Glode and mail article

Sent letter to globe and mail about their article on CFL teams and no vlaue and other bad things. It makes me soo made that after teh amazing season the media still focuses on the bad. When will they see that the fans and readers want respectable articles no bull ??? just makes me made everybody should write the globe and mail and tell them off we need to stand up for our league. The no mind idiots in the toronto media need to change or leave.
Here is what I wrote.

In your recent article I’m very displeased with your counting negative outlook on the CFL. You failed to mention about how corporate sponsorship is up ten fold over the last your and TV rates where the best ever and team sponsorship is at all time levels. You continue to bash the CFL. With the season around the corner I should be reading how the Argos has sold more season tickets then last year and how the teams are preparing fro the first game of the season. For this reason I will never support your paper and will go out of my way to tell others of my displacement. There are many people like myself who do not appreciate this kind of article in your paper. You are professionals report news not backwards views of the CFL. Just because the league was in trouble 10 years ago does not mean you can continue year after year of this poor reporting.
I do hope other CFL fans write you and agree with me, but many more will know of this continue slander of the CFL.

What's was negative in the article ? If i may ask...

here is the website to see the article

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050611.wxcflvalue11/BNStory/Sports/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ry/Sports/[/url]

If it does not work you can do to www.theglobeandmail.com and go to the sports section.

Well like you post above, not a lot of positive for the CFL in the article. There's some well place low blow like

"But at least in Eastern Canada, CFL teams are regarded almost as community projects. It's almost like supporting the United Way. "

That one is a jewell :mrgreen:

Typical of the Globe and Mail, But I never read that paper anyways, and when I get a freebie delivered, I put it where it belongs.....At the bottom of the budgie cage!

Well, I agree that this article is negative but lets look at this from another perspective. First, the Globe is looking to sell papers and get people all worked up, like other papers and with no hockey and baseball close to mid season, and who cares about basketball, they have to write something controversial. So why not about the CFL. The CFL gets all sorts of people worked up all over the country, for various reasons. I mean, who in their right mind would think that a country like Canada, a hockey driven country, would have a professional football league that has survived as long as it has, even if the survival has been sketchy at times. I personally find it unbelievable the CFL has survived in Canada, but am darn glad it has. So with the game in Halifax and people talking about expanding to 10 teams, really, it is only prudent that people wanting to invest in the league see if it can be profitable. The CFL is a very, very interesting commodity. Kind of like buying a stock that is very low, probably won't return big, but has a very interesting possible future that even with one or two good moves, could make some very nice money.

Consider this scenario, the CFL expands to one of New York City or Philly or Chicago, sports crazed northern cities in the US, with one well-heeled owner willing to take a risk, and this would be a small risk if he or she is well-heeled. And if successful, bang, all of a sudden, other well-heeled Americans want in. Guess what? That's right, the teams values go up, especially if this person gets a local tv contract. That is why the NHL would rather go to Nashville rather than Hamilton. The potential is greater.

And I think the above will happen, our game is just too exciting to be just a Canadian thing and as long as it is just Canadian, it will be undervalued. This is why the Gliebermans wanted back in, these guys are not stupid and know the CFL is perhaps one or two moves away from something that will make the people in Halifax or Quebec City wish they wanted in a few years ago.

I am a season ticket hold for the Cats and love the CFL but I predict the CFL will not survive as a professional league on the up and up if it does not expand to the US, in at least one large American market. I also believe that this will happen at some point, probably sooner than later.

And although I hate to admit it, the Globe article, while negative, is dead on. The CFL must take a bold step to go to the next level and what a great time to do it now that the league is on somewhat of an upswing. We all know it's great entertainment and so do Americans like the Gliebermans. Keep watching, I think something big is going to happen to the CFL soon and to do this, we need the Americans on board, plain and simple.

Bad article.

The thing that bugs me about the anti-CFL mentality is the fact that most of the people who bash the CFL because it's just a small Canadian league are the same people who wanted the Flames to win the Stanley Cup last year because they think the Cup deserves to be with a small-market Canadian team.

Does anyone else see the hypocrisy?

You are right EskJebus but lets face facts, this is the Canadian way, many of us want our cake and eat it too, if this is the expression. The CFL is something many Canadian hockey people want but know they can't have if the NHL is to be regarded as serious. They want a Canadian only and run league but know they can't have it. Which is why there are so many CFL bashers, they can't seem to get serious about the CFL in its current form. Fortunately many of us can but the CFL, like Canada, is not on some island and can't stand still if they want to be seen as a league on the up and up, with lots of people wanting in to invest in the league. The CFL is getting bigger and as such, needs more American involvement. Or, the CFL could go smaller and allow cities in Canada with stadiums that hold 10,000 in and have a nice small salary cap of about $500,000 per team. But this is not going to happen, the CFL wants to get bigger, belive me, and they need to do what other leagues, like lacrosse have done, and get Americans on board.

This article, even though we may not like the tone and what is said, is dead on and should be a wake up call for the CFL to expand to the US, one large market. I love Halifax, but Halifax is going to do nothing to generate more revenue for the league. What I say is try and get a 10th Canadian team with the carrot that the CFL is going to get bigger with a US team, and then go after that team quickly and efficiently and do it. Otherwise, if I was an investor in Halifax or Quebec City or whereever, I would say forget it.

