Goltz named STARTER for the rest of season

Bob Irving just tweeted that Goltz is named starter for the rest of the season, Buck to be No.2 guy and help the O-Coordinator develop young QB's.

[url=http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Goltz-named-Bombers-starting-quarterback-Buck-to-take-backup-role--217941351.html]http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 41351.html[/url]
WINNIPEG — Same people but new titles this week for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Head coach Tim Burke announced this morning before practice at Investors Group Field that Justin Goltz is the team’s new starting quarterback and that veteran Buck Pierce will now be relegated to a back-up/mentoring role with the team.

"From this point forward, going forward, Justin Goltz will be our starting quarterback," Burke told reporters at Investors Group Field. "Buck will transition into a backup role and also assist (offensive co-ordinator) Gary Crowton in the development of our younger quarterbacks.

"You might ask the reason why. We just feel like we have a desire and need to develop the quaterbacks for the future of the organization. And also we want to have continuity with our offence and we feel like Justin will give us a better chance for week-in, week-out continuity."

…Well the inevitable has happened…Buck may only be third string shortly and in an advisory capacity…According to Burke today he will be mentoring the qbs. and I believe he’ll be eventually eased out of the qb. rotation…Bout time… :expressionless:

What they should have done at training camp IMO, but better late than never. Good to see the org has finally realized that Pierce too fragile to be a starting QB...

Seems like the right decision. How is Buck going to take it? He didn't exactly sound happy about not playing last week.

I hope Winnipeg fans are appreciative of Pierce's efforts to the town and team. Some fans can be very harsh on players who in their eyes "fail"

I wish Buck well. He gave it everything to the town and team. None of this was because of lack of effort. I hope he transitions well.

But at least a definitive decision (hopefully) has been made.

Hopefully Calgary follows suit with Tate.

Sounds like a good move I would say.

with Glenn or Mitchell as the #1?

IMO, Mitchell deserves at least a few more starts this season after compiling an already extraordinary:

78.3% completion rate
5 TD's
0 INT
11% TD conversion rate
142.0 QB rating

thus far..

Amen

I'm sure they are. Winnipeg loves Buck the person. Buck the starter, not so much...

Bucks body let him down, his spirit kept him going. :thup:

You have to wonder how much the play of the young backups in the last couple weeks had influence on this decision. At some point you have to invest in the future :thup:

From CFL.ca:

One game is apparently all Tim Burke needed to see from Justin Goltz.

Thursday, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced that Goltz, 25, will be the team's starting quarterback for the remainder of the season. Incumbent Buck Pierce has been moved to No. 3 on the depth chart behind Max Hall and will assist offensive coordinator Gary Crowton in developing the young quarterbacks.

The announcement comes less than a week after Goltz made his first career start, a loss to the Calgary Stampeders that saw him throw for 194 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Pierce was sidelined with an abdominal injury that he suffered in Week 4.

CFL.ca columnist Bob Irving was at Bombers practice when Burke made the announcement.

Irving tweeted:
Burke says Buck took the news well, but he's not sure how he really felt deep inside.

Agreed.

Post practice Buck interview says he wasn't told anything about mentoring QBs and is not a happy man/QB, will be supportive but at one point suggested he may finish elsewhere.

do you realize how similar those are to Tate's numbers? They are all slightly higher, but also all aided by playing against a secondary that everyone has carved up lately.

think Buck's just speaking out of frustration but if he wants out, he won't be missed. I thought he was a good teammate but if he can't see the reality of this situation then he SHOULD go. just too bad we would then have no experience at all at QB... but that's better than a distraction.

this is the best move the Bomber organization has made in a long time. this is how you develop a young QB - send a message that you believe in him, he's your guy and you'll stick with him through some rough patches. not by taking away his job every time your mediocre veteran is healthy again..

Finish elsewhere? Where does he think he could go?

Tsn.ca elaborates:

"He (Pierce) was great," Burke said when asked of Pierce's reaction to his demotion. "He wants to help this team win."

Goltz drew his first CFL start last week, finishing 19-of-35 passing for 194 yards with two TDs and an interception in a 37-24 loss to Calgary. Winnipeg is 1-4 this season and visits the B.C. Lions on Monday.

Burke said no decision has been made yet whether Pierce or Hall will become No. 2 quarterback.

"I will say we feel Max Hall has developed as well, we think he's come a long way since joining the organization," Burke said. "We'll see where it goes from here."

AND STARTING AT QUARTERBACK FOR YOUR REDBLACKS!!! LADIES AND GENTLEMAN.....LETS HAVE A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR BUCKIE PIERCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY,HOOOOOOOORRRRAYYYY.....ooops!!!! looks like Buckie tripped over his shoelace running onto the feild,OUCH!!!!!!!!! Thats got to hurt.........looks serious,here comes the stretcher......LOOKS LIKE BUCKIES HURT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a tough break for the CHECKERBOARDS!!!!! :roll: :wink: :twisted:

I don't blame them for the move, but why proclaim the rest of the season...if he plays 6 games and does little, then change it up...but that is just semantics I suppose

Is it safe to buy a Goltz jersey yet....