Glenn Extends Contract

OMG how on earth could I have missed that? The “very” changes everything lol.

I know something can be more than fair. But can something be very fair, as in more fair than fair? Would that be like giving 110%?

Ow! My brain hurts. (And I'm starting to see patterns that aren't there. Oops. Wrong thread.)

Good point !!

Reminds me of similar ones. . . you often hear of someone being overwhelmed; occasionally you'll hear of someone being underwhelmed. .. what does it mean to be just whelmed?

And if you can figure that one out, how about the meaning of "gruntled"? I frequently hear about 'disgruntled postal workers' for example. . .

The reduction in Quinton Porter's income is definitely
not related to the relative merits of Kevin over Quinton.

It may be indirectly related to what Kevin will make this year.

His increased salary may yet come from saving
on the salaries of new players at other positions.

George Hudson, Geoff Tisdale and Jermaine Reid
will likely be replacing with less expensive player's.

In reality, Obie has a big jig saw puzzle to put together
allocating salaries to players so they fit his total budget.

The natural extension of your theory is that player contracts should be performance-based with remuneration (above a base salary) being variable and determined on a year-to-year basis according to performance. If, for example, Glenn happens to blow this season and Porter has great success in relief, Glenn would need to yield say $50,000 in salary to Porter.
Interesting theory, but how do you deal with injuries under your system?

Isn't that what performance bonuses are all about? Isn't that how Glenn's contract was structured last year?

Personally, I like that type of contract. It lights a fire under the players' butts. The better they play, the better they get paid. And the better the team does, and maybe the more money the team makes. Although it could end up causing friction between players, especially receivers, all wanting the ball thrown to them every play to boost their stats.

The biggest problem with incentive based contracts is that they are typically based on measurements of individual success rather than team success. It is possible for scenarios to emerge where a player has a financial incentive to do something other than what is best for the team at a given moment.

Player contracts are based primarily on EXPECTED FUTURE PERFORMANCE. This helps explain why rookies who make the team, while they have no track record with the team, are paid more than zero dollars per year in their first season. Predicting future success for football players is not an exact science, so sometimes GMs make mistakes when they negotiate contracts. Unforeseen events (e.g. freak injuries) are one of the risks that a football club takes on when they offer a contract to a player (though CFL rules seem to offer very little financial protection for injured players).

While past performance is not a guarantee of future success, a player's performance (along with other knowledge about the player) is a big factor in a coach or GM's evaluation of what kind of contribution the player can make in the immediate future and in the longer term.

Players and GM's both take risks when they negotiate contracts. The uncertainty of future player performance is one of those risks.

An elite, in-demand player has the luxury that if a team is only willing to offer an incentive-based contract with little signing bonus or base salary, he is likely to be able to find some other team that IS willing to offer a higher signing bonus and/or base salary.

In short: players who are believed by coaches and GMs to be able to deliver superior performance in the immediate future have the negotiating power to demand more money, because teams will compete to buy their services.

In shorter: players who are expected to contribute more tend to get payed more.

Further to my last post:

An important factor in attracting free agents is to create the perception that the team will "take care" of its veteran players (within reason). Contract extensions have positives for both the team and the player, and one of the positives for the team is that it demonstrates to players around the league that when a player steps up and demonstrates what he's worth, the team is willing to pay what he's worth. It's largely about thinking long term. If you constantly nickle and dime your players or issue ultimatums too often or take too much advantage when the balance of power is in your favor: players will remember. And they will talk. It's a small league, and you can bet that word gets around when too many players on a team don't like how their management treats them. If I were a player, that's one more reason I'd be concerned about David Braley owning more than one team (not because of anything Braley has done as an owner, but by the mere fact that ownership in the league has become more consolidated).

IMO, you're walking in a mine field if you try to make players' salaries performance-based. There are a whole range of factors outside of the control of the player that can affect performance, and therefore, remuneration. And, again, how do you deal with injuries?

Exactly ...it didn't take long to come up with just one obvious complication. You can repeat the same argument for other player groups - running backs, kick and punt returners, etc, etc.

A well-deserved extension for Kevin!

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

What...
Porter had a lack of success?
Hes a young stud that has a really bright future, have you seen him run with that ball.

Not convinced of that at all.