Great idea.......write a letter.............I will.

This article doesn't take into account our countries population compared with that of the U.S.

The U.S. has 10 times Canada's.

It doesn't even mention THE former EXPOS,GRIZZLES......or how much money the BLUE JAYS loose every year............and it doesn't mention the RAPTORS........
or ANY the the NHL teams value now ,with the strike.........again, one standard for the CFL and one standard for all other PRO leagues. :roll:

The future of the CFL lies into a small and slow expansion into Canada. Maybe one or two team in far future from northern USA might be add. But to bet on USA teams to save the league would be a mistake. The Americans will never see the CFL as a legit league, forget that. The CFL must kept on its current path, cooperate with the NFL but dont play on the big boy market.

UglyandHasty, I don't see it as playing on the big boys turf if the CFL and NFL agree that it is best for the CFL to be in a large American market to keep the CFL growing and helping to make the owners in the CFL make money. If the NFL did not agree on this, then I think the NFL should invest a bit more in the CFL with marketing and such as North American football is really only played in North American, outside of NFL Europe, and I don't think the NFL wants to see the CFL lose money.
But, even if the NFL disagreed, what are they going to do? I don't see them expanding into Canada in the near future at all, they have bigger problems like getting a team into LA and keeping their small market teams like Buffalo competetive. One reason why Toronto will never get a team as long as Buffalo has a team, I think at least a quarter of Rich Stadium is filled with Torontonians and southern Ontarians for Bills games and Ralph Wilson needs these people to keep the Bills successful.

We agree on this. The NFL should back up the CFL and helping it improve all around. A flourishing CFL is only good for the NFL. But think as a NFL management person. Would you like to see a CFL team into an american major city, or would you rather keep the CFL a smaller league, where you can let player develop.

But, even if the NFL disagreed, what are they going to do? I don't see them expanding into Canada in the near future at all, they have bigger problems like getting a team into LA and keeping their small market teams like Buffalo competetive. One reason why Toronto will never get a team as long as Buffalo has a team, I think at least a quarter of Rich Stadium is filled with Torontonians and southern Ontarians for Bills games and Ralph Wilson needs these people to keep the Bills successful.
You are right they cant do nothing to stop the CFL from expanding south. Or they can ignore the CFL and stop working alongside our league ... Wich would be a disaster imo.

I understand your point though. But personnaly i would rather see Halifax or Quebec(I'm biased 8) ) into the league then a huge American city where no one would give a s**t about our league.

I understand your point though. But personnaly i would rather see Halifax or Quebec(I'm biased ) into the league then a huge American city where no one would give a s**t about our league.
No, what I am saying is first get a 10th Canadian team before expanding into a US major market. It is how to get this 10th team I am worried about, they need a carrot of some sort after investing millions into a new stadium in say Halifax or Quebec City. And that carrot could be that CFL teams values will shoot up once an American city is in the league. I don't know of any other way to increase teams values more unless a sports network like Rogers wanted into the league big-time and was willing to offer way more money than CBC or TSN could offer, a tv network war if you will.

Good points Earl. If only i had a few millions to threw by the windows ... :smiley:

I think some of you guys are way off. Do you not remember the horror that was American expansion? Who gives a rat **** about that article, it's one particular point of view. Why did the CFL go into the US the first time around? Because the league was dying and it needed revenue. Why was the league dying? Unfortunately, I was only a wee nipper at the time, but as I understand it, teams began to hike up ticket prices to pay for increased salaries, and Toronto, BC and Montreal moved away from fan friendly stadiums. The CFL has always been successful as a small market league with fan friendly stadiums seating between 20-30 000. The CFL doesn't need to become a big money league, it's fine the way it is. The league's in the best shape it's been in years, the only setback this year was with the Renegades franchise, but think about it, when was the last time a professional football team in Ottawa had a winning season? It's been well over a decade. If and when the Gades field a .500 team, it'll show at the gate and they'll be as healthy as everybody else. Ottawa football fans just need a little hope. But I digress.

Leaving all talk of revenue aside, I think we as Canadians should cherish the fact that the CFL is a truly Canadian league, I like the fact that there is no American coersion in our game, like their is in so many other sports and aspects of our lives as Canadians for that matter. Despite the fact that Halifax is in a region that isn't exactly rolling in dough, I still think they should work feverously to put a team there, Quebec City too, the citizens of those cities deserve teams. Putting a CFL franchise in New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago would be an awful move. Who cares if those cities have over 10 million people, you'll have higher ratings and higher attendance in cities like Hamilton and Winnipeg with populations of 650-700 000 people than you would in those megalopolises. You honestly think a CFL team in New York would succeed alongside the Giants or Jets? Or with the Eagles in Philly and the Bears in Chicago? Pointless. If the league were to pursue American expansion, it should do it in a city like Portland, Milwaukee, or some of the smaller cities in the Northern states with decent sized stadiums with no NFL teams to compete with. Even still, those places would rather support NCAA college football than the CFL. I can honestly say, that if the league ever did move into the States again I'd turn my back on the CFL forever. That would be like selling the league's soul to the devil. Lets just ignore that bloody article and focus on the positives, which in my opinion, are currently proliferating and outweighing the negatives at this point in time. CANADIAN FOOTBALL BELONGS IN CANADA!!