Goal Post Questions

Since this started in another thread let's continue it.

When was the last time the goal posts were torn down in celebration in Civic Stadium?

I have a goal post question.

If the goal post had not knocked down Fajardo’s pass in last year’s Western Final, would we have won the Grey Cup?

better yet, why didnt the post intercept the pass?

1 Like

If a goal post falls down in the football stadium and no one is there to see it, did it really fall down

1 Like

Did it fall down due to Covid 19?

2 Likes

Damned goalposts. You are always against our team. Blah blah blah. :woozy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :football: :mask:

I remember as a kid, carrying one of the posts home (Hamilton Mountain) with a friend, after the 1962 Eastern final. It laid in my backyard for just short of 50 years.

2 Likes

I was at that game too. I took home a 1 foot black and gold painted length of a splinter from the post. Some time in the following 5 years it disappeared from my basement stuff collection.

1 Like

Goal post question: In the days when fans had the option to walk away with the goal posts, did teams keep replacements in stock, or did they have to send away for them?

1 Like

Love it! Did it just eventually rot away?

1 Like

Now you're not even allowed to climb them during the game as some fans have found out. :smile:

1 Like

Pretty much !

The black and gold colours faded after a few years, and then the wood just rotted out.
I ended up sawing it into four or five pieces and took them to the dump.

1 Like

I think maybe the light tower that fell was from back in the Civic days, wasn't it? It must have been old.

The light tower fell in the late stages of the life of Ivor Wynne Stadium. The stadium has not been called Civic Stadium since the 1960's.

Actually fans weren't legally climbing them back then. They got away with it because the mob chaos overwhelmed the security at the end of the games. There was quite an episode a few years back when a Ti-Cat fan dangerously climbed an upright almost to the top, with the police helplessly standing by until the fan came down after about 10 -15 minutes. I've heard that since that incident the uprights are greased at times to eliminate the ability to climb them.

But to keep continuity a giant speaker fell from a tower before the new stadium officially opened!

The south stands were mostly original from civic. Only the north stands were 100% new IIRC.

Don't know if people are aware of it or not, but an uncle that worked for the city told me: The team installed new wooden goalposts at the beginning of each season, and for 3-4 years, the city put the posts from the previous year up at Montgomery Park, down near the traffic circle at Main and Kenilworth. That used to be where the East Hamilton Tiger-Cats (minor football) practiced, and it was one of the locations where the league played games. The city took them down every fall after the league was done.

One year, right before the end of the season, friends of mine that lived down there and I tore one down and took the pieces home; I had an upright and part of the crossbar...mine didn't last 50 years, Tom...my Mom made me get rid of it after a couple...she never was THAT BIG a fan!

1 Like

Actually, CFLfan, the South stands were from a 1959 rebuild; the North stand was built for the 1971 season.

History of Civic/Ivor Wynne Stadium

1 Like

Neat story... great memory

1 Like