Glen Suitor on Whether TSN is forcing the CFL to Play on Thursday Nights

Suitor says No.

League wanted to create a weeknight specifically for CFL football. Suitor goes on to say that while he does not want to speak for TSN, he suspects the network would rather have the games on Friday night + weekends.

They already play Friday nights and Saturdays. The question becomes why are they not playing on Sundays? I have to think TSN’s commitment to other sports over rules the CFL priority. Glen Suitor’s opinion is biased considering he is employed by TSN

4 Likes

There is no reason not to play on Sundays during June July and August and earlier in tbe day.
The oroblwm is tvst would cinflict with Tennis and Golf.

1 Like

I think the CFL were playing Thursday games long before TSN got the rights to broadcast the games, so I don't think they're forcing it on the league.

I do think TSN is likely pressuring (if not outright forcing) the league not to schedule Sunday games most weeks.

3 Likes

It sounds simple doesn't it.
when all reason is lost...... just add logic.

3 Likes

As a rural Rider fan Thursday does not work for anyone driving in for the game.Apparently 50% of attendees are from out of town.So it makes a huge difference in that way

2 Likes

Thursdays are just not a good night for Football in general, in any league. I certainly don't want to go to a game on a Thursday night, maybe have a beverage or two, and then have to go in and work on Friday morning. And that's without any real travel.

2 Likes

Silly sportstalk show host keeps using the argument that the CFL should abandon the Thursday games because a team would not have enough rest if they played on Saturday and then had to play again on Thursday. So, his suggestion is to drop Thursday, keep Friday and Saturday. Plus, add Sunday.

Huh??? So he has a problem with Saturday->Thursday because a team playing in that time-frame is too soon, yet he has no issue with Sunday->Friday even though the number of days rest is the same?

Glen Suitor also clarified that the CFL and TSN are united in having games on Thursday. Suitor says they are a partnership and if Thursday night games are shown to be detrimental to the league and it hurts attendance that badly, together they would move the games off that night.

Thursday night football is a crap night. The short week can be brutal on some teams especially if it's back to back road games. Friday and Saturday are best for CFL imo.

2 Likes

TSN saved the CFL. Then they destroyed it.
They are bssicly in tbe same reguard as David Braley now.

2 Likes

Would Suitor say the same if he wasn't being employed by TSN?

Either way, I am not a big fan of Thursday games. I still think when they were doing the Thursday concert series it made more sense to have that on Friday to help kick off the weekend with a party atmosphere.

1 Like

I like Thursday night games, because it means only one more day till football. But I'd like to see football 7 days a week so I'm prejudiced that way.

There are a number of things wrong with the CFL schedule. First, playing a regular season game before July 1st should be stopped!! In June, fans are watching the NBA Finals, the Stanley Cup Finals, not to mention that high school students are focusing on writing final exams in June. So there goes your younger fan base. Second, I said it before and I’ll say it again, July 1st is Canada Day. Why not start the regular season of a Canadian League and Canada’s birthday? Thirdly, the best nights to have a guaranteed football fan base in Canada for the CFL is to spread the regular season games over the entire weekend until the NFL season starts; then transition to Friday night and Saturday night games - non work nights for most people. Fourth, play each team in the CFL at least twice, once in each team’s home field. That way, the fans have a chance to see all of the CFL teams. For example; Edmonton plays Calgary 4 times this season, and Winnipeg 3 times. I love local rivalries too, but this is beyond comprehension. The CFL needs to sort out the schedule and fast, before they start losing more fans.

1 Like

I agree. If you eliminate the division and go with Canada-wide league in term of determining the playoff match-ups. 2 games each against every CFL teams in the league, home and away, you'd have 16-game season and that should end it right there. It has two-fold benefits: cost saving of hosting one extra home game and salary paying the players and each players could extend their career by a year or two over time by wear and tear.

Fans might be able to afford one extra seat or two if they wanted to, promoting a game to a new fan either by family friend's kids. That means, every game counts toward to the end of the season with high stake match-up every games because a loss or two against a key match-up will cost them a playoff home game or a bye in the playoffs because only half of the league will get the privilege. You'd have fans coming to games because of high-stake game rather than lackluster regular season games due to how divisional format is set up even a bad season still get its home game in the playoffs. Fans knows that a certain teams don't deserve a home gate in the playoffs with that mediocre season and that might turn them off from attending a game or emotionally attach to the league. They are not that stupid. :slight_smile:

Where’s Maury Povich when you need him? Cause the lie detector determined that was a lie.
Both have been proven to be the case

The chances of the league going to a single division with the state of the eastern teams is close to zero. There have been years where if the league was a single division no eastern teams would have a home game. This would lead to less revenue for eastern teams and most likely a somehow shittier ownership group for teams like Toronto.

1 Like

Sorry Cool Can’t agree with you If saving money by not having a home game is a problem,then your team is in big trouble.Also Players make to little money as it is without foregoing more salary.

I'm sorry I legitimately don't understand what you are trying to say.

A previous post stated a shorter schedule would have the benefit of the expense of one more home game My opinion was home games make nothing but money where I’m from.Replied to the wrong guy, my mistake

You can always go watch minor league football at your local football field in your own city. Minor league football is quite entertaining, and free. They like the support.

4 Likes