Golden Gate Group no better than Dangleo

I thought they signed an agreement not to disclose any part of their business plan until after the team is purchased? They’re puling a Dangleo. What gives?

Same old. Promise big deliver little, be sneaky about it. As soon as one problem is cleaned up another arrives.

Can’t they find one honest credible interested party who wants to purchase this team who plays by the book? Is it too much to ask?

This group doesn’t sound any better than Mr. Dangelo. Ottawa seems to attract problems with ownership.

why is this not in one of the existing threads aout the bid?

Golden Gate didn't make any comment about it. Ottawa Citizen contacted Hunt and he acknoweledged that they had approached him about position a while back.

Tonight, Ottawa Sun broke it that Hunt has agreed to join the GG group and be Team president if their bid is successful.

Tomorrow is deadline for all proposals.

As for confidentiality agreement, that applies to the groups and the bidding process--- not to who they might be thinking of hiring.

If this is the process they are going thru we will be talking about another failure in Ottawas a few years down the road. I have said it many times, but community ownership is the way to go in Ottawa, because it can work. One only has to look at Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg to see how they have turned finances around or have been successful over the years. Yes , Sask has had some close calls, but just about every team in the league at some point has had those same issues. The CFL seems to be stonger than it has ever been over the past 30 or so years, so I would say that community ownership should be a cosideration in Ottawa.

on the other hand, look at montreal, hamilton, BC, calgary and toronto...they are all doing well

He’s connected to the guy who is putting out a bid to purchase the team and is doing the very thing dangelo did. Hes going on about the marketing before the team has been purchased and after a confidentiality agreement has been signed to keep this matter quiet. This is even worse and sneakier than dangelo. if gangelo did this would be all over the news and it should be.

Tigerwon, in todays day and age of the Internet and instant media, it's sort of tough to keep anything under a lid for much more than a second or two, don't you think?

[b]Hunt opens Golden Gate

67's owner has agreement in principle to run CFL team if Toronto firm lands franchise[/b]

By CHRIS STEVENSON -- Ottawa Sun

Jeff Hunt moved his 67's junior hockey operation into the offices vacated by the CFL's late Renegades last week.

Talk about foreshadowing.

Hunt agreed yesterday to ally with Golden Gate Capital, a Toronto-based financial services company, to bid for another CFL franchise for Ottawa.

"It's almost like it was pre-ordained," he said of how things have turned out in light of last week's move. "I'm going to put my hat in the ring with these guys and see where it goes. We've got an agreement in principle and I'm excited about it. I think there are a lot of great synergies (between a football team and the hockey club). I'm trying to contain my enthusiasm.

"I've been doing this for nine years now and by no means am I bored," he added, "but not everybody gets an opportunity to do something this special. This is an opportunity to impact the landscape of the city in a profound way."

Today is the deadline for interested parties to communicate to the CFL their intent to bid for a franchise for Ottawa.

Last spring, in another sad chapter for the CFL in this city, the Renegades franchise was suspended after former owner Bernie Glieberman refused to keep underwriting unlimited losses.

In addition to Golden Gate Capital, it's anticipated there will also be bids from ubiquitous beverage entrepreneur Frank D'Angelo and another from a group of 8-10 investors fronted by former CFLer Bill Palmer, father of NFL quarterback Jesse Palmer of Ottawa.

Hunt's presence gives the Golden Gate bid star power in this town and a huge advantage if you were going to handicap the field.

WOULD BE A COUP

One of the critical elements which has been missing from previous CFL regimes here has been strong local representation. Hunt, given his success in building the 67's into a junior hockey juggernaut, gives the Golden Gate bid instant credibility in the community.

It should also be regarded as a coup by the CFL governors who will decide if a team should return to the nation's capital and if so, who should own it.

Hunt said his agreement in principle with Golden Gate will give him complete control over the business operations of the football team if Golden Gate is successful in acquiring a franchise.

Not that it was an easy decision for the 42-year-old, self-made millionaire.

He said he agonized over the decision to work with Golden Gate on the weighty task of resurrecting the CFL here.

"I was worried sick about spreading myself too thin and taking away my attention and time from the 67's," he said yesterday from Toronto where he was attending Ontario Hockey League meetings. "If there's one thing I've learned is sports is a volatile business. One year you're on top of the world and the next you're on the way down. Taking my eye off the puck to put it on the ball, so to speak, was one of my major hesitations. I know if we get a franchise it's going to be a lot of work, but I am going to be diligent the 67's don't miss a beat. To be successful in football, but have the hockey team suffer wouldn't put me any further ahead."

In the end, the chance to leverage the combined weight of two significant sports properties in this city -- and make the CFL a successful story for the first time in 25 years -- made the deal intriguing to Hunt.

"This could be beneficial to the 67's on the sponsorship side. There were sponsors the Renegades had that the 67's didn't and sponsors the 67's had the Renegades didn't. This will open the door to make a deal for two properties, the ultimate sports package ... we're hoping one plus one will equal three."

Hunt already has a front office staff of 22 working at the 67's offices, a number that already rivals some CFL operations (the Renegades listed 11 administrative people in their media guide for the 2005 season, including Lonie Glieberman as president and John Lisowski as CEO).

"We'll have to ramp up and hire additional people, but it's going to be literally like a turnkey operation," said Hunt.

One CFL source said league governors, if they are going to come back into Ottawa again, are intent on doing it right.

There have already been rumours associating former Renegades GM Eric Tillman with the Golden Gate bid.

"The buzz words this time are 'character, commitment and financial stability' when it comes to an owner,'" said one league insider.

The league, meanwhile, is apparently making plans for an expansion draft which will better equip this Ottawa franchise to be more competitive than in 2002 when the Renegades made their debut.

"They want to make sure they do it right this time. They want to give a franchise in Ottawa every chance to be successful," said one insider.

Hunt made the decision yesterday he wants that chance if Golden Gate gets the nod from the league.

"Will we sell out every game and win the Grey Cup the first year? No," he said, "but will it be better than it has been? Definitely."

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Ottawa/2006/08/11/1744958-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 8-sun.html[/url]

Yes, but private onwership has failed miserably in Ottawa. The fact is Ottawa would have folded prior to the start of the 05 season if the Gliebermans didnt step up to the plate and take over the team. Private ownership is not working in the nation’s capital, that’s why I believe community ownership is the right way to go.

You know why the team failed the first and second time?

Crappy owners. Chen didn't care..

And the owners for the Renegades did not do their homework! They made crappy hiring decisions and their marketing did not even include the French population in Hull!

Hunt is going to include the French demographic in their marketing plan! They need to do a better job of promoting the team in the community!

Community ownership won't work here. It was tried from 88-91 and failed. Then the Gliebs came in. For whatever reason, those in the city don't want to own sports teams --- except for Hunt.

Where the owner lives or works is not so much the deal as it is who in the admin side has local ties/conection and knows the marketplace.

Both Als and Habs are owned by Americans, Melynk owns Sens, Cgy had Feterik, Argos have had Belgian beer compnay, Harry Ornest, McNall and Schwarz; BC has Braley.

The bids aren't considering the Renegade name, and that's making me nervios.

Hopefully the league might step in and work out a deal to keep the Renegade name.