Getting McCallum

Ready or not, here comes McCallum to Vancouver - the question is whether the Lions' GM is going to be sharp enough to keep O'Mahoney to punt (he's a much better punter than McCallum) - if they want a Lions share of the kicking game, they'll find a way to keep both -

He may keep both, but if he can get a player of value for O'Missy then Duncan could be gone.

Stay tuned...the soap opera continues!

"What were you doing with Linda at my beach house?"
"tacking El Nino!"
"YOU PIG! (SLAP!!!) I love tracking El Nino!" :lol:

Now I'm confused.....

Help! jm02...translation please.

You wanted a soap opera!

Ahhhh I get it now...humour.

Now if I wanted comic releif, I'd read your predictions about BC finishing 5th! :wink:

I don't want to be too critical, but signing McCallum means more missed 18 yarders, and double the crap on his lawn. It's just the way I see it, but if I were Buono, I'd be looking at younger kickers who have something to prove.

Trouble is Esks123, you want to find a young Canadian Kicker. If you bring in an American, you give up another spot on your roster. I know Epstein came in an kicked for you guys when Flemming was struggling, but I noticed once Flemming was back on track the Eskis let him go.

I think McCallum is a quick temporary fix. The BC natives were restless and impatient last year with Duncan's inconsitancies. The talk shows were filled with callers, demanding his head on a platter.

The Lions can ill afford to go through another season wondering if O'Mahony will have his FG kicking troubles again. And the West is too competitive to be consistently leaving points on the field.

McCallum is a veteran kicker who is almost automatic inside the 40, something O'Mahony wasn't.

Good move Wally.

Last week BC GM said that McCallum was going to do all three kicking jobs this year -

Before accepting that, everyone (including GM) needs to look at McCallum's 2005 stats -

Kickoff Average - LAST IN 9 TEAM LEAGUE
Punting Average - 7TH IN 9 TEAM LEAGUE
Net Punting Average - 8TH IN 9 TEAM LEAGUE

Before the Lions let O'Mah walk over a few pennies or pass him off to another team in a trade, they'd better take a hard look at these stats (wind or no wind, indoors or no indoors) -

With McCallum doing all three, Lions have improved field goals, but the numbers say they will fall off in kickoff and punting phases of the kicking game (two out of the three phases) -

So where's the logic in this move?

If Bret Anderson stays on as a Slotback, they may use him for kickoffs.

Does Lui have a son?

Actually he does.... I read some where he was playing at some highschool but the name escapes me!

Well, they do have a lot of wind on the Prairies. Maybe McCallum will have more success under the dome? In any event, he’s a welcome respite from O’Mahony kicking 3s. As stated already, O’Mahony left way too many points on the field, and this had to have demoralized an already fragile offense.

CORRECTION

McCallum was 6th in a 9 team league in net punting average last year - almost 8 yards below the leader and 4 yards behind the second (O'Mahoney)-

REASON (EXCUSE) GIVEN: McCallum kicked the ball out of bounds or away from the return men -

QUESTION - THEN WHY WERE 70% OF HIS PUNTS RETURNED FOR OVER 600 YARDS?

McCALLUM WAS CLEARLY LAST IN THE 9 TEAM CFL IN KICKOFF AVERAGE (2 YARDS LESS THAN O'MAH)

BUT BC'S TRYING TO GET RID OF O'MAH?

CLEAR CONCLUSION - LIONS NEED TO KEEP BOTH

Theres a chance they could keep both too! With the roster expansion, they could keep McCallum for FG's and us O'Mahoney for punts, unless agood offer comes up for him.