Glenn is now a Rider

really mixed on this.

As long as we didn't break the piggy bank to get him, I am OK with this.

His experience will help Tino and probably DD (to a lesser extent) become better.

If he makes the team better, IMHO he does - it's a good move.

with Montreal and Winnipeg bidding for his services I don't think that he came cheap.
hopefully he's here for much more that just to be a backup as its time to start developing our own QB's
I know that this is a harsh statement but does any young QB really want to be here ?

From what I have heard Glenn wanted 100k guaranteed, which was might with faces attempting not to giggle.

I heard a number which is pretty unnofficial, but if it is true, I think it is a fair price. I will just say there would be about 10 players on the club making more than him if true.

I like Glenn as a 3rd string, OH SHITE QB...nothing more. He struggled witht the Lions last season, and Beck came in and outperformed him. Devlop a backup and have Glenn as insurance in case DD needs time off or is not actually ready from the elbow (he supposedly is and is throwing lots).

I also like that this kinda makes the team need to decide between Tino and Price (If any issues Price may or may not have been having are reselved and his is in camp).

To me this is a smart move on several levels. First a great insurance policy. Second I think Glenn could be a good mentor for the up and comming qb's. Third if it looks like things are going great and his services are not needed after the first half of the season and some other team's starter goes down he would be good trade bait. I really see no down side unless they paid way too much for him and he breaks the cap limits.

Jim Popp avait mentionné qu'il ne casserait pas la banque pour avoir Glenn. Il a travaillé le dossier avec bonne foi et Glenn aurait pu être une bonne acquisition, mais en fin de compte Glenn ne représenterait pas l'avenir de l'équipe. Il n'aurait été qu'un quart alors que l'équipe chercherait son successeur dès le départ.

Curieusement, le pari que Popp fait est que si Crompton devait s'avérer ne pas être à la hauteur, c'est-à-dire ne pas progresser du tout, ça ne changerait pas grand chose à la situation de l'équipe de le remplacer par Marsh ou Skelton. Si c'est son raisonnement, je peux le suivre et si l'embauche de Glenn aurait pu être une bonne chose, elle n'était certainement pas capitale.

Ce n'est pas la même chose pour les Roughriders. Ils étaient au coeur de la course pour le premier rang la saison dernière, et la blessure de Durant a tout fait foirer. Si Joseph avait été avec l'équipe depuis le début de la saison, il aurait peut-être mieux performé lorsqu'il aurait été appelé à jouer. Cette fois-ci, avec la présence de Glenn dès le début de la saison, les Roughriders seront mieux en mesure de faire face à l'adversité si le malheur devait s'acharner sur Durant.

Je demeure persuadé que Durant peut faire gagner plus de parties aux Roughriders que Glenn.

With this signing I doubt Tino will even have a job unless it is on the practice roster.

I tend to agree. At minimum, he will have to win it in camp. There are no locks beyond Glenn and DD.

Exactly. Popp is not big on bringing in Vet QBs. If the price was right, sure. I also agree with the Al's stance on developing and growing through it. Like I said...I hope he is #3 on the depth chart...insurance.

At minimum, BT has secured his job no matter what happens.

• Biggest hole on D, MLB...check mark
  • Lack of developed QB...check mark
  • Extending Dressler...check mark

those were the big 3 on his list. A few more of a lesser level have developed:

• Replace Foley...check mark
  • Fill OL gaps...he is working on it...doing all he can really.
  • WRs...we shall see, but he has made moves and bolstered National depth
  • Shore up the RB - Allen is not exactly a bust, IMO he missed the boat on Toston even though that was more on Chamblin. I know they are still in contact with Sheets. We shall see what came out of the mini-camps

I still dislike the loss of some draft picks, but he has supplemented by FA signings. The Riders have lost all of their early round draft selections to FA, and that is making it look a lot worse. That said, it shows that the players he is selecting are good picks.

[nn.
[/quote]
Exactly. Popp is not big on bringing in Vet QBs. If the price was right, sure. I also agree with the Al's stance on developing and growing through it. Like I said...I hope he is #3 on the depth chart...insurance.

At minimum, BT has secured his job no matter what happens.

