Giguere rejects TiCats contract offer, will likely hit FA

They could ditch Guigere, reduce Fantuz's salary or pay him more this year out of next years salary so they can free up cap space to go after Dressler who is a free agent.

Under the current rules (which WILL NOT be debated here - there’s a separate thread for that, thank you), we need at least seven national starters. Both Fantuz and Giguere are national players and are capable of starting. Dressler, while definitely capable of starting, is an international player. If we ditch Giguere, that’s one fewer national starter. Where do we get and where do we play another national? Plus, there’s no guarantee that Fantuz would accept a salary reduction; in fact, I would be very surprised if he did, given how close to the end of his career he is. And I’m not sure the team is allowed to pay part of next year’s salary early.

At this point, I’m thinking going after Giguere with a bit higher offer would be smart. Given Fantuz’s injury issues the last couple of years, as well as the fact that he’s in his declining years (still able to get open, but not able to do as much after the catch), I’d be more willing to lose him than Giguere.

Offensive line.

Fantuz and his agent must face the obvious fact that Andy is nowhere close to being an elite receiver in this league any longer and should not expect to continue to receive elite-level salary. His best approach would be to negotiate a more realistic salary and avoid being the target of the criticism and resentment that will invariably result if he demands being paid at a level that he can no longer earn nor justify. Otherwise, the Tiger-Cats will need to consider taking the same approach as they did with Dave Stala.

Yes, let’s award and promote mediocrity. That would be completely in keeping with the roster restriction rule!

8) Would not be shocked, or surprised at all, to see Fantuz not a member of the TiCats next season !!
   Huge salary, plus injury history, plus salary cap issues, could lead to his demise as a TiCat for 2015  !!

Apples and oranges.

There is no such thing as overpaying a player in the CFL. A player can be released at any time… So if a team is paying it is because they are ok with it.

Crash, you know better than that to feeding the seymore "get rid of all the Canadian players and abandon the ratio" troll...

That’s always an option, and assuming our injured national o-linemen are back, that could work out. But given that Fantuz will be gone soon, wouldn’t it be good to have a second starter-quality national receiver?

He’s still very good at finding the open spot. But he’s definitely getting close to his best-before-date, if he hasn’t passed it already. But yes, he is probably going to end up as a backup soon like Stala.

When given his opportunity at slot, he performed quite well, possibly as well as Fantuz. He was definitely better than Fantuz after catching the ball = better speed, better strength. Not the best receiver on the team, but possibly tied for best national receiver. And more shelf life left than his competitor.

He actually believes that eliminating the national rules would improve the league. Just because we don’t agree with him doesn’t make him a troll.

Apples and oranges… absolutely!

The Fantuz problem is characteristic of the damage that the ratio restriction can inflict on the league. A player being paid far above his current contribution and skill level but still being handed a roster position because the team has very few viable options available to meet the antiquated and counter-productive rule. Money being wasted to prop up the roster rule instead of being used to bring more skilled and exciting players into the league and improve the team in other areas.

Luke Tasker represents the type of skilled, entertaining and exciting player that the CFL desperately needs to best showcase the unique CFL brand and attract fans to the game. Instead, the CFL still forces its teams to fill more than 40% of their rosters with players who are selected not because of skill, talent and ability but because of nationality.

The league sorely needs a lot more Luke Taskers and a lot fewer ratio rule “hangers on”.

Oh Gee, Seymour.
I thought there was another separate thread for this anti ratio rant,
In fact there are a few!
Every time a thread gets started that has a Canadian 's name in it, you tell the same story over and over and over,etc.,etc.

Yes, sadly, some people only learn by osmosis! :lol:

The important thing is that you keep trying to educate the rest of us morons who think we like the Canadian content in the CFL.

I actually take issue with what Grover wrote. I think there has been a number of threads this year where a Canadian player was mentioned and you did not take the opportunity to rant about the ratio.

You can review every comment I have posted on this forum and you will not find one single instance where I stated that Canadians don’t belong in the league. In fact, the exact opposite is true. I have stated many times on here that I want to see Canadians in the league - the more the better - but on one simple condition: that they legitimately earn their roster positions through ability, skill and talent and not simply due to free passes granted to satisfy some arbitrary and demeaning roster restriction.

You just said it again!
http://content.forum.canucks.com/public/style_emoticons/default/2utgv3d.gif

Grover never said that seymour says there should be no Canadians in the CFL. He said that seymour very often goes into the ratio requirement in threads referring to Canadian players. That I believe is true. He doesn't do it in every single post he makes, but I think Grover was not intending it literally.

Seymour doesn't like the ratio requirement. His reasons are stated very thoroughly in this thread, as are the views of those (like me) who do like it:

[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72243]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72243[/url]

I don't think the requirement is demeaning to the players, as seymour suggests in this current thread. Neither do I think his remark about those who disagree with him needing frequent repetition of his views on the ratio so they can "learn by osmosis" is demeaning to those who disagree with him-- the smiley suggests he probably meant that in jest. I don't think he is a troll, as someone here suggested. He makes lots of excellent comments in the forum. I do find the repetition of his complaints about the ratio unnecessary, as well as unconvincing. It's one of those subjects that people disagree about.

Happy new year to everyone.

Ask any GM and they will tell you that CIS players (the bulk of Canadians in the CFL) need work when they arrive in the CFL, more so than Americans who have played longer, year round if you include development camps, played more games. So if Seymour had his way there would be no point in continuing the development of Canadian players. Anyway there is nothing wrong with the current system. CIS is constantly improving (Another team in Trois-Rivieres) is coming on line in 2017 and fans following Canadian players through their CFL career.

While I prefer the ratio and would actually like to see more Canadians mandated on rosters, I completely agree that it is a worthy topic of discussion and all viewpoints are valid really as long as you're a current CFL fan of some degree. I certainly have no crystal ball as to what is "right" or "best" for the league, just my opinion.

While I agree with you in principle Earl, when someone states the same argument over and over it does get tiresome. It isn’t trolling by any means just very frustrating. Perhaps a new argument, covering the same issue would be welcomed more.

:cowboy:

My frustration with Seymour’s premise is that he never touches on the cultural aspect of what a Canadian pro league can be about, it’s simply you want to sell the league then the rules should be simple ie. make the rules so that anyone can earn a position regardless of nationality. The frustration is, and Seymour can correct me if I’m wrong, is that by making the league open to anyone, no ratio, therefore automatically the league will be more prosperous in every which way imaginable. No ifs, buts or ands as Seymour sees it on that one. And really that’s all that counts in Seymour’s mind, you sell the league with the best players you can find. A pro league of whatever nature shouldn’t care less about anything else other than that.

Hey, that’s fair enough, it’s like some people having faith in something. Faith has kept many religions alive and well for centuries despite some sketchy documentation and academic basis for that faith in whatever it is.

Sigh.