Get rid of Americans

No professional sports league ANYWHERE has a citizenship bar upon foreign players, period. As someone with American lineage, I resent the blatant discrimination inherent in any effort to bar American players simply because of their passport. Given the history of the Canadian game, it's ludricrous.

Russ

I'm not sure about that, I know a guy who played pro basketball in Germany and there was a limit on the number of non-German citizens and I think Japanese baseball might have this as well as hockey and soccer leagues in some parts of the world. So the CFL certainly isn't out of line in this respect I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

Quotas are another thing entirely – most foreign sports leagues in football, hockey, and basketball have quotas re the number of foreign players who can play on a team roster. I’m discussing that there are no total bans on foreigners in sports leagues. Perhaps North Korean soccer is the exception, but I digress.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Gotcha, okey dokey. Yeah, I can’t recall if there is a total ban on foreigeners, you’re probably right on that in terms of pro sports.

Bo Smith??

From waching his play IMHO a CIS QB would bring better exp at the Canadian game and would be much further ahead in progress than QP!
This is PURE BULLSPIT ...

Yeah, MAYBE the Canadian would be AHEAD in terms of FAMILIARITY with the Canadian BRAND of Football, in terms of RULES, and maybe some MINOR nuances -

BUT, whatever SMALL advantage gained is COMPLETELY OBLITERATED in terms of TECHNICAL ability, FUNDAMENTAL footwork, and throwing mechanics, TALENT, and playing EXPERIENCE. Not to mention ability to play the game at anything APPROACHING the SPEED of pro football.

The SPEED factor, ALONE, is enough to CRUSH the Canadian QB argument … I mean, THINK about it … not just the SPEED of the impending RUSH, but the SPEED of the WR they are throwing to, and eve the SPEED of the RB they are handing off to. Nevermind the SPEED of the DB’s, Safety, and LB’s he his trying to BEAT with his throw.

I mean, SERIOUSLY !!! If you have ANY doubts about ANYTHING I have said then all you need do is go down to Alegheny County in Pennsylvania, and watch some COUNTY, or STATE Championship games. The STARTING QB’s in those games could EASILY step in for ANY QB playing in the CIS in this ENTIRE Country, and not feel out of place.

The VAST MAJORITY of people in this place have ZERO clue as to what it TAKES to be a PRO ATHLETE, let alone a PRO Quarterback.

As BAD as Quinton Porter has been this season- the man is LIGHT YEARS ahead of ANY QB in this Country. It is LAUGHABLE to believe, think, or DECEIVE others to believe, or think OTHERWISE.

The man started for a Division I NCAA football team. He has, UNDOUBTEDLY, received COACHING, and MENTORING from, no less than, a DOZEN Ex-NFL QB’s at no less than a dozen football camps throughout his JOURNEY as an American QB. The TRAINING, KNOWLEDGE, and EXPERIENCE he has gained even before graduating HIGH SCHOOL, puts to SHAME, ANYTHING the average CIS QB has on their resume. The number of players he has BEATEN out to get to Boston College would be better than the QB’s in this country. Gimme a Fr-Eakin BREAK!!

As MUCH as I RESPECT the Canadian ATHLETES in the CFL … As much as I RESPECT the CFL. …As much as I APPRECIATE the EFFORT, TIME, determination, DEDICATION, and pure blood, sweat, and tears the average Canadian athlete has put into the sport of football … this league would be NOTHING without the American players who make their way north of the 48th … NOTHING. Especially at the position of QB.

Until such time as Canadian football programs DARE to DREAM of training their athletes in a manner that even begins to APPROACH the American MODEL … it will remain so for a LONG time to come.

Peace.

Can you please repeat that Mean, I'm not sure I understand. :wink:

As much as I would LIKE to EXPOUND on the virtues of ALL that is the American Football Training Complex ... It is time for me to PUNCH the clock and get to work.

G'Nite.

Peace.

MEANSTREAK,don't YOU just HATE it WHEN the CAP lock STICKS?
I KNOW i DO.
BLOODY jam SANDWICHES!!!!! arrggg

Don’t you mean…

“meanstreak,DON’T you JUST hate IT when THE cap LOCK sticks?
i know I do.
bloody JAM sandwiches!!! ARRGGG? ?

There, that’s better.

First of all, I think this thread is kinda silly, however:

I would like to see some Canadian Quarterbacks developed.

The only thing I would change about the current import rules is that each team would have to have at least 1 non import QB somewhere on the roster, on the practice roster at the very least.

Even if it means adding one player per team, so that teams could keep the 3 QBs they currently have.

With 8 new jobs for Canadian QBs, the hope is that eventually 1 will make it.

Perhaps Obie should look into hiring an American OC with prior pro football experience.

8) Well, Mike Gibson, our OC, is an American !!
  He does have prior pro football experience, with Sask. and Winnipeg.

Well, his CFL experience shows why he sucks at OC. Lets try for someone with prior NFL OC experience.