offense when your offense has been ice cold if you can help it. Trestman could do it because he had Calvillo which is a nice option to put up against any other QB in the league in OT.

Consider if they didn’t concede to force OT - Goltz has a chance to run a couple of passing plays, say he’s intercepted. After the game Burke says well we’re desperate for a win, we took our chance to try end it before OT because Edmonton was playing well on offense, unfortunately it didn’t end the way we would’ve liked. Which argument makes the most sense after a loss? Hint: fans know its not the one that guaranteed the esks offense the ball to secure the win. The fans are not naive and this is why the whole lose-lose argument is ridiculous. There will be a segment of fans who will disagree but most know what the situation is and would’ve respected him more for going after the win.

[i]Ok, Burke deserves to be blasted. But, let's us keep some hate for the nitwit bozo who destroyed the Bombers:

Joe Mack! His incompetence is legendary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Down with that JOKE Mack :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: [/i]

The problem started long before Mack arrived when those other idiots kept trading away draft picks, leaving the Bombers woefully inadequate in the non-import department. Mack then proceeded to make it even worse by drafting poorly and eschewing free agency. Mack did an awful job, no doubt, but he inherited a bad situation in the first place. You don’t go 23 years without a championship in an 8 team league without lots of help.

For sure. It goes a lot higher than football personnel. Taman is doing quite well in Saskatchewan with proper resources to support his efforts. That cheapskate Lyle Bauer who gutted football ops while paying himself top dollars is one. The politicking board members as well.

If he doesn’t have any faith in Goltz, why isn’t Boltus (the “number 2 QB” going into the game) on the field?

And if he didn’t have any faith in Goltz to move the ball far enough to punt for a single, why in the name of everything holy does he have enough faith in Goltz to think that he can beat Reily in an OT shootout? Because that’s what he actually did. He passed up a chance to win where Edmonton didn’t have the ball. Instead, he handed it back to Reily and said “we think we can beat you in a shootout.”

The best way to beat a hot offense is not to give the ball to them.

.....I don't care how you want to look at it, in the final analysis that last 23 seconds (or so) of the edm. game summed things up for me...Burke is lost at making sound decisions....a fatal flaw if you're the head honcho...The name of the game is winning not quitting...Bomber fans have seen an ugly side of the present coach, hence the roundhouse booing at the end of the game...That heckeling/booing was NOT directed at the players....In your court Miller/Walters....I think there'll be another housecleaning at the end of the year...Seems par for the course in the Peg and it will continue until management does a thorough and proper vetting of the next head coach candidates...Time to get it RIGHT guys...

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Goodbye Burke. Could be good bye for a lot more than that. Dencent read from Penton (did I just really type that?!)

[url]http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/09/25/the-stage-is-set-for-a-blue-bombers-exodus-after-this-season[/url]

Trade deadline is October 9. Might be time to see if any of the playoff bound teams might be interested in one or two of these guys that can be parlayed into something else.

I'm not sure about moving Henoc right now since that would put us in a bind with respect to NI starters. I supposed we could finish out the season with Labbe/Stephan at MLB, not that it sounds appealing. Don't get me wrong, I like Labbe, guy has a motor and never quits on a play but he is lacking somewhat in talent.

Matthews at this point, who cares. Hasn't been healthy, has been poor the few games he did play. Any NFL team would have to chance it based on his 2012 season and his 2013 season has hurt his contract leverage. Can't imagine he holds much trade value either.

Hall is the most interesting player. Having a great year, has had the issues with the offsides although that's been curtailed in recent weeks, and is playing out his option with the NFL in his sights. Add to that his reluctance to say he'd want to come back here if the NFL doesn't work out. All those make him an attractive player to move for a pick or maybe a player with potential to a team in the hunt for the cup.

Only way I would trade Henoc Muamba is if he's refusing to sign an extension. Any player who is not planning to come back or not interested in signing an extension aren't worth protecting and should be moved for anything of value.

They brought in Cauchy to try and convince Henoc to sign an extension but that didn’t work. At season’s end, Cauchy will be jettisoned and in all likelyhood, Henoc will be gone as well. Can’t say I blame him, might as well make as much as you can (especially in this league) and find a team that’s being run properly at the same time. It’s like killing two birds with one football.

Has Burke been HC for two seasons, flip, flip, yup, must be time for the annual Bomber Coaching change that takes place every two years.

I think before you hire a new Coach, you need to hire your full time GM, get him in place, let him choose HIS Head Coach. The revolving Coaching door in Winnipeg has got to stop. Get your stability top - down, not the other direction.

Burke’s made a strong case as to why he is ill-prepared to be a head coach. That began way back in week two of preseason when he left all the vets at home in bubble wrap instead of having getting them at least a quarter of work after they barely played in the first preseason game. And how did that work out? The offensive players didn’t know the offense as bad as it was. And it did absolutely nothing for the health as each QB has been dinged up, Edwards, Matthews, Poblah, Watson have all missed time, the Oline has been decimated by injuries, Simpson with an injured foot again.

Regardless it doesn’t matter what Burke does to finish off the year, even if he gets the Blue on a tear to end the season. His only chance at remaining HC is if Walters’ temporary head GM gig becomes full time. If they hire anyone else it’s a good bet they bring in their own coaching staff, not to mention the possibility that someone becomes a combo GM/HC. Even if Walters does become the full time GM he may want to just wipe the slate clean for 2014.

.....I'd hate to part ways with Henoc...his brother is another matter.....He hasn't looked good and he'll probably be sent packing for sure....I don't know if anyone would make a deal for him now....A club could use him for a playoff run but they're going to have to work a new contract and extension before they'd give you anything of value....Other option is to re-sign/extend him but it looks like he's not willing to stay at present...A good offer from the Bombers could change that and I think that will come at free agency time....There's only so much cash under the sms and it's the same for everyone...Priorities, like Henoc will certainly be addressed first BUT if someone else rolls in with a truck load of dough, he could be history in bluengold...In any event it's a long way off.... :roll: