Good Luck Salt Lake City

The Arizona Coyotes will soon be in a coma (Alex Meruelo apparently will retain copyright to the team name & logo, and a five-year window for an expansion team if he can secure an acceptable arena).

For all the criticism Bettman has taken over the years (really just fronting for the Board of Governors, and well-paid to do so) the issues with the Coyotes have largely been ownership/arena rather than necessarily a fanbase problem … I can understand why the Board of Governors (and their TV partners) want the 6th largest city/10th largest metropolitan area in the league … and if Meruelo bows out, I could see the NHL accepting expansion bids from other owners, but being very cautious about who they might accept as an owner and ensuring arena concerns are firmly resolved.

Salt Lake City will be the city with the lowest population in the NHl (2022 estimate 205K), but with a metropolitan area of 1.27M (50% greater than that of Winnipeg or Quebec City). Their ownership also has a pro-sports track record … it will be interesting to see how aggressive the ???s are over the summer … they have a projected $40M in cap space for 24/25 (up to $47M if they spend to the ceiling and LTIR Shea Weber), with 14 current roster players signed (only Kerffot and Bjugstad, both pending July 1, 2025 UFAs, will be 30 or older) … and they have the opportunity to completely rebuild their defence corps (5 RFAs and 2 UFAs).

3 Likes

The NHL will be back in Arizona. It’s the last biggest existing market left with Houston, not to have an NHL team

1 Like

Yost posts on why the NHL will work here.

To me it all boils down to Ryan Smith owning the building (and owning or operating the new one).

The Coyotes never controlled a building they played in, even dating back to the Winnipeg days.

3 Likes

SLC has more than enough deposits it would appear, even though New Jersey had some 30,000 deposits prior to getting their team and for many years didn’t come close to selling out.

The Delta arena was built and configured for basketball and currently has only 12,000 unobstructed seats for hockey. Apparently renovations will bring that total up to 17,000 but it doesn’t say when that will occur. I am a little confused because I have read many times in the last year that if the Coyotes moved to SLC the Delta arena would be scrapped for a new venue built with the use of both teams in mind. In any event, it appears that the unnamed team (they have confirmed they will be named Utah _______ and not SLC _______) will be playing in front of some 12,000 fans only next year until renovations or a new arena happens. Small steps.

2 Likes

For these Coyotes to be back in Arizona, I will take the under; however, conceivably some new investors could come along in 2029 and either buy off or wait out Meruelo and then capture the market on their own terms after dropping him off in the desert at night after a celebratory night of hard drinking and fun.

Here’s a great recap from 10 months ago of the entire team history and on why I will stick with the under bet, as in under the desert for the prospects for Meruelo along with the copyright and logo heading quickly in the direction of zero for their valuation.

2 Likes

Not certain a “visit to the desert” will be necessary … Meruelo *** MAY *** just decide he is happy to get out of it with black-ink on his ledger rather than red … and a new ownership group might not even want to be saddled with the Coyotes legacy.

2 Likes

Will be interesting what the team is eventually called, probably Utah something or other. How about the Utah Relocated Coyotes?

Utah Neutered Coyotes?

2 Likes

To bad Grizzlies can’t be used

I like the Utah Yeti

3 Likes

The Utah Decafs

2 Likes

Utah Morrmons

2 Likes

I love the NHL logic, we have to have a team in Phoenix because it’s a large city. Why don’t you put a team in Mexico City, there’s 25 million people there, oh ya, that’s ridiculous because nobody cares about hockey, just like Phoenix, without the expats living there you couldn’t fill a phonebooth with fans.

3 Likes

I-M-O the problems with Pheonix/Arizona were never the market … it was ownership and arenas/arena-location.

3 Likes

Utah U Taw a Puddy Tat

2 Likes

I don’t buy that, if you’re a fan you will make the effort to get to a game or games and unless the building is unsafe that’s another bogus excuse. I had Oiler tickets when Pocklington owned the team and there were some people that said they would never go to a game as long as he was the owner. Well, after he sold the team they still didn’t go. Excuses, excuses!

1 Like

:bellhop_bell: We have a winner! :bellhop_bell:

1 Like

The best one I have heard is the

Utah Latter Day Skates

but it won’t work because that’s too long to put on a jersey though they could abbreviate LDS, but then that has other meanings in slang, so I’m going to have to say no, thanks for playing, please try again.

So my other idea for this team is the

Utah Shoots
(rhymes with one tribe of the indigenous peoples, the Utes, and the name of the teams of the University of Utah)

2 Likes

I say and as others have said, fans don’t win games or trophies or championships, all that is on a trophy win is the team and their players and maybe the coaches whatever, that being said why are even coaches needed? No, a team is a team, the team needs nothing to win a championship or trophy and well down the line on this is fans. A team needs no coaches or fans other than the players. Just as some people go to court without a lawyer, as we know.

What professional leagues are trying to say nowadays is that sports teams, professional especially but also with higher level amateur athletics ie NCAA is you need fans to survive your “championship” or “trophy”. Complete f bs as far as I’m concerned. All you need is players to compete, that is all, everything else is gravy to make money off the players and the “system” to make “you” think that fans, coaches etc. are needed. They are not needed, we used to have sandlot games and “who wins” in our neighbourhood as kids, it was just us kids in the neighbourhood knowing “who won”. That is what a trophy and championship is about IMHO.

Bottom line fans, your name doesn’t get on the trophy, only the team does and in some cases all the names do as they should on a trophy.
Fans, sorry to say this but you are nothings when it all comes down to the bottom line on a winning team. Watch your money, fans. Be careful that you don’t feel you are being used. Hey, if you’re happy you spent thousands for season tickets for your team than tanked and was dysfunctional, best to you, and go for it! You have my blessings, but not my money. Believe me, I will never spend a dime again on a pro ticket for a game, but I will go if a company pays my ticket and my parking and some goodies… :slight_smile: Then it’s “game on” and “show me what you got”… :rofl:

Wasn’t suggesting that fans didn’t go to games because they didn’t like ownership, but that ownership did not do a good job running the team or securing an appropriate arena … we can agree to disagree about the arena issues impact on attendance.

1 Like

How bout the Utah Kintomes?
IMG_8986

3 Likes