One great game against Montreal in 2008; since then, nothing.

Handed the starter's role in 2009, messed it up and lost the job to Kevin Glenn

2010; nothing to make me think the 2009 decision was wrong.

Bright future?

Sorry, don't see it.

Based on the record, that great game against Montreal back in 2008 was a flash in the pan, rather than a portent of things to come.

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/03/15/glenn_tigercats/]http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/20 ... tigercats/[/url]

Glenn signs extension with Ticats

March 15, 2011 by Arash Madani sportsnet.ca

The deal will allow Glenn to avoid hitting free agency at the end of the season when his original deal with the franchise - signed in the spring of 2009

after being cut by Winnipeg - was set to expire.

Including a signing bonus believed to be $75,000, Glenn could
make as much as $300,000
should he hit his incentives,

or effectively repeat last season's individual numbers.

A press conference will be held later this week, likely Thursday.

With Avon Cobourne pounding the ball and Marcus Thigpen
getting a lot more use in the backfield as running back,

Kevin will likely get a lot more out of our running game.

I am confident he will keep up his high percentage passing,

and am confident that his receivers will make great plays

hopefully Kevin will hit all his incentives
and earn every penny of his bonus money

including play off and Grey Cup bonuses.

Yippee!!

P.S.

Hmmm..his contract was for $130,000 last year
with bonuses as was Quinton Porter's contract.

I can't see how the reduction in Quinton Porter's salary
could account for the raise in Kevin Glenn's salary,

or even the $75,000 signing bonus. Do the math.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that quarterback Kevin Glenn has signed a contract extension with the team that will keep the team’s 2010 Most Outstanding Player in Hamilton through 2012.

Glenn, a 5-10, 203-pound native of Detroit, Michigan, put together one of the best single-season performances by a quarterback in Ticats history last season, completing 388 of 602 passes (64.5%) for 5,102 yards and a team-record 33 touchdowns. His completion percentage and passing yards were the second highest single-season totals in team history.

For more info: http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats ... evin-glenn

For reaction from Bob O'Billovich and Marcel Bellefeuille on Ticats TV: http://www.ticats.ca/video/index/id/16817

Meanwhile in WPG...

Kevin, nice contract for a great QB. What is shocking is QP and Kevin were signed for the same money last yr. What was up with that?

8)

Some history first...

Kevin Glen had lead Winnipeg to the Grey Cup in 2007
but he got benched after starting off poorly in 2008

even though he came back strong later in that season
he had fallen out of favour with their fans once again.

In the off season, Winnipeg's new head coach Mike Riley
brought in his own boy and declared him their starting QB

so Kevin was out of a job. The other CFL teams were set
at starting QB and they wouldn't pay him starting QB money

Obie had that going for him, and

Quinton showed potential with his passing late in 2008
having an especially good game and a win in a Montreal

Also, the fans got excited seeing a 6' 5" 228 lb guy
often take off and run with the with the football.

Quinton had become a favourite in many fan's eyes.

Obie took advantage of that, and Kevin Glenn's
"out of favour" situation, to pick him up cheap

and the team marketed Quinton as their # 1 quarterback
and despite Kevin being far better at running the offence

Quinton was declared our # 1 QB after training camp.

The team got some early wins so Marcel stuck with Quinton
for half that season but Kevin has outshone him ever since

All good points, however that doesn't explain why they both got signed for the same money in 2010. Kevin was obvious the superior QB after the later half of the 2009 season which he should have been clearly named and paid starting QB rates for in 2010. No matter, Kevin got a nice signing bonus this yr. Maybe this is Obies way of saying nice job last yr..

8)

If Kevin signed a 2 + 1 contract when he came here Obie isn't going to open that contract up and re-negotiate.

I know Kevin earned much better starter money before but if Quinton a got a season-ending injury early
at least Kevin would be able to earn a lot more money beyond his base salary by reaching his bonuses.

Obie is following an old time Tiger Cats tradition.

He throws nickels around like they are manhole covers.

I feel the same way but we don't write the cheques, Obie does.

That's it doc, pro sports a "what have you done for me lately?" world.

I think you mean Mike Kelly.
By 2008/2009, Mike Riley had been gone as head coach of the Bombers for about 18 years.