• Biggest hole on D, MLB...check mark
  • Lack of developed QB...check mark
  • Extending Dressler...check mark

those were the big 3 on his list. A few more of a lesser level have developed:

• Replace Foley...check mark
  • Fill OL gaps...he is working on it...doing all he can really.
  • WRs...we shall see, but he has made moves and bolstered National depth
  • Shore up the RB - Allen is not exactly a bust, IMO he missed the boat on Toston even though that was more on Chamblin. I know they are still in contact with Sheets. We shall see what came out of the mini-camps

I still dislike the loss of some draft picks, but he has supplemented by FA signings. The Riders have lost all of their early round draft selections to FA, and that is making it look a lot worse. That said, it shows that the players he is selecting are good picks.
[/quote]
I am in agreement with Popp on the issue of bringing in old veteran QB's , develop your own !
the Rider management has to evaluate themselves as to why we cant develop or hang on to a promising QB as we have had a few behind Durant , last years expansion draft didn't help us either.
mind you everybody wants to start, and as was painfully evident last year you need a capable backup which we didn't have.
as I said earlier hopefully Glenn is here to also mentor the young QB's whoever they may be.

well, in fairness the Riders have pretty much always developed pretty good prospects at QB. It is hard to keep them if they are good though. just in the last basically decade (ish) they brought in Glenn and Willy and developed Burris. Atop of that, Jyles showed a fair amount of promise and did have a really solid year for the Bombers after he left. That is just off the top of my head. Heck...even Tate...they had to basically choose Tate or DD...they let Tate go.

i don't know, i'm kind of disapointed in this signing, i hope it doesn't affect the development of tino , i hope their not worried about durants recovery???

Look at the average age of this team. It is now or never with this lineup. Thus I think Glenn, if he has signed, is another major win for this organization for the upcomming year. The future is now with this lineup. Tommorrow (which may be a little bleak with the current situation) will have to take care of itself. Go get another Cup so Riders are at least sniffing at catching the next to last team in Cup wins. Then next year, start the unavoidable rebuild that will have to take place.

Fantastic football move.
A team is a fragile ecosystem. Win today ,but develop for tomorrow.
Best man up. KG is #2, But as for every football position-- lets hope someone steps-up and takes his job. But until that happens, we should be grateful for the invaluable experience that KG brings to the team.

Good signing. Provided of course that the trend of starting quarterbacks going down (where KG is a supposed to be backup) does not continue in Saskatchewan.

Sunseri did look good coming off the bench, so I did not expect him to be released just yet. So if Sunseri does not get any better, at least you have somebody who gives you a chance to win the game unlike last year with Kerry Joseph.

C'est une vue empreinte de bon sens. Mais est-ce que ça vaudrait alors vraiment la peine de verser 100K à Glenn pour être #3?

Je comprends que c'est le meilleur des deux mondes, mais je doute que Glenn aurait accepté de signer ce contrat si c'était pour se retrouver #3. Il aurait alors probablement signé un contrat avec les Alouettes où il aurait été assuré d'être #2 derrière un "débutant". Honnêtement, même si ça aurait été souhaitable, je ne crois pas que ça aurait été faisable.

Je crois que l'acquisition de Glenn demeure une bonne chose pour les Roughriders, même si ça suppose de retarder un peu le développement de leurs jeunes quarts.

Good move Riders.

No downside to this signing. Great insurance policy, just don't forget to develop Tino or Price.

Bring on opening day. :rockin:

Price is gone as he's not on the roster anymore.
they signed a new QB in Brett Smith who was with Toronto last year as their 5th string QB, he later played for San Jose in the arena league.

The real value to signing Glenn will be that DD now has someone that he can "talk QB shop" with when DD gets frustrated and starts getting into his own head. He has always done better when he has had the ear of an experienced person that has played the position. It alleviates some of the need for a proper QB coach. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Glenn decides to hang up his cleats next year and becomes the Riders QB coach.

Brett Smith was a good signing as well. His style is close to DD's style and I expect we will see him as the 3rd string behind Glenn.

I completely agree on your take about Glenn signing. It seems rational that he may have been swayed to come here with the option to be the qb coach in the future. This makes total sense for him and the team. Not only will it give him the opportunity to bond with Durant as a player but it also gives him a chance to see where he can help Durant make improvements not only this season but in the future also. I think Glenn could be a great positive in the team's confidence too. He seems like he is a great team guy and if anything does go bad for Durant the team will not be as concerned about who is going to step in. NO he didn't have a good year last year but that isn't all on him though. The O line sucked for the Lions and frankly it looked like after a few game the rest of the offense were not on the same page with Glenn and did not play to their potential.

Glenn really wants that Cup and ring as a player and I look for him to have a good bounce back year.