Go Canada!

Actually, not new at all. Had to change login name a few times. Just don’t post very often. Play in the VGCC, though!

But that’s not true, our women picked up a bronze medal in swimming last night. We have some great athletes on the track including Degrasse, also in gymastics, cycling. The womens soccer team is looking good, the rugby team too, beach vollyball, rowing.
We have some great athletes that are competing at the world level.

What I have noticed is that most of our athletes come out of the NCAA. All of the women on the national soccer team are out of the NCAA system and only one currently playing in Canada.

SO, after one day and one bronze medal you are disappointed. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I don’t know, but, don’t you think you should wait until the end of the games to declare your disappointment???

If you had read the early posts, you would have noticed 3 things.

1 . I was talking about 2012. Canada had won 1 Gold medal compared to the USA 46.

1. I did mention that although I do not care about or follow Olympics, Christine Sinclair is the best female soccer player in the world. IMO of all time.

2. I was talking about the single athlete sports. Not the team sports.
    In these we do not do as well as the Americans or Europeans.

Even though I do not follow the Olympics, I do not expect Canada to get as many Gold as the others.
It would just be nice not to be embarrassed with 1 Gold.

I don't care about the Summer Olympics. I'll be glad when it is over.

I find myself getting into a bit - since the Jays are getting killed.

I just watched the Canadian Women's Rugby 7's beat France. The Canadian men's volleyball team is up 2 sets to zip on the Americans right now too. Awesome volleyball!

:rockin:

Woohoo! Just beat the Americans in men's volleyball in three straight sets. Big upset! Great to see the Brazilian crowd going nuts for Canada.

What you can always count on in this world… People love us and hate the Americans.

And probably the first time ever that ‘Volleyball’ has trended # 1 in Canada on Twitter - which it is doing right now. :slight_smile:

Let me know when the women are playing.

Canada is and always has been a winter sport nation first, and the olympics prove it.

Canada has never won more than a handful of medals in the summers olympics, but in winter we are a top 3 nation in gold and overall medal wins. The drastic contrast proves my point for me. Our winter athletes still benefit from the 1988 Calgary olympic buildings and complexes, but our summer athletes have no such infrastructure, other than maybe the pool @ the Big O.

:thup:

It is hoped some of the facilities that were built in Southern Ontario for the Pan Am Games will help a bit with our summer sports. Things like the Velodrome in Milton, the Aquatics Centre at Scarborough Campus at U of T, the High Performance Centre at York. More details here - http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1415027261444

This was a neat moment for one of our bronze medal winning swimmers.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/CBCOlympics/videos/845363678928381/]https://www.facebook.com/CBCOlympics/vi ... 678928381/[/url]

Woohoo! A silver in the pool in the Womens 100 Butterfly. Penny Oleksiak (who won a bronze in the relay last night).

Canada's first female individual swimming medal in 20 years! Double medal winner and she is only 16!

Yessss! Penny O. takes silver in the 100 Butterfly. No one was gonna beat that Swedish goddess - as she pulled away from a good field. But Penny ran roughshod on the rest of the field - she was just under a second short of the Swede.

Oleksiak won bronze in the relay last night and now silver tonite. She gonna be tired going thru the gauntlet of CBC interviewers - and having to get up early to get a rub from Ron McLean.

Isn’t York where the new track and field stadium was built also? I also just thought of the stadium in Moncton, which is a track and field venue, but is it accessible to Canadian olympic and other national athletes?

The Williams Brothers get carved up in straight sets in the women's tennis doubles - after Venus gets dumped in singles. Now, only Serena remains in singles play.

The Joker, Novak Djokovic (the greatest tennis player in the world) gets dumped in the first round. Too bad Giant Raonic copped out of playing in Zika De Janero - he would definitely had a medal chance - Popsicle doesn't have a chance!

Mens 4 rowing just got hammered a few minutes ago in the repissage, finishing 4th or 5th when they had to get Top 2 in the second chance event. The Canadian announcers had them in a real battle for second but that was just homerism at its finest - the men were pretty much out of it at the 3/4 mark - but the announcers tried to keep them in the game.

Maybe shoulda had Buck Martinez doing his awful announcing. GET OUTTA THERE!!!!

Pospisil - a.k.a. Popsicle - already lost in the first round to Monfils (the guy who eliminated Raonic in Toronto). Popsicle and the ageless wonder Daniel Nestor are in doubles.

And it was clear just how much not winning at the Olympics meant to Djokovic. He was in tears leaving the court last night.

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-3728808/Novak-Djokovic-tears-losing-Juan-Martin-del-Potro-Rio-2016-Olympic-Games.html]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis ... Games.html[/url]

If Joker didn't want to go out in tears he shoulda played like it. He's been shaky last 2 or 3 events and now going out in the first round.

However, Olympic Tennis not like a usual Canadian open or Wimbledon, etc. where you usually draw a hobo in the first round (ie. a qualifier or a very low-ranked player)

At the Olympics you can easily draw a monster in the early going - and Joker did exactly that.