George Cortez

IMHO I think that George Cortez is the top Candidate and the most qualified to assume the Head Coaching job for the Cats.
Cortez has been coaching for 30 years, 18 in the CFL and has a tremendous resume.
Cortez has ties to Obie from previous teams and IF Obie could lure Cortez from being QB coach for the Bills to Head Coaching our team it could be one of Obies greatest acquisitions as GM.
Cortez has developed QB's Jeff Garcia, Aaron Rodgers, Dave Dickenson,Henry Burris and Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.
I think he has coached almost every position in the CFL including O/C, Offensive and Defensive lines, Defensive backs, Running backs and Special teams.

I like Cortez for the job too, Grover. Pretty impressive resume you offer on his behalf.

As qualified that Cortez is, the obvious trend seems to be younger up and coming coaches.

But Hamilton has already been down that road with MB.

I agree with you the recent trend but believe it to be because of lack of good, experienced coaches.

We should consider who has won the grey cup the last 20 year+ years,

Wally Buono (x5), Don Matthews x4), Marc Trestman (x2), Ron Lancaster (x2), John Hufnagel , Kent Austin, Danny Maciocia, Pinball Clemons, Tom Higgins, Steve Buratto ,Adam Rita, Dave Ritchie

Only a few "young" guys on the list.

that may be the trend, but not necessarily sound judgement.

O.K. - I'll go along with that.
BUT ( there's always a but... ) - if Cortez is so impressive, why has he never been a Head Coach?
Besides - once you go to the States, you rarely come back.

:cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

Just win the 'Cup next year...the rest is just a distraction. :expressionless:

If you believe in rumours and what some papers and Dave Naylor are reporting, the hot property for both the Cats and Riders is Kent Austin?

Would the Tiger-Cats be able to match the $ that Cortez makes in Buffalo?

8) Sure they could. At least Cortez would not be demanding the kind money that Austin apparently is asking for.
  Rumours have it that he would expect around $400-500,000 per year, plus a lot more control of the team than just 
  being HC.
8) Good old Charlie came back from the States !!! :wink:
  As far as why Cortez has never been a HC yet, it all boils down to being in the right place at the right time !!

This is the part that worries me somewhat. The younger and unproven candidates such as Cory Chamblin and Dave Dickinson would come in for considerably cheaper, but will we get results? The hardest part of Obie's job is to bring in the coach that will produce a winning football team and thereby fill the stands of IWS, without emptying the coffers.

...or the Roughriders' 2010 $6.6m profit?

I must agree that George Cortez must be included in Obie's list of candidates. If Obie doesn't pursue Cortez and interview him, then I will not be satisfied that he has done his due diligence. Cortez has the most CFL experience of all of the candidates that have been mentioned. It's truly amazing that he has only been in assistant coaching positions thus far. I'm not sure if the Cats could lure Cortez away from the NFL with their lucrative salaries, but perhaps the offer of a Head Coach position would be tempting. It's really worth a shot to at least try! :cowboy:

the best reason for not going after cortez is that we can't afford to wait for the end of the nfl season.
it would be almost two months before we'd have him signed, and by then there'd be no decent co-ordinators and assistants available. at least none that he'd want, or be able to have.
other than that, he'd be a great hire.

The season for the Bills will end Jan. 1/2012 which is 3 weeks after tomorrow.
IMHO the Bills will not make the playoffs after losing the last 5 games.
B.C has their coach in Benevides.
It is between us and the Riders.
After the way the Riders unceremoniously dumped Greg Marshall last year 8 games into the season without giving him a chance to turn the team around, quite possibly destroying his head coaching career, perhaps some front name coaches might be a little gun shy of Tamans trigger finger.

Grover wrote:

"After the way the Riders unceremoniously dumped Greg Marshall last year 8 games into the season without giving him a chance to turn the team around, quite possibly destroying his head coaching career, perhaps some front name coaches might be a little gun shy of Tamans trigger finger."

Something that I read, but never really considered until now. That could be a factor in Austin's signing as well. After all his good friend, Eric Tillman, who brought him to the Riders as a coach, is no longer GM there. And, yes, that could be a sticking point with other co-ordinators who could be looking to jump from their current positions to Saskatchewan. And besides, the skanky move that management there pulled on Marshall, a large number of their fans didn't offer much patience either.

This could be the BIG swing in Hamilton's favour.

Grover: Plus the fact that George Cortez would not have to move. He could stay in the Buffalo area (I am assuming he does live there!).
I think he would be great for us.
I would also be glad to see Tim Burke or Dave Dickenson but I think Cortez would be less of a shot in the dark.

I'm wondering if George is even on Obie's menu. He is presently under contract to Buffalo at least until the end of the year, but time will tell. I think he would make a very good candidate for the job.