Golf season 2024

As the new golf season starts this week and is back to a calendar year based season for the first time since 2024, I thought I would start an annual thread relating to all things golf.

As most of you know we have been been mixing in regular golf discussion with the politics of golf in the PGA vs LIV thread for about 18 months. That thread will remain open for that kind of discussion but this thread is meant to be more for the actual players and tournaments whether that be PGA, LPGA, LIV, Canadian Tour or any other kind of golf.

That doesn’t mean there can be no mention of PGA vs LIV on this thread, but I am thinking it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to on course play and the players on all tours as much as possible. I am not sure what is happening with the self imposed December 31st deadliine for LIV and the PGA to conclude their talks on their “agreement” or “merger”, but it does appear that any meaningful merger won’t take place until at least 2025. That is unfortunate for the entire game as PGA Tour events and the majors will have weakened fields as a result and there will be no event that truly represents the best golfers the world has to offer, including the President’s Cup to be played in Montreal this fall. That is a shame for all golf fans.

Nevertheless, focussing on the upcoming season from a PGA Tour perspective below is a short video clip.

2 Likes

A written summary highlighting some of the expected changes for 2024.

A look at the past year for Canadian Corey Conners and what he is looking to achieve in 2024.

The top 25 PGA Tour players ranked. Note that this is for that tour only and doesn’t include LIV golfers.

1 Like

:canada:
Adam Hadwin off to a good start in the final round
4 under for the first 6 holes

Make that 5 under thru 7

Make that 6 under at the turn
Tied 4th on the tournament

2 Likes

Hadwin finished Tied 14th for the tournament
Took home $320,250 and 113 FedEx points

Mac Hughes T25, $170,750 and 68 FedEx points

Plus all expenses 3 week paid trip to Hawaii in January

2 Likes

Tiger Woods splits with Nike after 27 years

3 Likes

Yeah that was expected as he stopped wearing their stuff or reduced the stuff he wore some time ago. McIlroy was with them a long time too.

Curiously, maybe a decade or so ago, Nike stopped making golf clubs and balls and carried on making only clothing for golf, which changed their relationship with their pros.

1 Like

Will never forget the tin can sound of the Nike Sasquatch driver… Never played it but knew people that did.

1 Like

Top Canadians at the Sony Open in Hawaii this weekend

Nick Taylor, T 7th, -14
cashed a cheque for $ 260,758 (85 fedex points)

Taylor Pendrith, T 10th, -13
$209,575 (70 fedex points)

3 Likes

Ben Silverman also did well and finished T 18th. For some reason they don’t show him as a Canadian on most leaderboards that show Canadians. He was as high as T4 in the third round.

2 Likes

Ben Silverman (-11) cashed a cheque for $106,102 and got 44 FedEx points

3 Likes

This week’s summary as to what is on tap in the world of golf across the tours. Brooke Henderson getting set to defend a tournament title. Jon Rahm unable to. This week’s PGA tournament has a strong field despite not being an enhanced tournament, or whatever they are calling it.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah this came up a few months ago on the LIV thread. We wondered whether the Masters would honour his lifetime invitation and it appears they will. I thought they might want to avoid the negative publicity. He’s 54 and hasn’t played in years and will probably shoot about 90.

1 Like

There was a time many years ago when I loathed the Old Guard at the Masters as overly stuffy for modern golf.

That’s changed in recent years such that I appreciate the Old Guard at Augusta National taking the lead for the best of golf whatever the antics of the PGA and LIV and the Saudi investors.

Now that is not to say I think highly of Cabrera, which I don’t, but he’s done his time and should play as he had earned to do in the past before his criminal troubles. Now onto getting that visa.

2 Likes

A story and update on Canada’s Nick Taylor, reigning Canadian Open champion.

I’d give my first born to shoot 90 at Augusta. Lol.

I had the pleasure of playing Hamilton G and CC a week before the Canadian open (grandstands and all). I shot 100, I cheated with lies, and couldn’t find my ball in the ankle long rough (the rough was longer than it was for the Open cause the PGA cuts it down).

2 Likes

Adam Hadwin drains a 24 foot birdie putt to finish T4th after shooting back to back 65’s in American Express tournament in California yesterday and today!

2 Likes

61 for Sam Burns today :fire: