Glen Suitor Revisited

Geez, all first quarter, all Glen Suitor can do is gush over how good Kevin Glenn and the Bombers are.

I'm sure just like two games ago, the Winnipeg fans are going to be whining about how biased Suitor is.

OOOOPPPSSS............no, he's fawning over the Bombers. That's okay. It's only when he compliments the other team that he's being biased.

Suitor isnt really much of a homer. At least I never found that to be the case. Some will disagree with me, but really when you compare him to Walby, Suitor is the epitome of objectivity when to compare the two.

Suitor will have a heart attack when the Riders win the Grey Cup in 2089. You heard it here first.

.....even I'll admit that was kinda funny.....

Agree he is not a homer, he is though the best colour guy in the CFL.

He's not a team homer, he's a player homer. He has his guys that he can't stop talking up no matter what they do. Damon allen could start a game 0 for 10 and he'd be "struggling", but if he then completed a 30-yard pass, Suitor would make it sound like Montana to Dwight Clark.

Still, for colour he's the best of a bad lot.

He can be a bit of a starf***er, but he more or less speaks in complete sentences, and uses actual words, unlike Chris "let's throw together some syllables" Walby.

Chris does have a plus side...
He doesn't have a girl voice, like Suitor..
Thats for sure, not that we hate girl voices..
It just Walby has the CFL sound, going on for him..

I don't mind Chris Walby to be honest. He gets really into it and gets me pumped up when I'm watching CFL on CBC.

When Armitage calls a game in late fall...
On the CBC network....
Up the gut....means something...
And he sounds great calling it...
GO CBC...

Yeah, man! I wouldn’t let a Grade 2 english class anywhere near him, but at least his enthusiasm really comes off a genuine.

I wonder what current players would make good play-by-play men?

I've been really impressed with Benefield on CBC.....not his pre-programmed segments, but his commentary when they let him on the panel. Sure isn't afraid to call a spade a spade, and also manages to inject some humour into it. If I was TSN I'd look at picking him up for next year.....he'd be the only CBC talking head I would consider hiring (Millington is unintelligible half the time, Frers is boring, Khari Jones isn't bad but is not an upgrade over what TSN already has).

Right! Prefontaine was 1-6 on long-distance kicks coming into the game. He hits one 50+ yarder, and. . ."HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!" according to Suitor.

I'd rather have the colour guy praising players, though, than criticizing everyone like Chris Collinsworth does on NFL games. That gets old even quicker!

[quote="MadJack"]Geez, all first quarter, all Glen Suitor can do is gush over how good Kevin Glenn and the Bombers are.

I'm sure just like two games ago, the Winnipeg fans are going to be whining about how biased Suitor is.

OOOOPPPSSS............no, he's fawning over the Bombers. That's okay. It's only when he compliments the other team that he's being biased.

...just remember the 'hammer'....i don't remember him insinuate that the Bombers will 'bomb the hell' out of the Argos tonight.... and then saying'oh sorry Argo fans'...although that would have been nice...heh heh....can't have it all i guess :lol:

...and oh yeah.......beware the 'hammer' tonight MadJack :wink:

I'm certainly not overconfident about tonight, papa...........glad we're playing at home.

TSN will need a 4th crew next year, so hopefully both Khari and Benefield will be picked up, as they are both very good. and I think Khari is an upgrade over Danny Mac anyway.
Benefield might stick with CBC though, as he sees himself as a writer first and broadcaster second, so he might actually have broader opportunity at mother CBC.

...Khari ....definitely....Benefield ...possibly....Danny needs to smooth his routine a bit...otherwise i can handle him...ditch my fellow 'Pegger' Black...he's better on figure skating broadcasts....what about Walby????....he's knowledgeable... but can't see him getting any better on his delivery...Millington....so-so....Frers...so-so....Armitage should retire...Friedman is annoying at times but might stick on TSN...I think there's gonna be a few unemployed crew members from the peoples network...will be interesting to see who tsn will go with.... :roll:

Danny Mac might get better. It is his rookie year. I think he needs to slooooow down a little and he'll be better. Frers has gotten slightly better, so maybe there is hope for him, but Millington has got to go.
And Walby's been at it for a decade or more, so no hope of improvement there.
He is the worst homer in broadcasting and isn't a very good caster to begin with.
Interestingly enough, some of the technicians with CBC are really good, and hopefully TSN can benefit by picking a few of those guys up.
Of course the best ones will likely remain with the mothership....

I wanted to slap Walby last week with his ridiculous Elvis impression.

And Frers... I don't like him. He's kind of a douche. :lol:

I much prefer the TSN panel, even if Shultz is a little too in-your-face at times.

To get back on topic, Suitor may have players whom he favours, but he is still the best colour man in the game by a country mile. Show me another CFL colour man who has the same combination of knowledge, personality, and articulate enthusiasm. I'm blown away that some people favour Walby when the guy can't say five words without tripping over his own tongue. To be a sports commentator, knowledge is not enough. You have to be articulate or you are going to ruin the game for your viewers.