Goal is to make Referee Calls: "Walk and Talk"

5 Likes

But I certainly hope they don't get too lackadaisical and go to untucked shirts, no belt for the trousers, loose trousers, soiled or torn clothes (during the game perfectly okay, if not also commendable, if having to rough it up to make the right call of course), backwards ball caps, et cetera for the referees.

And ONLY if they answer ā€˜noā€™ to both questions are they considered prime CFL reffing material.

1 Like

I not only disagree, but pursuant to my recommendation above, I also would add the question ā€œCan you walk and eat a snack at the same time?ā€ and expect a ā€œyesā€ for the answer as well.

1 Like

If you ask a CFL ref if he or she ā€œCan you walk and eat a snack at the same time?ā€ You might see heads explode. It could get messy.

Iā€™d bring in a drop sheet or two.

1 Like

It sounds like you better make three runs through the drive-through line on the way - one after the other too.

1 Like

You make me laugh. I had the opportunity to sign my mortgage with a lawyer years ago with Maple Trust. Because there wasnā€™t any office here they picked a lawyer, Bud Steen. Most fun i ever had signing papers. He could walk talk signal a penalty and tell a joke and break up a fight all at the same time.

I give most of them props for doing a (mostly) thankless job. But in modern day we should have these guys at practice games at camps. There is no substitute for live action and it would help them get ā€œup to speedā€ after the off season.

4 Likes

Let's give credit where credit is due. The CFL officials don't undergo the same scrutiny as do NFL refs for "competence" and "ability", we all know that, but we should also recognize they aren't paid nearly what the NFL officials are paid. That's a given. I don't think anyone here or anywhere would challenge this statement.

2 Likes

I am sure you are correct and would be interested to know what officials in both leagues are paid. I remember that years ago many NFL referees were quite wealthy and captains of industry. I expect that has changed with expansion, but I donā€™t know how much.

1 Like

Iā€™ve bumped into a few refs over the years and mostly itā€™s a labour of loveā€¦ for those who have a thick skin. :grin:

2 Likes

They also need a thick skin in order to repel foreign objects thrown their way in the event they make an unpopular call againsā€™t the home team where the fans often become somewhat upset. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This. Keep the clock running at all times barring injury, timeout, or commercial break. Donā€™t wait until the ball is spotted. Clock runs. Make it 30 seconds or even 40 seconds if you want to emulate the NFL completely. But that sense of urgency will get the play moving.

Increase the number of timeouts per team to 3 and axe the time stops in the last three minutes.

Thatā€™s all we need to speed up the game. It would encourage teams to run tempo offenses.

1 Like

Totally agree. That is exactly what I was trying to say. The CFL takes 40 seconds between plays most of the time anyway, sometimes longer. For those averse to anything NFL I have suggested using their timing rules but with a 30 second play clock to make our game faster. Even a 40 second clock would be an improvement. The 3 timeouts and ditching the basketball like play stoppages in the last 3 minutes would also speed up play and make the endings more exciting and less artificial. We need to have more thrilling endings with the clock running like the NFL and NHL and get away from the current NBA type endings.

2 Likes

Just for a scream, Iā€™d like to see your ā€œKeep the clock running at all times barring injury, timeout, or commercial breakā€ idea tried in at least ONE preseason game.

If a non-stop clock makes the game more enjoyable to watch then Iā€™m all in. If all it does is shorten the game then IMHO weā€™re no further ahead.

2 Likes

It wonā€™t shorten the game if the clock is 30 seconds under NFL clock start rules and it will get rid of the current dead time between plays.

2 Likes

Agreed 100%. I think the NBA endings work for them due to the nature of basketball as a sport. There is so much scoring and it is comparatively easy to score quickly, so even 1.2 seconds left on the clock puts the game in reach. So the game is exciting when stopping the clock and/or drawing a foul is part of an overall strategy. In pro football, by contrast, it is harder to score. You donā€™t see games of 110-107. And 1.2 seconds means the game is over unless youā€™re in field goal range or in the red zone. Yes, I know we can all point to one instance or another where a team made a miracle TD Hail Mary pass in the final second of the game across the length of the field (Stegallā€™s miracle TD is the one I remember), but those moments are few and far between. The exciting part of football is when a team can drive across the field in 30 seconds using a tempo offense to get into FG or TD range. Thatā€™s what I want more of.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the old saying, watch the last 5 minutes of a basketball game and youā€™ve watched the whole game for all intents and purposes. Not always of course but often.

3 Likes

So 55-60 plays a game like the NFL vs the 150ish we get now?

If you are referencing this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1786937-is-this-the-most-explosive-era-of-offense-in-nfl-history.amp.html

The 50 to 60 plays are offensive plays per team. In 2022 it seems the average was 66 per team or 132 for the game.

The 150ish of the CFL is the total number of times the ball us put into ply by both teamsā€¦ the difference is much closer.

4 Likes

Get referees who can walk and talk and eat an occasional light snack as they do their jobs too.

Perhaps adjust the time clock between plays yet the game clock stops like now at change of possession or ball out of bounds or inside three minutes.

I do not favour sweeping changes except for perhaps good ideas to speed things up between offensive plays and make sure the referees have the pep in their step to keep up.

Also there should be weight gain caps for referees during the season.

You don't get to start the season as a referee then snack away and then we are treated to a stuffed zebra presentation in the last few games because you don't get to ask for a new, larger uniform either. We're on a budget here.