Globe and Mail "Power 50" influencing Canadian Sport

1 Gary Bettman: It's clear that Canada – whether Quebec City, Winnipeg or Toronto – won't be getting a seventh NHL franchise without the commissioner's endorsement. The end-around tactic has failed. Meantime, several U.S. franchises are in financial peril and Bettman must also deal with the issue of player health and welfare, like it or not.

2 Keith Pelley: The Vancouver 2010 Games focus switches away now from organization and construction – the pesky Cypress problem aside – to consumer consumption. As head of the ------------ > (go to below link to read the whole list)

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/the-globes-power50/article1448393/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/t ... le1448393/[/url]

Bob Young ranks one above Jim Balsille

I guess it's the Globe and Mail's prerogative to write things as they see them in terms of their list of 50 as long as they understand that we don't ALL share their opinion. They are a very influential newspaper and therefore, carry a lot of clout in the world of journalism, but they are certainly not the only game in town.

I actually agree with much of their assessment, but not all. Gary Bettmann is public enemy #1 in these parts and probably across Canada. He is bent )IMO) to turning the NHL into an all American hockey league. This becomes more apparent every time he opens the gaping hole in the middle of his ugly face.

For 1 i doubt gary bettman is working alone to keep the NHL out of Hamilton

and 2... deciding where the NHL plays .. good or bad thats very influential weather we like it or not

I'm not a big hockey fan but do enjoy watching some. But have to admit, an NHL team for Hamilton would be great for the downtown, Saturday night we were driving to Oakville to visit some friends and you could see a lot of cars coming in to Hamilton on the 403 on the access ramps to the Rascal Flatts concert. I'm sure that would be the same for an NHL team, drawing people to downtown Hamilton in the middle of winter, tough thing to do.

But unless someone upgrades Copps in excess of $100 mill, and why would anyone do that without an assurance of a team, it's all a pipedream and Copps will continue to be an arena that holds 17,000 plus but isn't as nice as a junior arena like London has. Sad. And with an AHL team very few people care less about. Even sadder.

Spikejones » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:06 pm I guess it's the Globe and Mail's prerogative to write things as they see them in terms of their list of 50 as long as they understand that we don't ALL share their opinion. They are a very influential newspaper and therefore, carry a lot of clout in the world of journalism, but they are certainly not the only game in town.
Actually, I like these lists (The CBC put a similar one out recently) because what it does is spark good debate.......nobody is ever going to agree with any list of names voted on by others 100%...... much like the Grammys, Oscars, Miss America, judged sports like Figure Skating etc, always results in different opinions.

(speaking of which, how about that "Beyonce" last night at the Grammy's eh ?....Six!......and kudos to Neil Young ! )

Well, Beyonce is popular obviously. But whatever makes the bean counters happy on that one. Not saying she isn't talented, she is, but, but yikes!

Earl:
When you say, "yikes!," I'm betting you're in reference to the dress she "almost" had on.