Good to see the East has taken it up a notch

I don't follow all of the CFL teams as closely as I try to follow the Lions but it is great to see how most of the eastern teams have turned things around in the back half of the season. This is the way it should be. It looks like Crompton is a keeper for QB. I thought the Als handled Toronto quite well last game.

It looks like there will be a cross over this year and that it may well be the Lions. I'm not holding my breath hoping the Lions win both the Semi and Eastern Final. I think the Lions can be taken by Montreal, Hamilton or Toronto on any given day. The Lions are hurting, especially in offence. They will be playing with heart but that might not be enough to cut it.

How optimistic are you Als fans seeing the Als heading off to Lotusland at the end of November? Personally, I think the Als are beginning to peak and will be ready to take on any CFL team that comes knocking at the door.

I like the winning streak but we're not there. We essentially have one good unit (the defence), one Jekyll/Hyde barely passable unit (the offence), and one absolute gong show of a unit (ST, run by our illustrious head coach). Crompton has done some good things, but he has yet to play a full 60 minutes of football and at some point, the D is going to run out of gas. Given how the first half went, we should have buried Toronto in the second half but we didn't. The turnovers and Crompton's poor play let Toronto right back into the game. The season's almost over and our protection assignments for punting are still garbage. We still take a penalty every ST play. And if Crompton goes down, we have nobody to fill the gap with Smith's release. Brink is brutal and Marsh hasn't been trusted with more than the short-yardage package.

My take from your post is that if the penalty-fest is somehow contained - and this seems a relatively easy thing to do - and if Crompton stays healthy, the Als have an excellent chance.

ST are actually doing pretty well, if yesterday’s 3rd quarter is any indication: 2 punts in within the opponent’s 10 yard line resulting in a field goal, wow this is unheard of.

Sure, Compton was on and off. Contrast this to Ray (yes, Ricky Ray!), who was just off.

Why do you think it’s easy? We have THREE games left to play in the regular season and Higgins hasn’t been able to get a handle on the penalties at all.

and if Crompton stays healthy, the Als have an excellent chance.
Not sure how you read that from my post. Crompton staying healthy is certainly a prerequisite for us to have any chance of succeeding, but it's not a guarantee.

ST are actually doing pretty well, if yesterday’s 3rd quarter is any indication: 2 punts in within the opponent’s 10 yard line resulting in a field goal, wow this is unheard of.

Sure, Compton was on and off. Contrast this to Ray (yes, Ricky Ray!), who was just off.
Sure, let's compare Jonathan F. Crompton to future Hall of Famer Ricky Ray, MOP candidate this year with three Grey Cup rings and probably the only QB who has a shot at breaking any of AC's records. Based on one game. That's productive.

Nice to see you visiting our house :thup: This team will go as far as its championship defense will take them. It really comes down to how healthy they can stay through this grueling round robin tournament. We lost 3 players on defense last night… As for the Lions. Glenn has played some of his best games against MOntreal and they will compete but I’d much rather the Als get the bye and meet them or the Ontario team at home in Montreal in the Eastern Final. If Montreal stays healthy and gets the bye. I think they have a good shot at showing up in BC in November but a LOT has to go right.

Ray wasn’t off IMO. The Als defense did fantastic work of taking his windows out, he saw the plays there was just nobody open and they really got in Owen’s head who was trying to put on a show for his mama and his wife :wink:

I don’t know if you were around when Ray broke into the league but he looked a lot like Crompton… He won ugly and often and just got better.

I was around, and sure, he was a raw talent … but he was also in his early '20s and even then, he had better touch on the deep balls than Crompton has shown.

As for AlsPhil’s point about punting, that’s to Whyte’s credit and has nothing to do with Higgins. I give Sean full props for upping his punting game but we’re still a mess of penalties, poor blocking, and big errors on special teams and that’s 100% on Higgins.

