Glenn named Starter

First off: no one is saying Glenn is a God. All the Glenn supporters are saying is that he gives the Cats a better chance of winning right now.

I do not expect Glenn to lead the Cats to a win over Montreal this week and nobody here should use that game as a measurement of Glenn's capabilities with this team. At best I hope to see some progress in the offence.

And yes, it is my opinion that if Glenn had been our starter all season we would not be tied for second in the East. We would have at least a 2point lead if not more.

We will not see Glenn come into his own as our starter until, at the earliest, the Sask. game. Hopefully it will not be too late to rescue the season by then. And hopefully Marcel will give him the time to get comfortable in that role.

That's not to say we won't get lucky against Montreal and or Toronto.

Porter fans stop being poor losers. We all want to win. If Glenn fans ticked you off, it was only because we wanted the best for the team. The decision has been made so support Glenn and it's time to stop putting words into the mouths of Glenn supporters, who, for the most part like Porter but agree he is not ready for prime time.

[quote="tcfan"

The decision has been made so support Glenn and it's time to stop putting words into the mouths of Glenn supporters, who, for the most part like Porter but agree he is not ready for prime time.
[/quote]
Ahhh..if only Glenn fans took this advice and quit blaming Porter for anything that went wrong in a game.

Thats my biggest issue...Porter cant do anything right, and Glenn can do no wrong (see my previous thoughts on the issue).

Building in the excuses already? I agree nobody should expect us to win against Montreal but there is no way Glenn and company can use excuses you bring up against Toronto. That is a game we should move the ball against if Dave Stalla is forced into duty as QB

See Alan Coopers post of wins/losses in another thread. Im not going to get into detail on it.

Then why was Porter's performance against Montreal two weeks ago used as a measurement of his capabilities?

If Setta made two field goals (one in TO and one in Calgary), we'd be 8-6, not 6-8. Fact is...that Glenn has started three games and won exactly ONE of them. Who's to say our record would be that much better? Its an opinion...not FACT that it would be better

As another posted noted...we shouldnt have trouble against Toronto. But then again the last time we played them we did lose. who was the starter in that one again?

Who has done that? Do you have an example?

Porter gets blamed for his mistakes just as receivers get blamed for dropping balls, and the D-line gets blamed for a poor pass rush. BGo Smith and Beveridge have been targetted. It's all fair game.

Bad play deserves criticism. Is Glenn perfect? No.

Has Porter played well? Yes.

Please stop making this an all or nothing issue. It is not. Concensus is that Porter is struggling. That's the coach's concensus too. So now you go with a a back up who has proven starter experience.

Fact is the the team is 2-6 in their last 8 games and the offense has been struggling. Time for a change.

Let's not push the panic button quite yet. Sure we have Montreal next, but Winnipeg has them twice and a hot BC team next week.

AN example was given (Stala/Glenn vs Porter/ABII). I can search for more if you want...

And I'm not making it an all or nothing thing. I think that the way the TEAM has played the last few games, it wouldnt have mattered who we started, our record would be the same. Its not JUST a QB issue..

Glenn was 29 for 44 ( 65%) 233 yds 1TD, no ints.

The Cats had one turnover. A fumble by Cobb.

Glenn had good numbers. He didn’t stumble and bumble coughing up the ball, spotting the oppsoition 14 points.

Sorry but lots of people are blaming Porter for all of the losses. In fact the majority are doing it, yet they fail to acknowledge that Glenn has a worse winning percentage. Porter cannot do a thing right in some peoples view and Glenn is never taken to task for the identical problems. Its disgusting

The fact is most here are saying a QB change is not out of order but some are realistic and realize that no matter who plays if the team plays like it did against Montreal and Winnipeg the past 2 home games the Cats will lose yet again. QB was not the entire problem on those nights although it was a problem.

Glenn was very bad for 2 quarters last game. You are correct he didn’t leave a 14 point deficit to clean up he left a 31 point deficit to clean up in garbage time

But it was still a loss. Thats my point. The team didnt respond..

and if you are referring to Monday's game..Porters fumbles did not spot Winnipeg 14 points...only 7. The other 7 came as a result of swiss cheese defense and Bo Smith not looking back for the ball...

I like Porter but one of his major problems is hanging on to the ball. How many fumbles does he have this year 8??

I think Glenn will make a difference right now.

I don’t think that anyone here thinks that Glenn is a god and the man to lead us to the promised land or any of the other statements you make.
I do, however, feel that the players are losing confidence in Porter and that’s what is important here.
I doubt that even if Glenn plays a stellar game on Sunday that the Cats can beat Montreal, however, I think that are chances of witnessing this minor miracle improve with Kevin Glenn at the helm.

You site the Bruce fumble in the Winnipeg game to help make your argument, but this fumble was uncharacteristic of Bruce who virtually never drops balls.
Bruce has gone on record as saying Glenn is the man and Porter needs more work. His statement which went something like the one I just quoted actually got him into trouble with his head coach for speaking out of turn. IMO, Bruce simply stated that which is on his team mates minds and he’s right.

Even though I expect another loss on Sunday in Montreal, our chances with Glenn remain superior to those of Porter’s at this stage of their respective careers.

Not just Porter's, Marcel as well. Why? For keeping the 3rd stringer in the games he should not have started. The cats as a team have lost a lot of confidence thanks to this duo. Hopefully they can get it back in a couple of games.

8)

Then again..well...

[my emphasis]

[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46801&start=105&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=glenn+mop]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46801&start=105&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=glenn+mop[/url]

No god references, but the use of the present tense is curious. What some folks will realize soon enough is whatever the backup syndrome yields for expectations for Glenn as a starter, the level of execution and general system design of the offense may soon mitigate against those expectations. One thing is for sure: at this point, any Glenn sighting in the Cat pocket gives me more confidence than that of Quinton Porter.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Here is the link to the article titled "Ticats going with Glenn" by Drew Edwards posted on the Hamilton Spectator website tonight:

http://thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/653395

Nicely put!

I will be very interested to see how the team responds to this change at QB. I had questioned whether the team was being held back by a lack of confidence in Porter's ability to lead them to victory. That may not be an accurate assessment, but I believe it has some merit. I think that a team can do some great game prep and be physically ready to play, but any nagging doubt can take off the mental edge needed to execute and perform. Porter just needs some time to gain experience, but this team needs to play the guy who has that experience, and that is Glenn.

tcfan wrote:And yes, it is my opinion that if Glenn had been our starter all season we would not be tied for second in the East. We would have at least a 2point lead if not more.

Mycko75 wrote: If Setta made two field goals (one in TO and one in Calgary), we'd be 8-6, not 6-8. Fact is...that Glenn has started three games and won exactly ONE of them. Who's to say our record would be that much better? Its an opinion...not FACT that it would be better

If you actually took the time to read my post I said "it is my opinion that if Glenn had been our starter...."

Lets say Glenn shines in the next game or two and starts the rest of the season. Would this end Porters chance at being the starter even next year ? I say no , if M.B is still the coach I think Porter starts again.

I read it. You provided opinion. I provided fact that got us to the same record.

You know what they say about opinions...

I think Marcel will have to gauge how Glenn performs. If he plays well and can lead the team into the playoffs, who knows? I would assume that a serious 2010 training camp competition will occur if current trends hold, though. That may be the occasion where Adam Tafralis begins to make a serious push in the depth chart, perhaps even supplanting Porter as 1A/2 in the "grooming" plans if Porter cannot rebound later this season or in camp.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