Godwin's Law

Thought I'd check back in on the Forum.

Same People Fighting

Some New Clowns

So, basically I've missed nothing.

KEY POINT:

How can we make this better? I'd like to be part of the solution.

Stick to the issues. No name calling. Respect opposing opinions.

FenderGuy,
You cannot name a thread after an obscure Internet reference and not explain your reference. I had to look it up on Wikipedia, so for all the rest of us:
"Godwin's Law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies)[1][2] is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]—? that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism."
I had heard of a more useful version of this relating to Internet debates that simply says:
"whoever invokes a comparison to Hitler first, loses." But I did not know it was called Goodwin's.

FG69, Thank you for posting
IMHO, moderating is the main problem, There are absolutely no consequences to poor ettiquette on this site.
I have seen so many outstanding regular posters leave because of abusive behavior, it is really unacceptable.
Eventually the abusive people get bored and go, but every time this abuse is allowed to continue, we seem to lose more regular posters!
This forum should be filled with Team and League information, a bunch of fun and everything TiCats.
Joking around is one thing and certainly encouraged, abuse is much differant and should not be tolerated.
It is unfortunate that a few abusive people are allowed to have a negative impact on the best CFL forum.

X2

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

I've tried in the past to propose that this forum has its very own version of Godwin's law: whenever we release a player or talk about doing so, eventually someone makes a Calvillo reference, implying that said player has a chance to become the next AC. But such references seem to have declined in recent seasons, either because we are winning now or because we don't have to watch AC play every week.

“Ticats.ca Survivor.” Give us a chance to vote someone off the island.

I’m actually serious about this. In cases where there are multiple breaches of forum rules, warnings are disregarded, and there’s a consensus in the community that the individual is unredeemable, I think the needs of the many to enjoy polite discussion about football should outweigh the needs of the few to insult them and break rules.

:thup: :thup: :rockin:

Agree that abusers need to be gone but how do you enforce it.? The abusive poster will just created a new profile and keep doing what they do... belittle, name call, post ignorant comments, etc. Brave when their true identity is hidden.
We need to totally ignore these people then when we don't react they may go away. A few already have.

X3

I was actually told by one of the Moderators that they feel that "the less moderation the better". I have to vehemently disagree with him, as this board is becoming a very abusive place to discuss all things Tiger-Cats. ESPECIALLY when fans of other teams come in to troll our board immediately after a tough loss. AND THIS "MOST ESTEEMED MODERATOR GIVES THEM A FREE PASS!!!

Now we have members posting hate speech, we have bigoted members complaining about another person who can only post in our Nation's other Official Language (who thoughtfully provides a link for translation), and the personal insults and attacks abound.

I am beginning to believe that they don't care about this board any more. @Lennywasout, it actually is quite easy to enforce the abusers - first you warn, then you ban for a period, then you permanently ban. You can enforce this by email and IP blocking, as well as relying on the vigilance of fellow board members reporting repeat offenders. The thing is, the Moderators actually have to LISTEN and ACT on those complaints, and not just "sweep it under the rug"...

That sounds like something Hitler would do! :lol:

C'mon guys it's a tough world out there in cyberspace suck it up. I haven't found anything offensive; childish or ignorant yes, offensive no. No ones earned banishment. Theres plenty of good discourse here just ignore the banal and asinine!

Calling someone an asshat is offensive. This same person is the most childish and ignorant of all posters on this forum. Hard to ignore when he/she posts on every single thread created. Getting real tiring for a lot of us. Sucking the joy out of even reading threads.

Check out the CFL chat page.

I guess the question is, why have rules:

[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24112]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24112[/url]

if they aren't enforced?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

And i apologized to you for posting it.

Safe to say youd vote me off?

There are no penalties shown in the Rules thread, so it would be hard to know how a Mod would react to breaking any rules. It would be up to the Mods and not Lennywasout to decide the penalty in any case. I'm sure they would look at the type of offence and the poster's history regarding following rules before making their decision. That of course assumes that they actually try to enforce the rules and impose penalties. Everything I have seen in this regard leads me to believe they don't.

Perhaps they are not properly staffed to do a proper job? I don't know, but if that were the case I would be willing to offer my services gratis - anything to improve the user experience would have a positive effect.

:cowboy:

I nominate Mike as Mod :thup: :rockin: :rockin:

I tend to agree with this. Freedom, in any form, can be messy, uncomfortable and scary. But in order to be truly free we have to respect the freedom of others even if it goes completely against our sensibilities.

Political correctness is a subtle, silent erosion of our freedom that slowly robs us all of liberty; death by a thousand cuts style.

Completely agree. Offensive speech is the speech in need of protecting.