Ray’s deep corner and post routes are legendary but Crompton also has some skills that are better than Ray. HIs ability to look downfield while buying time is better than Ray’s, he also has better lower body strenhgt (probably more durable). IMO what Crompton needs to do to get better is control his emotions better. You saw Garcia yesterday trying to reign him in telling him there were more drives to put together. He needs to pay better attention to what is happening around him when his defense is on the field and use that time to acquire as much information as he can. I like the enthousiasm but I’d like to see more of a “silent killer instinct” between drives…

I agree Whyte and Green were the difference maker yesterday and that has nothing to do with Higgins ST coaching aside from providing a calm and positive environment for Whyte. I did notice at half time that Higgins was livid with his ST play and he let his staff know.

True, but he also has serious deficiencies in his game that need fixing. He can’t or won’t throw to the flats and his passes are all fastballs with very little touch on them. Ray might not have the lower-body strength or the escapability but he was able to throw to all nine zones pretty much the moment he came into the league.

IMO what Crompton needs to do to get better is control his emotions better. You saw Garcia yesterday trying to reign him in telling him there were more drives to put together. He needs to pay better attention to what is happening around him when his defense is on the field and use that time to acquire as much information as he can. I like the enthousiasm but I'd like to see more of a "silent killer instinct" between drives...
Agreed. That's something you can coach and I hope he settles down and learns to put in the work, just like Calvillo did.

If he settles down, it will improve his touch on the ball and allow him to see things out there he's not seeing now. When he gets overexcited his game goes to sheeyt. There were a number of throws he trashed yesterday because of that. The corner throw to Green when Black subbed in at corner. The short throw to Sutton in the flats, the fumble on his 16 yard run come to mind.

Those 3 mistakes represent at least 10 points. Green was a TD and the fumble was in field goal range.

You immediately bench the guy who takes a penalty for at least a quarter, and make a public display of it. Anyone can do that, ie no particular skills or knowledge required, that’s what I mean by easy. Best to do that before the playoffs, next game against the poor Redblacks would be a perfect opportunity.

and if Crompton stays healthy, the Als have an excellent chance.
Not sure how you read that from my post. Crompton staying healthy is certainly a prerequisite for us to have any chance of succeeding, but it's not a guarantee.
That's why I said the Als have a CHANCE.
Sure, let's compare Jonathan F. Crompton to future Hall of Famer Ricky Ray, MOP candidate this year with three Grey Cup rings and probably the only QB who has a shot at breaking any of AC's records. Based on one game. That's productive.
It doesn't make much sense to compare them based on previous years and teams. But based on the way the eastern division teams are currently playing, Crompton is doing well.

But if it’s that easy, why hasn’t Higgins done it yet? It’s pointless to talk about a problem being easy to solve in the abstract if the guy in charge of solving it can’t or won’t take the necessary steps.

No, you said "excellent chance." Not the same thing at all. Sure, we have a chance. Any team has a chance. But an excellent chance? Not really.
It doesn't make much sense to compare them based on previous years and teams. But based on the way the eastern division teams are currently playing, Crompton is doing well.
Again, not really, because both Ray and Collaros have had games this year where they have been very on. High completion percentage, total game, 300 yards, etc. Crompton has yet to put together such a game. And keep in mind that Ray doesn't have a defence of our caliber to bail him out at every mistake, nor has he had the benefit of relative health that we've had on offence (Toronto has had a crazy number of receivers and RBs injured).

No idea why not, however the fact remains it’s much easier to instill some form of discipline than to establish functional offensive and defensive game plans.

No, you said "excellent chance." Not the same thing at all. Sure, we have a chance. Any team has a chance. But an excellent chance? Not really.
Now we're splitting hairs.

No, we’re not. If you think “have a chance” and “have an excellent chance” are close enough to be the same thing, you are not communicating properly.

To be clear, I think that there is a difference between an excellent chance and a guarantee.

Pour ma part, lorsqu’on affront Toronto, j’aime autant que les Alouettes collectionnent les punitions pour ne pas avoir accordé l’immunité que de donner l’occasion à Owens de traverser le terrain.

Ce que j’accepte moins, ce sont les punitions pour les blocs illégaux lorsque nous recevons les bottés.

Mais je ne vais pas trop blâmer les Alouettes de gagner même avec cette attaque qui a encore à évoluer en constance. La première chose que je veux, c’est que l’équipe gagne. La deuxième chose que je veux, c’est qu’elle s’améliore. C’est ce qui arrive présentement.

Crompton n’est ni le prochain Calvillo, ni le prochain Ricky Ray. Mais pour un quart qui a si peu de football professionnel dans le corps, il se débrouille pas si mal. Oui, il a le luxe d’avoir une défensive en feu pour l’aider. Est-ce qu’on peut reprocher aux Alouettes d’avoir une défensive en feu? Il apprend dans des conditions imparfaites (pas de coordonnateur à l’attaque digne de ce nom, une attaque qu’il a fallu rebâtir et qui est des mois en arrière des autres équipes), mais il apprend et il progresse, probablement grâce au fait qu’il a une défensive qui peut lui donner les répit dont il a besoin pour le faire. Il a une bonne présence au sein de l’équipe et ça se sent. Ce n’est pas le show de Jonathan Crompton. C’est la partie des Alouettes et des Alouettes au complet.

J’aime mieux une équipe qui a appris de nouvelles façons de gagner qu’une équipe qui a inventé de nouvelles façons de perdre. C’est la différence entre les Alouetes 2014 avec Smith des Alouettes 2014 avec Crompton. Lorsque les Alouettes auront un nouveau Calvillo dans leurs rangs, j’en serai le premier heureux. Pour l’instant, Crompton fait ce qu’il faut pour gagner et c’est la première chose qui compte.

Pour revenir au thème de la rubrique, c’est peut-être une bonne chose de voir l’Est reprendre du poil de la bête, mais les succès des équipes de l’Est ont concordé avec une avalanche de blessures dans l’Ouest. Je demeure sceptique sur la force réelle des équipes de l’Est et c’est dans les éliminatoires que le tout se confirmera.

Les probabilités sont que les Lions seront partie des éliminatoires de l’Est. Ils ont eu une saison en dents de scie avec Glenn aux commandes, ce qui est un peu surprenant compte tenu de la qualité des joueurs qu’ils alignaient à l’attaque. C’est donc probablement la ligne offensive qui a connu plus de ratés que nécessaire (je n’ai pas pu suivre les autres équipes de la LCF parce que Bell a rendu les parties non disponibles sur Internet aux non-abonnés de Bell ou Rogers) et la perte simultanée de Harris, Logan et Brown n’a certainement pas aidé. Aussi, même si les Lions ont la meilleure défensive de la ligue, ils peuvent être battus par une équipe qui a une solide défensive comme les Alouettes.

I`m not ready to give up on Dinwiddie or see him go to another team. When Popp promoted him from QC to QB coach, he emphasized that he was a bright up and coming coach, and I will trust Popp on that.

While it was too soon for him to be an offensive co-ordinator, after the growing pains he and the team went through, there is no reason to cast him aside. I am sure he has learned things from Schonert and Garcia. And Ill go so far as to say that for a rookie he hasnt necessarily been worse than veteran co-ordinators Bellefeuille in Winn. and Gibson in Ott.

Perhaps we can have co-offensive co-ordinators as we have had in the past.

LeStaf, je suis curieux, qu’est ce qui te fait dire ça? Tu n’es pas le seul à le dire, alors j’aimerais comprendre la motivation.

De mon côté, je ne vois comment on peut savoir d’avance si un joueur va progresser et de combien: Si on regarde le début de la carrière d’Anthony Cavillo, aurait-il été possible de savoir s’il allait devenir un succès ou pas?